Sign in to follow this  
Christov

Just got back from the game

As this was the closest game of the season for me at about 30 miles I thought I''d give my post match report.Firstly, make no mistake this was a battle I would say the ball spent about 70% of the time in the air.  However much to my surprise we weren''t the shrinking violets that we usually turn out to be in away games, we actually got stuck in and gave as good as we got.  Having got to the game about 5 minutes before kickoff (a few too many beers in a near by pub!) I wasn''t aware who was starting so had to find out as the game went on.  First noticeable change was the keeper with Forster starting, I have to say I was quite impressed with him, he won everything in the air and was quite brave at going into crowds.  Saying that I think he only had one save to make the whole game.The next change was Nelson who I thought had a really good game, the only way to describe him is no nonsense!  Nothing got past him but his distribution and game plan was simple, get it as far away from goal as quickly as possible and it worked.  His goal was top draw, he''ll ache tomorrow if he didn''t stretch well as I didn''t think people of his size could be that acrobatic!Other than those 2 changes we were the same as the Wycombe game, that worked so why change?  We started off pretty well putting some good passing moves together but as the game progressed it became more of a battle of who could header it the hardest, the pitch was very narrow so there wasn''t a lot of space or time on the ball.Once the second goal went in we looked a lot more confident  and composed and started to play really well, at this point Hughes was getting his foot on the ball and starting to make things happen.My only criticism was that Cureton was on for far to long, he looked exhausted by around 50 minutes which surprised me as he did nothing all game.  It was good to finally see Norwich not get bullied on the road but in truth Hartlepool were a very poor side that offered very little attacking threat.  The jury is still out for me until I see us turn over more teams in similar type games.Forster 6 - did everything that was asked of him but had little to do.Semi 6 - looked ok at the back but did not get forward much/if at all.Askou 7 - solid at the back, some good headers and blocks.Nelson 8 - took his goal well and and was solid at the back.McVeigh - tried to get the ball down whenever possible and put some good crosses in.Hughes 7 - very quiet first half, came to life once he scored which was well worked with Holt and coolly finished.Smith 8* - my man of the match, don''t think there was a blade of grass he didn''t cover, this kid has a hell of a future if he carries on like thisLappin 7 - a good game, supported the midfield/attack and tracked back well when needed, seems to be a lot better under LambertHolt 8 - Ran the pool centre halves ragged, this guy has an awesome work ethic.  Nice touches and link up play.  Unlucky with a diving header but should of squared a ball to Daley rather than shoot himself near the end.Cureton 5 - Really can''t see what he offers the team, is slow uncomposed and clearly not match fit, should not of come out second half.Adeyemi 6 - got stuck in when he came on and looked lively.Daley 5 - for someone that''s supposed to have lots of pace he didn''t beat any player in a race for balls over the top.  Got the impression he couldn''t be bothered.Cody n/a - only got about 2 minutes but got a great reception of ''England''s number one''!All in all a good day out.  Next game Carlisle!

Cheers for that, you didn''t give McVeigh a rating though, I agree with you on the whole although from listening, it sounded as though Daley chased a lot and caught the ball when the defenders seemed to think it was a lost cause.

He saw the game though Wiz, so it may have seemed different. Don''t forget, people who give their opinions based on a radio commentary are only basing them on someone else''s opinion.

Whoops.  McVeigh would''ve scored a 7 had I remembered to put it in!  Daley did chase a lot but I was left with the impression he could probably have run quicker and won the ball, it seemed like he was stuck in 2nd gear to me.  Hartlepool''s defenders looked relatively immobile to me.

[quote user="Captain Holt"]He saw the game though Wiz, .[/quote]

Err? so did Adams and Lambert, who don''t have whipping boys Captain, I know who I believe!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I find it odd that everyone thought Jamie played well, even Lambo...........and yet you...............

