Sign in to follow this  
The Puppet Man

going to uni at just the right time

One hopes you will show more ambition during your three years at ''uni'' than the current NCFC board have during their 13 or so years in control at Carrow Road.

After all you wouldn''t want to finish up with a ''third'', now would you?

Take my advice. Set your sights high.

OTBC

Which Uni you going to? My daughter off to Leicester in September (As long as she gets 3 B''2 at A level) Still renewed her season ticket so she can go to games if she comes home at all at weekends. Anyone from the Leicester area with a spare place in a car on match days?

[quote user="jbghost"]Which Uni you going to? My daughter off to Leicester in September (As long as she gets 3 B''2 at A level) Still renewed her season ticket so she can go to games if she comes home at all at weekends. Anyone from the Leicester area with a spare place in a car on match days?[/quote]I went to the University of Leicester - she''ll have a brilliant time if she gets in.  If she goes for Halls of Residence in Year 1, advise her that Digby Hall is the best one for bus routes & general sociability - they are a bit more switched on than the other halls of res.

[quote user="jbghost"]Which Uni you going to? My daughter off to Leicester in September (As long as she gets 3 B''2 at A level) Still renewed her season ticket so she can go to games if she comes home at all at weekends. Anyone from the Leicester area with a spare place in a car on match days?[/quote]Hopefully newcastle providing my interview goes well and i get the grades they offer. So that would be a bit of a treck to come back for matches. Failing newcastle probably Bath Spa

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="jbghost"]Which Uni you going to? My daughter off to Leicester in September (As long as she gets 3 B''2 at A level) Still renewed her season ticket so she can go to games if she comes home at all at weekends. Anyone from the Leicester area with a spare place in a car on match days?[/quote]

I went to the University of Leicester - she''ll have a brilliant time if she gets in.  If she goes for Halls of Residence in Year 1, advise her that Digby Hall is the best one for bus routes & general sociability - they are a bit more switched on than the other halls of res.

[/quote]

So did I!  Well, it was the old Poly.  Great 3 years, although the City has changed beyond recognition now.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="jbghost"]Which Uni you going to? My daughter off to Leicester in September (As long as she gets 3 B''2 at A level) Still renewed her season ticket so she can go to games if she comes home at all at weekends. Anyone from the Leicester area with a spare place in a car on match days?[/quote]I went to the University of Leicester - she''ll have a brilliant time if she gets in.  If she goes for Halls of Residence in Year 1, advise her that Digby Hall is the best one for bus routes & general sociability - they are a bit more switched on than the other halls of res.[/quote]Are you joking Mister Chops?!  I''m at Leicester at the moment, in my final year, and I really really really advise she goes to Beaumont.  Bus stop right outside the hall, and they have now incorporated Digby''s social events into their own because Digby got so poor and no-one turned up for them.  They''ve actually closed down the bar at Digby.Tell your daughter jbghost that I have advised her to go to Beaumont, and if she wants some advice I''m more than happy to talk to her about it.  I''m guessing she wants to stay in John Foster?  Admittedly it''s really nice, but it just does not have the same social side, flats of 6 rather than blocks of 40 and just not the same events because the hall is so much larger.  Beaumont all the way, I guarantee it.

