Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Tudor Jones & Gill

2 games, 2 losses. Unbelievable Butterworth started these 2 together again last night. Surprise surprise the defence was under he cosh the whole game.The midfield is the most important area of the pitch, it dictates our attacks and determines how busy the defense will be. TJ and Gill were abysmal against Col U, and again last night it did not sound good. Before the game when i heard the team sheet i said thats it weve lost.How can i spot this, yet a professional football man in Butterworth not realise that TJ and Gill were awful v Col U and shouldnt really play together?Adeyemi and Hughes on saturday please.

I think TJ looked alright last night. He is such a physical presence that he gives you some solidity in the middle. However Gill was anonymous and needs to be replaced with hughes on sat,

I think Adeyemi and Hughes would remind a lot of fans of Francis/Safri. Adeyemi seems to be that box to box midfielder we have been lacking for years now, and Hughes isn''t the strongest of players but has technical ability, passing ability and a good midfield brain.

Please Lambert play Hughes and Yemi

[quote user="Barclayman"]2 games, 2 losses. Unbelievable Butterworth started these 2 together again last night. Surprise surprise the defence was under he cosh the whole game.

The midfield is the most important area of the pitch, it dictates our attacks and determines how busy the defense will be. TJ and Gill were abysmal against Col U, and again last night it did not sound good. Before the game when i heard the team sheet i said thats it weve lost.

How can i spot this, yet a professional football man in Butterworth not realise that TJ and Gill were awful v Col U and shouldnt really play together?

Adeyemi and Hughes on saturday please.
[/quote]

Simple football, isn''t it? You can''t play two holding midfielders. It doesn''t work (unless, of course, you''re playing more than 4 in midfield). It''s no coincidence our most succesive times recently were with an attacking midfielder in Damien Francis - why don''t we replace him!

Oh, and as for last night not sounding good. I went and you''re right. They were both, awful. Gill was worse on the night but I''ve seen both home friendlies, the Colchester game, and the Brentford game and I still think OTJ is slightly worse than Gill. I do not rate him at all.

[quote user="Lincs CR"]I think Adeyemi and Hughes would remind a lot of fans of Francis/Safri. Adeyemi seems to be that box to box midfielder we have been lacking for years now, and Hughes isn''t the strongest of players but has technical ability, passing ability and a good midfield brain. Please Lambert play Hughes and Yemi[/quote]

Definately agree with you. Gill gave the ball away constantly, was negative, TJ was pretty invisible around the pitch

bit harsh on TJ to be honest. He doesnt set the world on fire, but he was the only player i saw last night putting in the challenges...half decent FK too...tho their keeper should have saved it.Gill on the other hand......well im not sure how to describe him.  Think hed have a fight on his hands to get in the Lynn side.TJ is probably the kind of player we need in this division especially against the more physical sides....perhaps TJ holding and adeyemi further up would work well.

Tudor-Jones and Gill were NON-EXISTANT last night as a centre partnership. Excluding the 92nd minute direct free-kick, they were truely awful. Neither of them seem to have any vision or control, and their passing is rather pathetic compared to other centre midfielders in the league. The only chances that did come along were because Grant Holt held the ball up, turned and set-up a play for Cody. That was it!! We might has well turned up with no centre midfield at all.

TJ is lazy. Barring a few tackles he made on Brentford players, who seemed quite enthusiastic to just run through the middle of them, he did very little to contribute to open play. How many times did he get the ball and just ''hoof'' a 40-yard pass up optimistically in the air (even when the away support was jeering him because of it just a minute beforehand)??!

Gill was even worse. Multiple loose passes going straight out of play, back to the goal-keeper or to an opposition player? Terrible! He doesn''t seem to have any physical presence either - so what is he?? Defensive midfielder or attacking midfielder? At the moment he is neither!

To be fair, in the only way possible, we had no midfield what so ever last night. We played 90 minutes without a left-winger. And to be totally truthful, we played 75 minutes without a right-winger.... Whalley can''t run past players, he can''t cross, he doesn''t make runs nor setup plays and he sits on the half way line waiting for ball-to-feet only (if you haven''t seen him play yet, imagine him a ''Lee Croft'' without pace or any creativity). And Wes Hoolahan.... if there is ever a call to play him in the centre ONLY, last night was the proof. He doesn''t stay on the left AT ALL. He is not a winger, and to play him there leaves that flank completely exposed when he goes on one of his cross-pitch wanders.

I''m sure everyone agreed, how much Hughes looked better in the centre whne he came on. But why only bring him on after 82 minutes, 2-0 down?!?! And why did we end up playing with 3 centre mids, 3 strikers?? We had no width at all. And Good luck Paul Lambert, your job is going to be an Everest-climb!!!

P.S. need I even mention Doherty?? Stop being over optimistic about him. He makes a few headers but cant handle people with pace or skill. He does not organise the back-line nor motivate the rest of the team. Take that band away from him IMMEDIATELY and then sell him.... Please someone take him off us!!!

Gill just isn''t up to this level of football. His passing is sloppy, he can''t play the ball forward and he doesn''t move sharply enough (with or without the ball).

Still think OTJ will be a good signing for us though.