[/quote]He won nothing that was put his way and you can count the passes he complete on hand.  For a pro footballer to be bent over gasping for breath after 50 minutes in is not a good sign.  This was just before we score the second and were having a few corners so I was about 10 feet away from him!

Drury was okay, luckily the winger he was playing against wasn''t the quickest.  Having Lappin track back helped a lot as between them they were able to thwart most attacks from pools right.

If we had lost 1-0 you''d find a lot more people questioning the decision to persevere with Cureton Nearly.

Because we won, his performance doesnt matter.

I give it a few games for him to get a goal or two, but I dont think we can wait forever- this is not a situation in which we can afford to carry a player.

I think we''ve got two nice flanks now that really help each other out. McVeigh improves Semmi''s game so much because he really helps him. There seems a nice understanding between the two. Now it sounds like the left hand side has become a good outlet too.

[quote user="Christov"]As this was the closest game of the season for me at about 30 miles I thought I''d give my post match report.

Firstly, make no mistake this was a battle I would say the ball spent about 70% of the time in the air.  However much to my surprise we weren''t the shrinking violets that we usually turn out to be in away games, we actually got stuck in and gave as good as we got. 

Having got to the game about 5 minutes before kickoff (a few too many beers in a near by pub!) I wasn''t aware who was starting so had to find out as the game went on.  First noticeable change was the keeper with Forster starting, I have to say I was quite impressed with him, he won everything in the air and was quite brave at going into crowds.  Saying that I think he only had one save to make the whole game.

The next change was Nelson who I thought had a really good game, the only way to describe him is no nonsense!  Nothing got past him but his distribution and game plan was simple, get it as far away from goal as quickly as possible and it worked.  His goal was top draw, he''ll ache tomorrow if he didn''t stretch well as I didn''t think people of his size could be that acrobatic!

Other than those 2 changes we were the same as the Wycombe game, that worked so why change?  We started off pretty well putting some good passing moves together but as the game progressed it became more of a battle of who could header it the hardest, the pitch was very narrow so there wasn''t a lot of space or time on the ball.

Once the second goal went in we looked a lot more confident  and composed and started to play really well, at this point Hughes was getting his foot on the ball and starting to make things happen.

My only criticism was that Cureton was on for far to long, he looked exhausted by around 50 minutes which surprised me as he did nothing all game.  It was good to finally see Norwich not get bullied on the road but in truth Hartlepool were a very poor side that offered very little attacking threat.  The jury is still out for me until I see us turn over more teams in similar type games.

Forster 6 - did everything that was asked of him but had little to do.
Semi 6 - looked ok at the back but did not get forward much/if at all.
Askou 7 - solid at the back, some good headers and blocks.
Nelson 8 - took his goal well and and was solid at the back.
McVeigh - tried to get the ball down whenever possible and put some good crosses in.
Hughes 7 - very quiet first half, came to life once he scored which was well worked with Holt and coolly finished.
Smith 8* - my man of the match, don''t think there was a blade of grass he didn''t cover, this kid has a hell of a future if he carries on like this
Lappin 7 - a good game, supported the midfield/attack and tracked back well when needed, seems to be a lot better under Lambert
Holt 8 - Ran the pool centre halves ragged, this guy has an awesome work ethic.  Nice touches and link up play.  Unlucky with a diving header but should of squared a ball to Daley rather than shoot himself near the end.
Cureton 5 - Really can''t see what he offers the team, is slow uncomposed and clearly not match fit, should not of come out second half.

Adeyemi 6 - got stuck in when he came on and looked lively.
Daley 5 - for someone that''s supposed to have lots of pace he didn''t beat any player in a race for balls over the top.  Got the impression he couldn''t be bothered.
Cody n/a - only got about 2 minutes but got a great reception of ''England''s number one''!

All in all a good day out.  Next game Carlisle!
[/quote]thnx Christov [Y]   Holt looks like a great signing...works his socks off and gets goals...great combo

I think Lappin and Drury make a good partnership down the left hand side. I''ve particularly been impressed with Lappin as he is a different player now then when he was playing under Peter Grant!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I find it odd that everyone thought Jamie played well, even Lambo...........and yet you...............

