Sign in to follow this  
Paradox

Who's gonna be better - Hendo or Jarvis?

It seems these guys come in and out of favour at the same rate. I remember that both started for the last England U18 game, both have scored a few for the first team. Just wondered what anyone elses thoughts were on this?

From what I''ve seen, which isn''t much, admittedly, I would say Jarvis is the better prospect of the two, but I would like to see more of Henderson up front where he prefers to play......

Both players are excellent prospects and need to be developed. Clearly, they both need first team football and with the current squad being assembled for the Premiership are not likely to be featured until the season is on the way, and then only if things are going well.
I would like them both to go out on loan for a few months, to see how they react to a sustained period of first team football - then we must make a decision as to their future at Carrow Road

I think hendo is too lightweight to play upfront. His main attributes are not striker related. Jarvis is more of a striker than henderson. I wouldn''t be surprised if we see more of jarvis this season than some might imagine

Hendo is a bit more exposed but retains potential to improve bearing in mind he has been playing out of position. For England he has had a real impact being MOM on a couple of occassions so the ability is there. Can he keep his ego in line seems to be the challenge!

However as much potential as Hendo has he is eclipsed by what little we have seen of Ryan - again he has had a real impact at international level and has earnt respect from the club pros. However it worries me that we have seen relatively little of Jarvis - are we over protecting him or is there something more worring about his personality/anything else that we havent seen that we are managing?

He excites me more than Bentley - Jarvis has the ability to be a premier star for years to come and we have to test him at some stage - hendo has had a chance so far - when is it Ryans turn?

OTBC

I think both are very good prospects, but last season it was hard for either to get into the team in their favoured position because the strikers were doing so well. Having said that I would be very surprised if either went out on loan. We just don''t have a big enough squad to justify it. I know you can say that we could call one of them back in an injury crisis but that isn''t ideal for the player (being shifted about a lot). Jarvis seems to have more natural ability, yet Hendo appears to have more desire to make himself a better player (that is only an observation though, might be unfair on Jarvis). But to be fair, both are still very young. Jarvis also had an injury which set him back last season (like his younger brother, Rossi) so that would have affected his progress. The release of todays reserve fixtures is also relevant here. Undoubtedly nothing quite compares to playing competitive games. But we have suffered over the past few years due to being in a pathetic reserves league which was of absolutely no benefit to our players, especially the younger ones. The Southern Premier reserve league is a big step up in quality from that, and this should help the progress of people like Jarvis and younger ones like Adam Smith, Lee Blackburn, etc.

But in time I do believe both will be top players for us. Its a balancing act for Worthy. In reality the sole focus is survival so he cannot take chances. But it would be a big benefit to both players (and the club''s future) if they could be involved this season. I think Hendo will. I don''t quite know why some NCFC fans get on his back (read Iwans'' book and the bit from the Bradford home game, Hendo got some stick-basically for keeping the ball- and was almost in tears when subbed at half time). He could do with getting stronger, but you can say that about a lot of youngsters. He certainly has the attitude and that bit of fire in his belly though. He played very well coming off the bench against Everton I remember. And this was Hendo being played out of position. I don''t think the bigger stage would effect either of them actually. Still, I''m sure Worthy will do what''s best.

They both can only get better for being involved in the premiership. I like both players equally, although we have seen more of Henderson. Jarvis has already made his mark by scoring on the Malaysian tour. The crunch for both players in the short term is if they figure in the match against the Malaysian national side. I know it is early days, but if you continue to score in friendlies, then it can only enhance your chances of figuring in the first match of the season.

I met Iwan at a recent Northern Canaries do and asked him the same question.

As an insider in the camp and an experienced striker, he reckoned Hendo would be the one to go all the way. He thought Jarvis was lazy in training and this his attitude might hold him back.

Must also mention that Iwan is a really nice guy, and he never shirked any questions, no matter how how near the knuckle they were.

I think that Hendo will become the better player. You may recall that his older brother Tommy was also on Citys books in the late 90''s, he was later tragically killed in a car accident. Because of this I feel that Ian has that bit more desire within himself to become a fine player, to do it for himself, Tommy and his parents.

Jarvis has got bags of potential but needs to apply himself a bit more; he really did not progress from his few starts at the latter end of 2002-03. Maybe Ryan will now try to prove himself because he has competition from his brother Rossi.

I want to throw another contenders name into the pot, Jason Shackell. Apart from Palace away he performed superbly last season. With a few more games like his performance against Cardiff (H) he could be the best player of the three.

The good thing is they will all benefit from playing in the Premier reserve league, and will no doubt be subs for the first team throughout the season.