Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Maric & Askou to sign

[quote user="pride_of_anglia_ncfc"][quote user="CanaryJames"]

"Playing" is a bit of an exaggeration though. By and large the only time Shackell and Lee played last year was for us...neither were wanted by their actual clubs.

I''d take Maric over Lee, as I think the latter would cost more and is the wrong side of 30. Can''t comment on Askou, but I''ve heard good things.

[/quote]

I must have wandered into Cloud Cuckoo Land!

You would seriously take an (effectively) non-league Spanish player over Alan Lee? All you''ve seen of him is a few minutes (if you were in Scotland) and a youtube video. Do you not remember Le Juge!?

Also, I think you''ll find both Shackell and Lee will be playing Championship football somewhere next season.

As I say, I''m all for giving these lads a chance but just signing players does not make a good team!

[/quote]

Considering Maric is younger, will cost less, will be on less wages, and has a different style of play to Lee, yes I would.

We''ve already got an "Alan Lee type player" signed up for next season in Grant Holt. Holt''s fee shows we probably could afford Lee (despite what Gunn''s aluded to), we simply decided Grant Holt would be a better alternative.

I''ve not seen Maric live, nor have I watched youtube clips of him, but yes, with the information I do have, I believe we need a player like him rather than a battler in the Lee mould - which I highlighed in the above paragraph.

What makes you think Lee and Shackell will play regualr football next year? We were pretty much the only club interested last year, and both their current clubs want rid.

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."][quote user="pride_of_anglia_ncfc"][quote user="CanaryJames"]

"Playing" is a bit of an exaggeration though. By and large the only time Shackell and Lee played last year was for us...neither were wanted by their actual clubs.

I''d take Maric over Lee, as I think the latter would cost more and is the wrong side of 30. Can''t comment on Askou, but I''ve heard good things.

[/quote]

You would seriously take an (effectively) non-league Spanish player over Alan Lee? All you''ve seen of him is a few minutes (if you were in Scotland) and a youtube video. Do you not remember Le Juge!?

Also, I think you''ll find both Shackell and Lee will be playing Championship football somewhere next season.

As I say, I''m all for giving these lads a chance but just signing players does not make a good team!

[/quote] You are oh so right , if these players were half decent they wouldnt be going around league 1 clubs looking for somebody to offer them a contract , we could sign coco the clown and most of the pink un posters would be heralding him as the next Maradona .
[/quote]

Coco the clown wouldn''t want to sign for us though would he? We are where we are. We can''t sign Robinho, we can''t even get Owen on a free. We have to take what we can get and I''m prepared to give players who want to move to England to further their career a chance. They may fail but so what...what does that cost us? Afterall, we have the ''proven'' Jamie Cureton to fall back on. A player who scores consistently at higher leagues than ours!

OR maybe, we get a player that scores a lot of goals and goes on to earn us a fee 24 months down the line; as is the Norwich way. With Cureton long gone, after failing to hit a barn door all season in training.

Just give them a chance to fail before writing them off.

[quote user="pride_of_anglia_ncfc"]

Forgive me for not dancing on the ceiling.....but why are we getting excited about two European lower league rejects signing?

Let''s get some perspective here!

I''m all for giving them a chance but Alan Lee and Jason Shackell they ain''t.

[/quote]

Go back to sleep

[quote user="CanaryJames"][quote user="pride_of_anglia_ncfc"][quote user="CanaryJames"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Considering Maric is younger, will cost less, will be on less wages, and has a different style of play to Lee, yes I would.

We''ve already got an "Alan Lee type player" signed up for next season in Grant Holt. Holt''s fee shows we probably could afford Lee (despite what Gunn''s aluded to), we simply decided Grant Holt would be a better alternative.

I''ve not seen Maric live, nor have I watched youtube clips of him, but yes, with the information I do have, I believe we need a player like him rather than a battler in the Lee mould - which I highlighed in the above paragraph.

What makes you think Lee and Shackell will play regualr football next year? We were pretty much the only club interested last year, and both their current clubs want rid.

[/quote]

Spot on!! 

Some people won''t be happy until we pay 500k for another Cureton or 1M for another Marshall only to lose money on both a year or two down the line when they''ve let the team down week in, week out for the duration of their time at the club!!

Why would we want to go for another freebie like Clingan, who could actually play football and who had that little bit of quality? Why would we want to have to risk selling him for 650k in 12 months with the potential to make 1M?

Freebies are such a waste of money and will never get us anywhere. Lets go get some more Curetons or David Marshall type players.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Excellent news, cheers for the info CUSDP!

That''ll be the squad complete, then? [:D] And before the big kick-off...... I don''t understand. [:|]
[/quote]

You see that lort at Coooolney Neil... Wassss goooorn onnnnnnn????

I really do wish some people would realise that a free transfer is often not what it used to be in years gone by - and is never actually ''free''.

Our signings fall into 3 categories:

- players wanted by their clubs (and offered new contracts) but who decided (Croft-like), to look elsewhere. We have 4 of these: Theo, Nelson, Hughes and Gill. There is a massive difference between knowingly going out of contract and being released: the simple fact is that they are ''free'' out of choice and would normally have commanded a fee.

- players signed for a fee: Wiggins, Holt, Whaley and T-Jones

- ''free'' transfers for released/contract not renewed players (eg Fozzie): this is the category that people normally think of, but as things stand our only ''firm'' signing in this category is WLY. Askou and Maric are still possibles. But the idea that all players in this category are rubbish is surely daft, there are decent players out there, and it is precisely what trial spells are for.