[/quote]Wiz...you cant keep defending him m8...his job is to score goals and it isnt just happening for him for what ever reason, we cannot afford to carry any player

he is 33 and on the way down im affraid...and by the looks of it dropping like a stone

[quote user="city till i die"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]Wiz...you cant keep defending him m8...his job is to score goals and it isnt just happening for him for what ever reason, we cannot afford to carry any player

he is 33 and on the way down im affraid...and by the looks of it dropping like a stone

[/quote]

He drags defenders out of postion mate, and creates space for other players to exploit, Lambo sees this.........its a pity some fans can''t!

They call me a flip flop, but on Curo and Lambo I won''t change.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="city till i die"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

He drags defenders out of postion mate, and creates space for other players to exploit, Lambo sees this.........its a pity some fans can''t!

[/quote]im not saying he doesnt...but he is paid to score goals m8...he just isnt

Cody imo offers us so much more....i know your views wont change on JC m8 lol   i hope he does start bagging them away it will be good for NCFC  i just cant see it myself

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="city till i die"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I call you a flop. The "flip" part is simply your nature. [;)]

I went to the game too and whilst agreeing with most of the OP I have to say I thought making Smith MOM was wrong. He did OK but didn''t stamp himself on the game as was the case for most to be fair. The wind was definitely a factor and Hughes was much more in the game the second half when he had it to his back as again was the whole team. Cureton was OK but never looks like scoring as he''s just far too slow. He runs around and makes a nuisance of himself in some ways but we can''t afford a forward duop in which one of them never scores.

A good solid result however on today''s performance I doubt that the likes of Leeds and Charlton will be too worried. However if the boys can put a run together, confidence grows and then it''s a different matter. One thing''s for sure we are going to be around the top half of the table if we continue to apply ourselves as we did today.

Just got back from the game myself and these are my initial thoughts:

Forster - didn''t have loads to do but was reall solid and commanding.  Seemed to read the game well.

Lappin - covered a lot of ground and made some incisive passes as well as tracking back and covering well.

McVeigh - I was not convinced about bringing him back, never mind playing him,but he was involved in both of our goals and showed that bit of skill and class that turn games.

Hughes - Showed some skillful touches and there were signs towards the end that he will be a real asset at the heart of our attacking play over the season

Holt - I liked the fact that he never game their defence any rest and spent as much time as they did pushing and shoving his way around.  I was particularly impressed with the fact that when when one of their players (Monkhouse) started getting a bit shirty with some of ours it was Holt who took it upon himself to let him know that he wasn''t going to mess with us.  Real captains stuff which will have gained respect from the rest of the team.  He must keep the armband for the rest of the season.

Smith, Adeyemi, Daley - Smith ran his socks off and Adeyemi and Daley both worked hard when they got on.  I''m just so pleased to see them given a chance and acquitting themselves well as opposed to rushing to pad out our massive squad with loan players.  If we persevere with these and the others coming through it could makle such a long-term difference to the spirit within the team.

Cureton - Not spectacular but contributed through his inter-play with Holt and his intelligent running.  He''s past his prime but can still contribute to the cause.

The defence - Hartlepool were no Colchester but we did at least contrive to keep a clean sheet which will do a lot for the confidence of everyone at the club.  I think that they will improve as individuals once we get a settled line up and they begin to know how each other plays.  There were times when the central two either went for the same man or got caught out of position but that will happen when you have to keep chopping and changing the team.  I was pleased for Nelson as he had a successful afternoon after his stinker on the first day and his goal was really well taken.  I couldn''t believe it was the same person who only has one strategy when the ball comes to him.........hoof!!!  Semi had a couple of walkabouts but nothing major, Drury looked solid as always and Askou (for me) was the better all-round central defender.

