Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Holt's Red

I agree that little other than a straight red I am afraid as clearly by Holts reaction after tackle he had lost plot. Seen too many times where clearly ref lost control . The Brentford player went in two footed for no reason and could have been dangerous but Holt had clearly had enuf and did a cheap over the ball tackle. Holt as cour center forward gets a lot of stick which he rarely gets protection from ref he needs to work on how he deals with ref in these situations . Some forwards are far better at keeping ref on board and getting free kicks etc. I suspect his problem from what I ahve seen is back chat to ref too much too much complaining can be counter productive

It''s off the ground, he has two feet there with studs up, it''s a red. He should have just pulled out of the one I''m afraid. He was, however, fouled in the build up to the foul as he was pushed, which, for some reason, gave him a rush of blood to the head. The main thing is we came out with a win to show for it, the team didn''t let us down.

Very poor referee IMO.

The Brentford player slid in two footed, studs showing from a long way out so that is unquestionably a straight red card.

Holt could have been trying exact revenge, which would also mean red, or he could simply have been trying to avoid an atrocious tackle - I don''t believe anyone other than him can really say which.

His immediate reaction suggested to me it was the latter but I don''t think he can have too many complaints about his red.

But it was a total nonsense for the Brentford player not to get one as well - we all know that the ref has a difficult job (at times) but that wasn''t a difficult decision.

To me when watching it at normal speed it simply looks like Holt was turning and intending to put his footdown the other side of the ball to shield it, I don''t think he saw the Brentford player until late who by that time was showing him the bottom of his boots.What is insane is that we got the free kick and their player didn''t get booked at all. It happened reletively quickly and from his reaction on the replay Holt isn''t sure weather to berate the player or offer him a hand up. The Brentford player on the other hand, realises that he has also been stupid - has a little glance at the referee and then feigns a bit of injury to try and con himself out of a card.Having said that when down to 10 men we pushed on and stayed solid. Brentford seemd to go to pieces - not knowing quite how to try and break down a team with one less player in it, they lost organisation which allowed us to nick one.Having said that if it had continued the way we started they would have been tonked. So probably still a good result for them. Does anyone know how many of their fans ended up attending?

Its the dark side of Holt which is a shame. We need a player who is a bit of a bastard at times but that tackle was poor and a definate red. To the people who are claiming he tried to avoid the tackle, he must be awful at avoiding things. Landed right on his legs, if he was trying to get out of the way he could have gone either side of the player.

Definite red, and very disappointed that some of our players had the nerve to surround the referee and complain about it (Although thats just the way of footballers these days). Although the Brentford player was lucky not to be booked in the process.As the previous poster says, its the dark side of Holt. The few times ive seen him live he seems a very niggly player, constantly getting on the refs back. Hes clearly a class player, and hes certainly someone you would rather have on your side, but he needs to be careful.