By the way, brilliant Uni, and great student based city, and I imagine your daughter will love the new High Cross shopping centre which is similar in size to the Bullring in Birmingham.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="jbghost"]Which Uni you going to? My daughter off to Leicester in September (As long as she gets 3 B''2 at A level) Still renewed her season ticket so she can go to games if she comes home at all at weekends. Anyone from the Leicester area with a spare place in a car on match days?[/quote]I went to the University of Leicester - she''ll have a brilliant time if she gets in.  If she goes for Halls of Residence in Year 1, advise her that Digby Hall is the best one for bus routes & general sociability - they are a bit more switched on than the other halls of res.[/quote]Are you joking Mister Chops?!  I''m at Leicester at the moment, in my final year, and I really really really advise she goes to Beaumont.  Bus stop right outside the hall, and they have now incorporated Digby''s social events into their own because Digby got so poor and no-one turned up for them.  They''ve actually closed down the bar at Digby.Tell your daughter jbghost that I have advised her to go to Beaumont, and if she wants some advice I''m more than happy to talk to her about it.  I''m guessing she wants to stay in John Foster?  Admittedly it''s really nice, but it just does not have the same social side, flats of 6 rather than blocks of 40 and just not the same events because the hall is so much larger.  Beaumont all the way, I guarantee it.[/quote]They did?  Gosh.  I was in Beaumont over the summer in 1996 working as a painter-decorator for the Uni... £4 an hour, ah happy days.  Well, you sound much more on the ball (City) than me, I hope you have had a great 3 years.  I loved that University and do genuinely consider that time to be the best of my life so far.Is the Redfearn still going strong?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="jbghost"]Which Uni you going to? My daughter off to Leicester in September (As long as she gets 3 B''2 at A level) Still renewed her season ticket so she can go to games if she comes home at all at weekends. Anyone from the Leicester area with a spare place in a car on match days?[/quote]I went to the University of Leicester - she''ll have a brilliant time if she gets in.  If she goes for Halls of Residence in Year 1, advise her that Digby Hall is the best one for bus routes & general sociability - they are a bit more switched on than the other halls of res.[/quote]Are you joking Mister Chops?!  I''m at Leicester at the moment, in my final year, and I really really really advise she goes to Beaumont.  Bus stop right outside the hall, and they have now incorporated Digby''s social events into their own because Digby got so poor and no-one turned up for them.  They''ve actually closed down the bar at Digby.Tell your daughter jbghost that I have advised her to go to Beaumont, and if she wants some advice I''m more than happy to talk to her about it.  I''m guessing she wants to stay in John Foster?  Admittedly it''s really nice, but it just does not have the same social side, flats of 6 rather than blocks of 40 and just not the same events because the hall is so much larger.  Beaumont all the way, I guarantee it.[/quote]They did?  Gosh.  I was in Beaumont over the summer in 1996 working as a painter-decorator for the Uni... £4 an hour, ah happy days.  Well, you sound much more on the ball (City) than me, I hope you have had a great 3 years.  I loved that University and do genuinely consider that time to be the best of my life so far.Is the Redfearn still going strong?[/quote]Yep the Redfearn is still running, there is a new library which was opened by the Queen this year, and they are completely renovating the Union this summer, although I seem to spend a lot more time in The Loaded Dog on London Road, not sure if that was about when you were in Leics?  It has been, without a doubt, the best years of my life as well, and the University is brilliant and heading right for the top ten.Digby got a bit detached from the other halls really, they have merged Stamford and Gilbert Murray, and then in my first year New Hall opened (now John Foster).  So everything was happening further up Stoughton Drive, the Uni have had to put people in DMU halls this year because they haven''t got enough places for all the students that are coming here now!  Where did you live once you left halls, or did you stay there for all of your 3 years?

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="jbghost"]Which Uni you going to? My daughter off to Leicester in September (As long as she gets 3 B''2 at A level) Still renewed her season ticket so she can go to games if she comes home at all at weekends. Anyone from the Leicester area with a spare place in a car on match days?[/quote]I went to the University of Leicester - she''ll have a brilliant time if she gets in.  If she goes for Halls of Residence in Year 1, advise her that Digby Hall is the best one for bus routes & general sociability - they are a bit more switched on than the other halls of res.[/quote]Are you joking Mister Chops?!  I''m at Leicester at the moment, in my final year, and I really really really advise she goes to Beaumont.  Bus stop right outside the hall, and they have now incorporated Digby''s social events into their own because Digby got so poor and no-one turned up for them.  They''ve actually closed down the bar at Digby.Tell your daughter jbghost that I have advised her to go to Beaumont, and if she wants some advice I''m more than happy to talk to her about it.  I''m guessing she wants to stay in John Foster?  Admittedly it''s really nice, but it just does not have the same social side, flats of 6 rather than blocks of 40 and just not the same events because the hall is so much larger.  Beaumont all the way, I guarantee it.[/quote]They did?  Gosh.  I was in Beaumont over the summer in 1996 working as a painter-decorator for the Uni... £4 an hour, ah happy days.  Well, you sound much more on the ball (City) than me, I hope you have had a great 3 years.  I loved that University and do genuinely consider that time to be the best of my life so far.Is the Redfearn still going strong?[/quote]Yep the Redfearn is still running, there is a new library which was opened by the Queen this year, and they are completely renovating the Union this summer, although I seem to spend a lot more time in The Loaded Dog on London Road, not sure if that was about when you were in Leics?  It has been, without a doubt, the best years of my life as well, and the University is brilliant and heading right for the top ten.Digby got a bit detached from the other halls really, they have merged Stamford and Gilbert Murray, and then in my first year New Hall opened (now John Foster).  So everything was happening further up Stoughton Drive, the Uni have had to put people in DMU halls this year because they haven''t got enough places for all the students that are coming here now!  Where did you live once you left halls, or did you stay there for all of your 3 years?[/quote]This is awesome! [Y]I lived in Digby for Year 1, was elected President for Year 2 but had to drop out due to a combination of family circumstances and ill health.  I eventually ended up back in Digby for Year 2 in a block of scousers, and then lived on Knighton Road in a shared house for Year 3, quite near Mary Gee (scummy).  I used to walk down a road whose name escapes me but ran parallel to London Road and brought me out on Victoria Park where you could cut through to the campus.  I studied at the Centre for Communication Research, but they closed that and sold the building off.  It was near the Akash Indian restaurant, home of the "£5 Special" (we didn''t ask, they didn''t tell).To earn money, other than painting and decorating, I also coded the first few Football Fan Surveys from the Norman Chester Football Research Centre (Sounds grand, but it was actually a crummy room on floor 11 of some faceless building whose name I forget but had a paternoster).When Norwich were on Sky, which was never, we went to the local pub in colours.  I saw Ulf Ottosson be completely rubbish there in what must have been 1996-7.  The Spice Girls were just starting to take off.  Labour were newly elected and we all thought the world would change.  I was listening to "Odelay" by Beck on a near-daily basis and shopping for music in the 2nd hand shop in the Silver Arcade.  I played in three bands, none of which ever played a gig but our drummer was "famous" for once being on Blue Peter.  I played snooker at the Willie Thorne club on Granby Street (IIRC).  Occasionally, I did some work.Damn, I''m getting nostalgic just thinking about it.  If I thought about it harder I''d remember the poverty, the mould in the kitchen and bathroom, the twunty housemates, the fear of what happened when I graduated (answer: I got a job, cut my hair and "sold out" (as my younger self would have put it)) but my god I enjoyed it.Have a great time, and without wanting to patronise you - if you have any good friends you''ve made, do your best to keep in touch.  People drift away into other things, that''s life, but hold on to those you are closest to.  I guess Facebook etc. makes all this easier, but still, there are people I have no way of getting back in touch with... too much time has passed. 

