Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

Sky Sports

I saw that last night and couldn''t believe it.Its like they scoured Norwich for hours looking for the broadest norfolk accents they could find and then shoved a microphone in front of them.

It was so cringeworthy! Like you''ve already said, it''s like they tried to find the people with the broadest accent! (Maybe not the young lad)

No wonder people are constantly ripping it out of us!

no offence, but they probably pissed themselves with exciment! sure tell not a lot happens that way

breakfast local bulletin on bbc made me laugh today. the fans have had their say, and the following choices were suggested by the local idiots;roy keane - yes coz he enjoyed challenging times and had money, but he was a coffin dodger who prob aint been in yearsmark bowen and ian crook (joint) - I''m sure taffy would give up his job at the worlds richest club, working with robinho et al to take a job at a struggling                                                                           championship side to work with doc!!!billy davies -  according to the girl from the larkman, all the fans were chanting for him on tuesday night. my guess is she doesn''t even like and probably thinks hucks is still here!

Don''t you find that every single TV crew that goes and speaks to the public in Norwich always find the people with the broadest accents.... Look East/Anglia are ok, but then they''re local.

It''s nausiating (spell), and gives people like the Wolves fan incorrect stereotypes about Norwich and Norfolk... Problem with the Norfolk accent is it can make people sound simple, even though the majority of people aren''t!

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]Don''t you find that every single TV crew that goes and speaks to the public in Norwich always find the people with the broadest accents.... Look East/Anglia are ok, but then they''re local.

It''s nausiating (spell), and gives people like the Wolves fan incorrect stereotypes about Norwich and Norfolk... Problem with the Norfolk accent is it can make people sound simple, even though the majority of people aren''t![/quote]Norfolk born and bred and proud of it… I don''t have much of an accent at all although I slip into a corking "loocal aksunt wen ire hed a foo duttah". I got interviewed on Gentlemans Walk just before Worthy got the push (by BBC I think but wasn''t a presenter that I recognised from Look East etc). I made some excellent points and refused to go down their line of questioning, which IMO was deliberately divisive.Interviewer got grumpy when halfway through one question, I asked him why they only ever show Norfolk people on TV that have powerfully strong accents yet can''t find a Norfolk actor for love nor money when a real Norfolk accent is needed (Kingdom, All The Kings Men etc, etc). After they turned the camera off he said there was no chance of my interview making it on the box cos my accent wasn''t "loocal" enough. What a twunt.

[quote user="Andy Larkin"] I asked him why they only ever show Norfolk people on TV that have powerfully strong accents yet can''t find a Norfolk actor for love nor money when a real Norfolk accent is needed (Kingdom, All The Kings Men etc, etc).[/quote]Not being deliberately annoying here, but Stephen Fry is a Norfolk man and proud of it... although he obviously doesn''t have the accent...Its funny though, because although I lived in Norwich for most of my life until a few years ago, I always made a deliberate thing of the fact that I wasn''t born there, mostly because I didn''t want to be associated with the accent - something I also actively avoided getting whilst growing up.  Since moving to Manchester, however, I''ve become much more proud of my Norwich heritage, despite the obvious jokes that people up here make about in-breeding country folk...

Well  the town i live in you dont often hear a Norfolk accent. Mainly Polish,Lithuanian & Portugese,although there are some of us Londoners still kicking about.

My brother ''god rest his sole'' was born in Norfolk but would never admit it when at the local pub. I always had great pleasure in telling people he was born at the old Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.

[quote user="Delia S. Tickers"]

You should all be ashamed of yourselves;

http://www.norfolkdialect.com/

[/quote]I''m not ashamed DST, quite the opposite. I just don''t have a strong accent… probably because my dad comes from Birmingham, so two strong dialects have effectively countered each other leaving me with a neutral accent.My point to that journo was that they deliberately picked on people with very strong accents to make us all seem pig sh*t thick. Its a stereotype the media like to portray and I dared them to prove me wrong… which of course they didn''t.Now, in the balance of fairness, please tell me that you don''t cringe when you hear SOME of the selections on the tullee and rayjoe[:D]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="Delia S. Tickers"]

You should all be ashamed of yourselves;

http://www.norfolkdialect.com/

[/quote]

I''m not ashamed DST, quite the opposite. I just don''t have a strong accent… probably because my dad comes from Birmingham, so two strong dialects have effectively countered each other leaving me with a neutral accent.

My point to that journo was that they deliberately picked on people with very strong accents to make us all seem pig sh*t thick. Its a stereotype the media like to portray and I dared them to prove me wrong… which of course they didn''t.

Now, in the balance of fairness, please tell me that you don''t cringe when you hear SOME of the selections on the tullee and rayjoe

[:D]
[/quote]

Just having a laugh... i have lost most of my accent also, going to a "posh" grammar school (courtesy of the 11+ not my upbringing) and having lived in differing parts of the country throughout my career. It''s only now that I am concerned that it may be lost forever with so much "cultural enrichment" coming from overseas.