So, if Maric and Askou sign, I think we will have signed 11 players + 1 loanee, but only 3 of them will have been ''traditional'' free transfers. IMO that is way more than anyone would have expected. Of course we don''t know if they will make a good team, but it does seem a fairly good start at repairing some damage that was done under Roeder.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I really do wish some people would realise that a free transfer is often not what it used to be in years gone by - and is never actually ''free''. Our signings fall into 3 categories: - players wanted by their clubs (and offered new contracts) but who decided (Croft-like), to look elsewhere. We have 4 of these: Theo, Nelson, Hughes and Gill. There is a massive difference between knowingly going out of contract and being released: the simple fact is that they are ''free'' out of choice and would normally have commanded a fee. - players signed for a fee: Wiggins, Holt, Whaley and T-Jones - ''free'' transfers for released/contract not renewed players (eg Fozzie): this is the category that people normally think of, but as things stand our only ''firm'' signing in this category is WLY. Askou and Maric are still possibles. But the idea that all players in this category are rubbish is surely daft, there are decent players out there, and it is precisely what trial spells are for. So, if Maric and Askou sign, I think we will have signed 11 players + 1 loanee, but only 3 of them will have been ''traditional'' free transfers. IMO that is way more than anyone would have expected. Of course we don''t know if they will make a good team, but it does seem a fairly good start at repairing some damage that was done under Roeder.[/quote]

Far too much sense spoken. Somebody shout him down immediately....

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I really do wish some people would realise that a free transfer is often not what it used to be in years gone by - and is never actually ''free''. Our signings fall into 3 categories: - players wanted by their clubs (and offered new contracts) but who decided (Croft-like), to look elsewhere. We have 4 of these: Theo, Nelson, Hughes and Gill. There is a massive difference between knowingly going out of contract and being released: the simple fact is that they are ''free'' out of choice and would normally have commanded a fee. - players signed for a fee: Wiggins, Holt, Whaley and T-Jones - ''free'' transfers for released/contract not renewed players (eg Fozzie): this is the category that people normally think of, but as things stand our only ''firm'' signing in this category is WLY. Askou and Maric are still possibles. But the idea that all players in this category are rubbish is surely daft, there are decent players out there, and it is precisely what trial spells are for. So, if Maric and Askou sign, I think we will have signed 11 players + 1 loanee, but only 3 of them will have been ''traditional'' free transfers. IMO that is way more than anyone would have expected. Of course we don''t know if they will make a good team, but it does seem a fairly good start at repairing some damage that was done under Roeder.[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh don''t worry, it won''t be long........

...either that or it will be totally ignored!

Well, although we don''t know how serious it was, after tonight''s injury to Nelson I certainly hope that Askou puts pen to paper, free transfer or not. Last season showed that you need bodies in at c/b and if we are using Spillane as a r/b we could do with a fourth ''senior'' player in the middle.

[/quote]

Ha ha - [:D] Probably the most sensible post seen on here in a while.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]...either that or it will be totally ignored! Well, although we don''t know how serious it was, after tonight''s injury to Nelson I certainly hope that Askou puts pen to paper, free transfer or not. Last season showed that you need bodies in at c/b and if we are using Spillane as a r/b we could do with a fourth ''senior'' player in the middle.[/quote]

Agreed. 2 players in every position. 4 centre backs as you always get injuries and you still need one on the bench.

[/quote]

Ha ha - [:D] Probably the most sensible post seen on here in a while.

Any further news regarding this? Any news of a press conference either today or close to the end of the week??

owen for a example . did not want to stay at newcastle or renew his contract .Manchester united step in and take him .

i should imagine most premiership clubs and all championship clubs would have signed him if they could afford his salary .

not a bad free transfer ...quality player .

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I really do wish some people would realise that a free transfer is often not what it used to be in years gone by - and is never actually ''free''.

Our signings fall into 3 categories:

- players wanted by their clubs (and offered new contracts) but who decided (Croft-like), to look elsewhere. We have 4 of these: Theo, Nelson, Hughes and Gill. There is a massive difference between knowingly going out of contract and being released: the simple fact is that they are ''free'' out of choice and would normally have commanded a fee.

- players signed for a fee: Wiggins, Holt, Whaley and T-Jones

- ''free'' transfers for released/contract not renewed players (eg Fozzie): this is the category that people normally think of, but as things stand our only ''firm'' signing in this category is WLY. Askou and Maric are still possibles. But the idea that all players in this category are rubbish is surely daft, there are decent players out there, and it is precisely what trial spells are for.

So, if Maric and Askou sign, I think we will have signed 11 players + 1 loanee, but only 3 of them will have been ''traditional'' free transfers. IMO that is way more than anyone would have expected. Of course we don''t know if they will make a good team, but it does seem a fairly good start at repairing some damage that was done under Roeder.[/quote]Extremely concise summary and imo should be stickied.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Excellent news, cheers for the info CUSDP!

That''ll be the squad complete, then? [:D] And before the big kick-off...... I don''t understand. [:|]
[/quote]

You see that lort at Coooolney Neil... Wassss goooorn onnnnnnn????

[/quote]

What deeeeew they deeeeeew in traaaynin` Neil.....? [:D]