Sign in to follow this  
chicken

How they do fall . . . . . Jason Jarrett

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5812903,00.htmlGot to chuckle a little on this one. I can only think that injury and severe loss of form has led to his slide down the leagues and being rejected by Vale at 30 isn''t going to help you much.Part of me feels sorry for him because when he signed for us he came with much praise from Wigan who wanted to keep him even in the midst of a promotion season. He never seemed to realise that potential with us or with any of the clubs he has been with since.

i think there is something really interesting about Jarrett.  He clearly has talent given his performances at Wigan and his reputation when he came here.

But he failed here for now apparent reason.  He played badly of course but was not a bad player.  Then he has been loaned or transferred to how many clubs without ever settling or making his mark.  Players make bad moves such as Thorne here and Fleck to Chelsea but when they move on again, usually the old form returns and they get on with their careers like Thorne here and Fleck to Chelsea.

There must be some psychological issues with Jarrett which have made him unable to regain anything like his old form despite so many tries.  After all, he was poor here but even that form would be good enough for League 2.   Whatever it is, he has lost his career and must have had miserable experiences over the last few years.

There is a sad story here.  One day we may find out what but it is a real mystery.

He is a strange one

He''s played for 14 clubs in 11 years - 8 of those in the 4 years since he left us.

Why do managers/clubs keep giving him a chance?

A bit like Fozzy really - is there such a shortage of midfielders that unsettled journeymen such as these can still get a contract somewhere?

I suspect that he got an injury which really knocked his game, perhaps he couldn''t sprint or turn or move as quickly as before.  Lots of clubs have given him a try thinking "well, he might be a bargain and his wages are cheap" but they soon realise why he''s a bargain and his wages are cheap, and he moves on.Worryingly, he is exactly the sort of player Bryan Gunn would have signed during this season''s transfer window.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Worryingly, he is exactly the sort of player Bryan Gunn would have signed during this season''s transfer window.

[/quote]

along with Holt and Askou then....

To be fair to him, sounds like Port Vale wanted to keep him actually, he ain''t what we''d hoped for, but maybe he can still cut it quite well in league football, i''ll certainly have his talent if he doesn''t want it!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Worryingly, he is exactly the sort of player Bryan Gunn would have signed during this season''s transfer window.

[/quote]

[/quote]Do you want to be much more selective?  I was thinking more along the lines of Tudur-Jones, another once-promising player who''s lost it &/or is always injured.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Do you want to be much more selective?  I was thinking more along the lines of Tudur-Jones, another once-promising player who''s lost it &/or is always injured.

[/quote]The difference is that Jarrett actually played some games and still sucked.Its very easy to slag a managed off over a bad signing but on the same level you seem unwilling to praise Gunn for the good signings he made. As I have said before Gunn actually appears to have had a good eye for a player - his main failing was in getting those players to work well as a unit. A good scout or player recruiter maybe but as a manager it at least appears that he struggled.We have had had much worse managers in Hamilton and Grant (althought strangely Gunn supposedly helped Grant quite a bit) who had far more flops than successes. And for what it is worth Gunn was at least brave enough to challenge the mentality of some of the players like Fotheringham.The worse signing of Gunn''s so far appears to be Theo and surely this should be your ace card and not Tudor-Jones? Although again it appears that Theo was more to do with Crook than Gunn.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]The difference is that Jarrett actually played some games and still sucked.Its very easy to slag a managed off over a bad signing but on the same level you seem unwilling to praise Gunn for the good signings he made. As I have said before Gunn actually appears to have had a good eye for a player - his main failing was in getting those players to work well as a unit. A good scout or player recruiter maybe but as a manager it at least appears that he struggled.We have had had much worse managers in Hamilton and Grant (althought strangely Gunn supposedly helped Grant quite a bit) who had far more flops than successes. And for what it is worth Gunn was at least brave enough to challenge the mentality of some of the players like Fotheringham.The worse signing of Gunn''s so far appears to be Theo and surely this should be your ace card and not Tudor-Jones? Although again it appears that Theo was more to do with Crook than Gunn.[/quote]Signing Grant Holt was hardly a hard decision though, was it?Askou, yes credit there.  Gill looked pants but then against Millwall looked okay.As well as Theo, which was so obvious I avoided it, I could also have used McVeigh or Maric.

"To be fair to him, sounds like Port Vale wanted to keep him actually"

Actually, if you look at his history the club he is leaving seems to say that quite a lot....I think it''s one of those football phrases like a manager leaving ''by mutual consent''

;o)