Sign in to follow this  
ref89

Danger of tinkering with success?

I throw this in as a thought.  We have a half decent winger in, and it looks like it might be permanent.We are playing so well with the diamond, Russell excelling at the back, Hoolahoop at the front, and Drury and Otsemobor now starting to get forward effectively. Are we in danger of tinkering with a successful team and formation?

I don''t think Lambert will tinker with itBut if it''s not working we can now change things and bring on half decent players.

Depends if Lambert changes the formation really doesn''t it. I doubt he will but at least he now has the option.

I know what you mean but I think we can''t keep the same formation forever (even if they do say diamonds are forever...bad joke)It''s good to have options in the squad to mix it up as now, in our next league game, the oppo manager has a harder time second guessing what team we''ll come out with... will it be a diamond... or, will it be a flat 4 across the middle? All successful teams need to be able to change and adapt etc...

Yeh, probs not the best idea to bank on our ''diamond'' staying injury free all season. Got a feeling Lambert knows what he''s doing here mate...

We need to be flexible enough to play in any formation. If we always play the diamond, then other clubs will counter this. In any case, apart from the Lappin''s set pieces, we play through the middle which is crowded by opponents and it needs all Hooly''s skills to make progress. If he has a poor game, or if other teams work out how to deal with him, what do we do?The diamond is OK, but it is narrow and makes little wide progress. If we encounter a ponderous full-back, then someone like McN could produce a flow of crosses from the by-line which are difficult to defend, and get round a team which has come merely to defend.I just hope that he is not seen as a replacement for Hooly, because I doubt if he is that.

I agree with the need for a plan B, but I would rather it wasn''t a conventional 4-4-2 which will go back to teams pouring through the midfield into an open defence.

A 4-3-3 maybe with one winger and Smith on the right to harry the opposition, but Russell or OTJ still back covering in front of the defence. Add Cody up front in the second half and break with pace but still covered at the back. It''ll be interesting to see what Lambert and the two Ians come up with. OTBC!

i think pacey wingers are a must for us at home where a lot of teams have defended deep and in numbers, hopefully mcnamee will give us the option to spread the ball wide quickly and get some decent balls into the box, also have to hope he''s not another croft who consistently flattered to decieve!!

we have enough ammo to batter most teams in this league regardless of formation....don''t you worry me old beauts!!

[quote user="ref89"]I throw this in as a thought.  We have a half decent winger in, and it looks like it might be permanent.

We are playing so well with the diamond, Russell excelling at the back, Hoolahoop at the front, and Drury and Otsemobor now starting to get forward effectively.

Are we in danger of tinkering with a successful team and formation?
[/quote]

Hoolahan is superb in the diamond but if he''s sold in Jan or gets injured we are screwed. We need options.

McNamee is a left sided midfielder so presumably can play on the left side of the diamond (which has been the obvious place to inject some pace into the side for a while now) or as an orthodox left winger in a 4-4-2. Looks like we''re just giving ourselves a few extra options which can only be a good thing.