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="jbghost"]Which Uni you going to? My daughter off to Leicester in September (As long as she gets 3 B''2 at A level) Still renewed her season ticket so she can go to games if she comes home at all at weekends. Anyone from the Leicester area with a spare place in a car on match days?[/quote]I went to the University of Leicester - she''ll have a brilliant time if she gets in.  If she goes for Halls of Residence in Year 1, advise her that Digby Hall is the best one for bus routes & general sociability - they are a bit more switched on than the other halls of res.[/quote]Are you joking Mister Chops?!  I''m at Leicester at the moment, in my final year, and I really really really advise she goes to Beaumont.  Bus stop right outside the hall, and they have now incorporated Digby''s social events into their own because Digby got so poor and no-one turned up for them.  They''ve actually closed down the bar at Digby.Tell your daughter jbghost that I have advised her to go to Beaumont, and if she wants some advice I''m more than happy to talk to her about it.  I''m guessing she wants to stay in John Foster?  Admittedly it''s really nice, but it just does not have the same social side, flats of 6 rather than blocks of 40 and just not the same events because the hall is so much larger.  Beaumont all the way, I guarantee it.[/quote]They did?  Gosh.  I was in Beaumont over the summer in 1996 working as a painter-decorator for the Uni... £4 an hour, ah happy days.  Well, you sound much more on the ball (City) than me, I hope you have had a great 3 years.  I loved that University and do genuinely consider that time to be the best of my life so far.Is the Redfearn still going strong?[/quote]Yep the Redfearn is still running, there is a new library which was opened by the Queen this year, and they are completely renovating the Union this summer, although I seem to spend a lot more time in The Loaded Dog on London Road, not sure if that was about when you were in Leics?  It has been, without a doubt, the best years of my life as well, and the University is brilliant and heading right for the top ten.Digby got a bit detached from the other halls really, they have merged Stamford and Gilbert Murray, and then in my first year New Hall opened (now John Foster).  So everything was happening further up Stoughton Drive, the Uni have had to put people in DMU halls this year because they haven''t got enough places for all the students that are coming here now!  Where did you live once you left halls, or did you stay there for all of your 3 years?[/quote]This is awesome! [Y]I lived in Digby for Year 1, was elected President for Year 2 but had to drop out due to a combination of family circumstances and ill health.  I eventually ended up back in Digby for Year 2 in a block of scousers, and then lived on Knighton Road in a shared house for Year 3, quite near Mary Gee (scummy).  I used to walk down a road whose name escapes me but ran parallel to London Road and brought me out on Victoria Park where you could cut through to the campus.  I studied at the Centre for Communication Research, but they closed that and sold the building off.  It was near the Akash Indian restaurant, home of the "£5 Special" (we didn''t ask, they didn''t tell).To earn money, other than painting and decorating, I also coded the first few Football Fan Surveys from the Norman Chester Football Research Centre (Sounds grand, but it was actually a crummy room on floor 11 of some faceless building whose name I forget but had a paternoster).When Norwich were on Sky, which was never, we went to the local pub in colours.  I saw Ulf Ottosson be completely rubbish there in what must have been 1996-7.  The Spice Girls were just starting to take off.  Labour were newly elected and we all thought the world would change.  I was listening to "Odelay" by Beck on a near-daily basis and shopping for music in the 2nd hand shop in the Silver Arcade.  I played in three bands, none of which ever played a gig but our drummer was "famous" for once being on Blue Peter.  I played snooker at the Willie Thorne club on Granby Street (IIRC).  Occasionally, I did some work.Damn, I''m getting nostalgic just thinking about it.  If I thought about it harder I''d remember the poverty, the mould in the kitchen and bathroom, the twunty housemates, the fear of what happened when I graduated (answer: I got a job, cut my hair and "sold out" (as my younger self would have put it)) but my god I enjoyed it.Have a great time, and without wanting to patronise you - if you have any good friends you''ve made, do your best to keep in touch.  People drift away into other things, that''s life, but hold on to those you are closest to.  I guess Facebook etc. makes all this easier, but still, there are people I have no way of getting back in touch with... too much time has passed.  [/quote]My mate is President of Beaumont this year, he refused to move out with us, and with the state of our house I kind of see why!  Mary Gee is still running, although the Uni did sell it off in my first year but have now had to rent it back because of the lack of accommodation for Freshers.  The bus used to go along Knighton Road from halls, and it is so bloody bumpy, it wasn''t the best road to come back along when we were drunk!  I''m guessing the road you used to walk down was Queens Road, and Akash is still running, although it is now £5.95!  That building with the paternoster is the Attenborough Tower (almost as ugly as the Charles Wilson!).  You''re right the Willie Thorne club is on Granby Street, but it''s owned by Riley''s now.Thanks for the tip [Y], and I think you''re right it will be a lot easier with facebook and of course the mobile!  It has been a brilliant few years, and I would never change it.

[quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"]i am going to uni next year for a 3 year course and hopefully will be back in time for another season in division 1
[/quote]

What will you be studying? If the word "English" appears in your reply then I will shoot myself.

I''m at Uni at Roehampton in London. Cracking Uni.....though I should be doing some work now....back to it!!

[quote user="Mange Tout"]

[quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"]i am going to uni next year for a 3 year course and hopefully will be back in time for another season in division 1[/quote]

What will you be studying? If the word "English" appears in your reply then I will shoot myself.

[/quote]Geographical information systems

[quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"][quote user="Mange Tout"]

[quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"]i am going to uni next year for a 3 year course and hopefully will be back in time for another season in division 1[/quote]

[/quote]Geographical information systems[/quote]Is that what they call maps these days?

Well, (not being a Catholic and all that), at least I now know what a (the?) Paternoster is - having dug in my dictionary.

No, I''m not going to tell the rest of you - check it out for yourselves!

[:)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Well, (not being a Catholic and all that), at least I now know what a (the?) Paternoster is - having dug in my dictionary.

OTBC[/quote]Oh dear Bly, every good Norfolk boy knows that a paternoster is a fishing rig.....

http://fishios.blogspot.com/2007/06/paternoster-and-knots.html

And fishing is open to all religions. [8-|]

[quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"][quote user="Mange Tout"]

[quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"]i am going to uni next year for a 3 year course and hopefully will be back in time for another season in division 1
[/quote]

[/quote]

Geographical information systems
[/quote]

So, you''re studying GIS?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC[/quote]Oh dear Bly, every good Norfolk boy knows that a paternoster is a fishing rig.....

http://fishios.blogspot.com/2007/06/paternoster-and-knots.html

And fishing is open to all religions. [8-|]

[/quote]

Serves me right for reaching for the little Collins instead of the large Oxford!

But maybe next time I''ll just google like you.[H]

OTBC

[quote user="Mange Tout"][quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"][quote user="Mange Tout"]

[/quote]Geographical information systems[/quote]

[/quote]Yep

[quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"][quote user="Mange Tout"][quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"][quote user="Mange Tout"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep
[/quote]

But 172, Mr Chops asked you if that''s what they call maps these days and you haven''t answered as far as I can see.

C''mon, we''re all on tenterhooks.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"][quote user="Mange Tout"][quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"][quote user="Mange Tout"]

[/quote]Geographical information systems[/quote]

[/quote]Yep [/quote]

But 172, Mr Chops asked you if that''s what they call maps these days and you haven''t answered as far as I can see.

C''mon, we''re all on tenterhooks.

OTBC

[/quote]A geographical information system is a way of displaying data that is linked to location. For example http://www.satimagingcorp.com/galleryimages/arcgis-high-resolution-gis-geographic-information-systems-friendswood.jpg

Same, i shall be leaving as i''m hoping to go to the University of Nottingham, but maybe not as my Insurance is the UEA [:O] 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Serves me right for reaching for the little Collins instead of the large Oxford!

But maybe next time I''ll just google like you.[H][/quote]I have no need to Google about everyday things dear boy, I leave that to those who are divorced from reality. [:)]

Now, what were you saying about religion?

[quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"][quote user="Mange Tout"][quote user="The_Puppet_Man172"][quote user="Mange Tout"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep
[/quote]

So....er...how would you pronounce that?