In summary - Hartlepool looked a lightweight side that will finish near the bottom.  We put up a competant display and never really looked in trouble.  There were one or two moments of class and in the second half the passing game seemed to be really coming together.  Crucially, no absolute bloopers liem we''ve had most games so far! We now need to try to establish a settled team to allow them to develop the understanding of each others positional play to really build on this.

My Man of the Match - Holt - lead the front line robustly as well as the team.  A character player that we can build our team around (at last!!)

[/quote]

[/quote]

We all have our own opinions on Cureton.  I''ve been really surprised to see him even in the squad and would have preferred Cody.  Having said that, all I can say is that based on today''s game, Wizard, I''ve got to agree with you.  It''s not just about scoring goals it''s about the overall shape and effectiveness of the whole team.  Today Cureton was a good "foil" for Holt, and he does pull defenders around using his experience and nouse.

[quote user="Dronny Canary"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="city till i die"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We all have our own opinions on Cureton.  I''ve been really surprised to see him even in the squad and would have preferred Cody.  Having said that, all I can say is that based on today''s game, Wizard, I''ve got to agree with you.  It''s not just about scoring goals it''s about the overall shape and effectiveness of the whole team.  Today Cureton was a good "foil" for Holt, and he does pull defenders around using his experience and nouse.

[/quote]I''d just love to see him get a couple of goals to see if that would really give his game a lift, this is the first time whilst playing for us that he''s had that big target man beside him that his game requires.There''s no doubt in my mind that if we get the ball to him in the right positions he could still score a lot of goals

Dronny, I have just got back from the game and I agree totally with your report.

I would add that Cureton ran his socks off today and worked well with Holt.

Lambert did not put a foot wrong. Great man management to play Nelson. Great substitutions made at exactly the right time.

I thought Daley was impressive when he came on. He plays on his toes and I thought he was lively.

My three best players were Askou, Hughes and Holt. Very impressed by Hughes who has a fine touch and yet is a ball winner.

Our goalkeeper on this showing must be first choice!!

Don''t worry Wiz, for some people Cureton will have to score a hat-trick or he will have had a shocker. I noted Adams say he played well but didn''t get any chances which he''d be disappointed with. It''s very naive to think a striker''s only contribution is to score.....unless it''s Earnshaw.

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]Don''t worry Wiz, for some people Cureton will have to score a hat-trick or he will have had a shocker. I noted Adams say he played well but didn''t get any chances which he''d be disappointed with. It''s very naive to think a striker''s only contribution is to score.....unless it''s Earnshaw.[/quote]

It is also equally as naive to assume that peoples opinions are based on Cureton not scoring. It would be natural though, as a striker to asume that at some point he might score. I think you are missing the point. Hard work is one thing yes but what we all seek from a striker is goals. He can work hard all season but if he doesn''t score goals he is useless. He is afterall the one of the two who is supposed to bring in the majority of the goals. That''s his job but so far Holt is out scoring him and he is putting in a shift in terms of work rate. You are right by saying that there is more to being a striker but that is in addition to and not instead of scoring goals.

[quote user="foggo7"][quote user="Dronny Canary"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="city till i die"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''d just love to see him get a couple of goals to see if that would really give his game a lift, this is the first time whilst playing for us that he''s had that big target man beside him that his game requires.There''s no doubt in my mind that if we get the ball to him in the right positions he could still score a lot of goals
[/quote]

May be 10 years ago but not now. Cureton is just too slow and that showed yesterday.

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]Don''t worry Wiz, for some people Cureton will have to score a hat-trick or he will have had a shocker. I noted Adams say he played well but didn''t get any chances which he''d be disappointed with. It''s very naive to think a striker''s only contribution is to score.....unless it''s Earnshaw.[/quote]

Cureton is just too slow to get onto the ball when chances are provided for him. There was a chance at the away fans end yesterday in the middle of the goal. He was in the central part of the penalty area, the ball was fed in from the side but he was too slow in running onto the ball and thus the opportunity passed by.......