Sign in to follow this  
super canary

is roeder aiming for promotion?

having all these loan players makes me think so. to me it doesnt seem like he is building a team for promotion in two or three years as half of the squad are loan players who wont be staying. is it a case that he is gambling on going up this season then buying players with the money we would then have? and what if we dont go up,do we just start again with a fresh batch of loanees and hope they can get us up...ala crouch and hucks? thoughts?

Would take some audacity and GR has got that. 

I don''t think we''ve got the team to achieve it though, but play off birth is a possibility.

It would be a fairy tale!

otbc

i personally dont think promotion is on glenns mind yet. i think midtable security then see where you are with regards to the playoffs when your completly safe

[quote user="we8wba"]i personally dont think promotion is on glenns mind yet. i think midtable security then see where you are with regards to the playoffs when your completly safe[/quote]

i actually agree with you Tubby! I would not think that G.R is aiming for promotion- im guessing he wouldnt say no to it mind!

so why all the loan players? why not players whose wages wont be as expensive as sib and art? surely we should be building a team of our own players who,in a couple of years,may be really ready for a promotion push. otherwise,we get to the end of the season,the current loanees go,new ones come in and the same thing happens. hate to say it but look at wolves. seems like they have been building a team for a while and now,although early in the season,it looks like its paying off.

[quote user="super canary"]so why all the loan players? why not players whose wages wont be as expensive as sib and art? surely we should be building a team of our own players who,in a couple of years,may be really ready for a promotion push. otherwise,we get to the end of the season,the current loanees go,new ones come in and the same thing happens. hate to say it but look at wolves. seems like they have been building a team for a while and now,although early in the season,it looks like its paying off.[/quote]Because, frankly my dear, they''ll be shite! [:O](500 posts!!! Woo-hoo!!!!)[<:o)]

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="lappinitup"]Of course he''s aiming for promotion and what is more, he''s going to achieve it! [Y][/quote]

At the same time as being ''Doomed'' Lapp? [;)]
[/quote]I honestly believe GR has enough about him to deliver this season. The quality is there, the strength in depth is there and if we''re challenging at Christmas (which I think we will) money will be found to sustain that challenge. The board have made it quite clear today that we can''t maintain the status quo so promotion is a must. And if you look at the bigger picture, almost every other club in this division have the same financial problems as us but we are better placed than most to overcome them.

[quote user="super canary"]so why all the loan players? why not players whose wages wont be as expensive as sib and art? surely we should be building a team of our own players who,in a couple of years,may be really ready for a promotion push. otherwise,we get to the end of the season,the current loanees go,new ones come in and the same thing happens. hate to say it but look at wolves. seems like they have been building a team for a while and now,although early in the season,it looks like its paying off.[/quote]

We are building a team of our own players.  Or did you forget that this summer we added Hoolahan, Bell, Clingan and Stefanovic to the permanent playing staff.  Rome wasnt built in day, and you obviously havent seen the accounts.

Tell me where is the money supposed to come from for the mass team building?  And please dont chestnut with ''but we have sold all these players, where has the money gone?'' malarky.  We are a loss making championship club who need to sell to survive.  If my memory serves me correctly we have always been the same.

Well, he can''t be aiming for mid-table obscurity, or worse still relegation, that would be stupid - so I guess that leaves only promotion. The only trouble is there are another 23 managers in our league with the same aspirations, and only 3 can do it. Will it be NCFC? Only time will tell.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]

[quote user="super canary"]so why all the loan players? why not players whose wages wont be as expensive as sib and art? surely we should be building a team of our own players who,in a couple of years,may be really ready for a promotion push. otherwise,we get to the end of the season,the current loanees go,new ones come in and the same thing happens. hate to say it but look at wolves. seems like they have been building a team for a while and now,although early in the season,it looks like its paying off.[/quote]

We are building a team of our own players.  Or did you forget that this summer we added Hoolahan, Bell, Clingan and Stefanovic to the permanent playing staff.  Rome wasnt built in day, and you obviously havent seen the accounts.

Tell me where is the money supposed to come from for the mass team building?  And please dont chestnut with ''but we have sold all these players, where has the money gone?'' malarky.  We are a loss making championship club who need to sell to survive.  If my memory serves me correctly we have always been the same.

[/quote] yeah,you said it. always been the same. thats the problem, it shouldnt be the same again. its about time we stopped messing about,on and off the pitch,and get back into the premier. there are no more excuses,whether we are a selling club or not. its time to stop blaming everything else and start getting on with it. yeah,Rome wasnt built in a day,but when we got relegated from the prem did you honestly think that in the years following we would have nothing to show?

But we have no choice, it has to be the same.  We simply do not earn enough money to be competitive at this level without having to sell our better players from time to time.  Thats not ours or anyone elses fault, that is a fact of reality.  And it has been like that since the mid 80''s at least.

And no, I didnt think we would be this deep in the mire after we got relegated.  But then neither did Wolves after their season up, they have only just got it sorted.  Barnsley were in the year before them, West Ham spent a good few seasons down before they went back up.  Southampton, relegated the same year as us are in a much worse position than us.

We will be OK.  I do think however that we have found our level.  And it absolutely pains me to admit that.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]  I do think however that we have found our level. 

[/quote]

Voice of reason. Fans are way too impatient these days. Money has screwed the game. Players wages are a disgrace.

Come the revolution......

carlos is right - wolves had 2 attempts and failed. then we stripped entire squad and was left with 8players who ever played professional match in their life (17days before the season) and two of those were keepers. we all expected relegation battle and somehow reached the playoffs! but it could of gone the other way with likes keogh, kightly, mcindoe being rubbish and having best keeper never to play in the premier matt murray keeping 19clean sheets

shows anything is capable. i think norwich are much in that transition stage wolves were two seasons ago. god knows why it took you extra season to get their though?

roedy, clark and stephenson are fiercely ambitious and not here for the laffs - make no mistake,,,roedy clever use of the loan system early on in the window imo is his way at having a go at promotion - but imo the turners bail out has dented his ambition,,,there''s no dosh left for his final tweakings.,/