Sign in to follow this  
Meltdown

How has the recession hit you, as a football fan?

Hello –

I am currently in the process of researching and authoring a study on how the recession has hit football.

The general consensus of ‘experts’ in 2007 was that football was “recession-proof”. I think the past three years have probably indicated that this was not (and is not) entirely the case. A startlingly small amount has thus far been written on the topic too – we get the odd bit here and there but nothing detailed and certainly nothing comprehensive.

Part of my research comprises a short questionnaire, the results of which I intend to put to football finance experts, fan bodies and a selection of clubs themselves. This questionnaire is aimed at fans; primarily how the recession has influenced their spending on football and attendance of games themselves.

I would be extremely grateful if you could spare a couple of minutes of your time and complete this survey (located at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/football-recession ). It comprises 18 questions and should only take 2 or 3 minutes to complete. I am aiming to get responses from fans of every league club in the country.

It would be of huge benefit to me if you could help with this. If you have any questions (or, indeed, something to say on the subject), feel free to contribute them to this thread & I’ll do my best to answer them.

Mods – I hope this is in the correct part of your forum, thanks.

Thank you, & good luck for the rest of the season!

Meltdown

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/football-recession

I go to / watch less games as I virtually live at work. Being self employed I''m one of those guys who could easily justify time off like everyone else but feels guilty when my hand''s not on the tiller as it were.

The recession certainly seems to have hit the hotel trade. Most away games we are picking up cheap hotel deals which means you can make a weekend away rather than the early start Saturday morning and late home that night. You can normally get a room in a Holiday Inn for £30 -£40 a night when their normal rate is anything from £80 - £120.

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]

I''ve got more money than I''ve ever had and the recession certainly hasn''t stopped me going to football, or enjoying other football related activities.

[/quote]you cant treat me to several pints next time i see you then!

Quite well

I was able to buy quite a few thousand City scarves after a local company went bust.

Sales were sluggish until I renamed them yellow and gold scarves.

If I have any left by the time we go to Bristol Rovers I might head down to Cornwall and sell the rest down there.

Without wanting to sound too smug it hasn''t. I do find the cost however of parking near the ground to be day light robbery! its £4.20 at the NCP on clarence road all day! just to watch football it goes up to £5!!!! i also think Fuel to get to where you need to go is boarderline insane at 118p per ltr.

im in the car game , it was like watching a storm brewing .

i watched everyone trying to get out of big cars and sell down from having two cars in a house-hold to one .

the big cars were not making money ,infact losing money at a vast speed ,in the end the place i worked at shut down .

i then went on to work for a company who puchased cars from a on-line quote ...from this i had never seen anything like it .

people losing jobs and forced into selling cars for peanuts ,and owing money to fianace ompanies in the process...let me tell you this company are milking it at the moment .

i no-longer work with them due to the way i felt customers had been completely miss-led.

im currently helping a new furniture company set up ,and the guy has dome this before with a big company he sold for a vast profit some time ago .

in the meantime i have been working with a friend of mine on a website ,and hopefully a new buiseness ,but like everything it needs time and money thrown at it .

www.norwichcartrader.co.uk.

its been a funny year or 2 for me ...!!!

[quote user="The Duke"]Without wanting to sound too smug it hasn''t. I do find the cost however of parking near the ground to be day light robbery! its £4.20 at the NCP on clarence road all day! just to watch football it goes up to £5!!!! i also think Fuel to get to where you need to go is boarderline insane at 118p per ltr.[/quote]

Royal Mail usually run a charity car park nearly opposite the NCP one from about Midday and it costs £2.50.