Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

So Roeder goes...who would you bring in?

[quote user="BlueJam"][quote user="Coelho"]When Worthy was sacked, most of the fans were clamouring for Alan Curbishley. When Grant left, Paul Jewell was one of the most prominent names bandied around. Both are currently without a club, as are Aidy Boothroyd and Paul Ince. Trouble is, though, Roeder won''t walk because he knows the board can''t afford to pay him off – it''s another Worthington situation developing. Unless Roeder walks, it''s not going to happen, and we''ll probably have Delia and Doncaster telling us in the summer how they have total faith in Glenn and believe he''s the man to guide us back to the ''promised land'' of the Championship...[/quote]Curbishly, Jewell and Ince are not realistic targets. Boothroyd is a worse option the GR.[/quote]Well Jewell has just resigned from a side two places above us in the table, and Ince''s only experience above League One resulted in near-disaster. We get a higher average gate than anyone either of them have ever managed (except possibly Derby in their Premiership year). How are they unrealistic targets?

Paul Ince - no way...he simply did a disaterous job at blackburn in his short spell there. Yes he achieved at MK Dons but who hasn''t with the money and facilities avaliable? literally every single manager, martin allen, paul ince, dennis wise, and now roberto dimatteo are succeding there.

Jewell - If he resigned at a struggling derby, would he really want to take up the reins of a club struggling even more?

Ian Crook - because he''s a likeable bloke, who understands good football and knows what Norwich City is all about. Players would want to play for him IMO.He would rebuild rather than continue GR''s dismantling programme. Largely unproven perhaps, but I do believe Roeder has improved the squad but that they are currently punching way below their weight. In the short term they just need motivating - though no doubt GR might disagree. 

Also bear in mind the near-miracle Ince worked at Macclesfield with zero money and almost inevitable relegation. Blackburn was always going to be a poisoned chalice, akin to replacing Big Sam at Bolton or Curbs at Charlton. We need someone with real fire in their belly, because at the moment we''re weak on every level, and don''t have the fighting spirit and self-belief required. Roy Keane is out of our league, but I reckon Ince could actually do a cracking job for us.

Jim Gannon from Stockport. All of the ''well known'' managers are out of a job for a good reason (as GR was). We need to go back to basics with a manager that knows how to choose and develop lower league players and bring through academy youngsters. Football as a whole has less money and so our success will come down to the manager''s abaility to put a team together that is better than the sum of its parts (basically the opposite to what we have at the moment).

I am erring towards the talented youngster looking for a bigger challenge option (Brown, stringer. walker, oneill, worthy) as we seem to do fairly well with those...

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I would have said Simon Grayson, but he''s gone to Leeds.  Gary Johnson of Bristol City perhaps ? [/quote]And the compensation money would come out of our huge transfer budget, right?

Difficult one this is. All I can think of off the top of my head are, Ince, Jewell, Jim Gannon, Dowie, Tilson, Boothroyd, Martinez, Curbishley, Darren Ferguson. Grayson (oops missed the boat), Nigel Adkins, Gary Johnson(started at Newmarket), Sammy McIlroy, Holloway, Cotterill, Paul Simpson, Danny Wilson, O''Leary, Mike Newell. ALL THESE MANAGERS HAVE ACHIEVED PROMOTION FOR THEIR CLUBS AT LEAST ONCE. You Roeder lovers (and unbelievably there are still a few of you out there) must admit the arrogant one has never remotely been anywhere near promotion. One thing can''t be said," Oh give him time look what he did at such and such" HE''S FAILED EVERYWHERE. If he is not sacked by about 7th jan we''ve got him till march when he will be sacked in panic. PROBABLY TOO LATE. And if I hear "We can''t afford to sack him" any more I''ll scream.. WHAT IS THE COST OF RELEGATION??????????

if Roeder was to go, doubt he will, it would be Boothroyd.I''d go for Crook but can''t really see it!!! 

[quote user="Mr Yellow"]if Roeder was to go, doubt he will, it would be Boothroyd.I''d go for Crook but can''t really see it!!! [/quote]

Yes please...Ian crook...done ok in Oz, a Norwich legend, great football mind, the players will play for him and the fans will support him

A gamble.......possibly but the rewards might be great

OTBC

St.John

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="blahblahblah"]I would have said Simon Grayson, but he''s gone to Leeds.  Gary Johnson of Bristol City perhaps ? [/quote]
And the compensation money would come out of our huge transfer budget, right?
[/quote]

Crikey, I didn''t realise I was actually going to have to arrange it, it was just a hypothetical question.

A young, up and coming manager with a good previous record and who can work with limited funds (instead of using it as an excuse!), isn''t obsessed with over rated or over the hill Premiership reserve players, hasn''t got an atitude problem with limits his ability to do the job and therefore picks his best 11 players not just ones he gets on with or loan players hes obliged to play!

All in all find Roedernowheres complete opposite manager then you''d have a really good manager!

If we''re choosing a novice (like Mackay, Roberts, Dublin etc.) I''d go for Craig Fleming. He''s taken his coaching badges I think, he''s intelligent, a strong character, and has something at stake, because he''s lived in this area for 10 years and has brought up a young family here. It would be a massive risk without an experienced assistant, but I reckon he could do it if he wanted badly enough.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I am erring towards the talented youngster looking for a bigger challenge option (Brown, stringer. walker, oneill, worthy) as we seem to do fairly well with those...[/quote]Grant, Megson etc

Aidy BothroydDion DublinAge HareideAll are free at the minute so no having to pay off teams (or write away transfer clauses...)

[quote user="Old Boy"]If we''re choosing a novice (like Mackay, Roberts, Dublin etc.) I''d go for Craig Fleming. He''s taken his coaching badges I think, he''s intelligent, a strong character, and has something at stake, because he''s lived in this area for 10 years and has brought up a young family here. It would be a massive risk without an experienced assistant, but I reckon he could do it if he wanted badly enough.
[/quote]

Goodness me, the bloke has always been good with the fans, but ''wanting it enough'' wouldn''t bring success, if a manager in the top 92 clubs doesnt want it enough, he wouldnt be in the game...

Again its the same problem as last year, do we want a short-term man? someone who has specalist battles with relegation on limited funds? or do we want to risk a little more and get someone with less experience in the hope we can make a top-13/14 finish?

[quote user="The Lord"]

Goodness me, the bloke has always been good with the fans, but ''wanting it enough'' wouldn''t bring success, if a manager in the top 92 clubs doesnt want it enough, he wouldnt be in the game...

[/quote]Thanks for enlightening us with your statement of the obvious. What I actually said is that I think Flem''s got the tools to do the job. Whether he wants to do it is another question - he''s shown no sign of that yet.