Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

What happened to Michael Ricketts?

It was the same player who scored a bag full of goals for Bolton Wanderers about 4 years ago and won an England cap, wasn''t it?  I remember him being lithe and speedy whereas the 2009 model had the mobility of Audley Harrison.  It''s funny how some players just seem to lose it completely, though maybe it''s age or injury-related.

Had the same conversation yesterday at the game. Its amazing how some players go on unexpectedly to make the grade ( Owen Hargreaves??? Peter Crouch???? ) while others with a great future predicted, dont.

Some players peak at different ages. Although there seems to be this thing about most footballers prime being around 27/28 I think its more about how players learn to adapt to their age and the style of football around them.Look at Francis Jeffers - when he burst onto the scene he had all of the clamouring Wayne Rooney had but never cut it after that. You would think that if you had true quality that Wenger would get it out of him but down he went and is still no good really. Never set the world on fire with goals or ability.Ricketts is the same to me - had a few good games and then nose dived. These are the kind of guys that make Ade Akinbyi look like Maradona. Just look at their goalscoring reccord!

He looked overweight and unfit to me. Several of us were talking about it during the first half - he was hand on hips trying to get his breath before half time. sad really - but not for us yesterday!

they also had Marlon Broomes at the back, i remember him being a premiership player with Blackburn and them tipping him for a sterling international Career.

kind of like Darren Kenton was for us i guess.

by the same token ian goodison( the big centre half with the dreadlocks) played for jamaica at france 98 and is now 36/37 and still looked fairly decent at this level...god knows what happened to ricketts ? i think he looked more gary mason than audley harrison   [:D]