Sign in to follow this  
Graham Humphrey

Norwich's glorious Cup record in recent years...

Now I''m sure we all know that getting beaten by lower league sides is a depressingly regular occurence for us but did anyone realise just how regular it is? Since 2001/02 here''s a list of all the teams from lower divisions that have knocked us out of cup competitions...2001/02: 0-1 v. Brentford (A) (League Cup 1st Round)2002/03: 0-3 v. Cheltenham (H) (League Cup 1st Round)2003/04: 0-1 v. Northampton (A) (League Cup 1st Round)2004/05: 0-1 v. West Ham (A) (FA Cup 3rd Round)2005/06: Er, none. Strangely enough.2006/07: 0-0 v. Port Vale (A) (League Cup 3rd Round, lost on penalties)2007/08: 1-2 v. Bury (A) (FA Cup 3rd Round replay)2008/09: 0-1 v. MK Dons (A) (League Cup 1st Round)So that''s seven times in eight seasons this has happened, which is an abysmal record but almost certainly has no bearing on the quality (or not) of the season to follow (see 2003/04 for example). Having said that I''m not getting my hopes up too much this year, regardless.So, er, my point. I don''t have one really, I just thought it''s an odd statistic and I wonder if any other club can match (or, indeed, better) such a record in recent seasons?

It really is piss-poor and for a club that used to have a proud record from the 50s to the 90s of doing well in the domestic cup competitions, it shows how far we have fallen.

The last time we did anything serious in the cup which got fans remotely excited at the prospect of Wembley was in 1995-96 when we got to a quarter final replay against Birmingham. We have dont nothing since in any competition.

[quote user="The Walking Man"]There were also 6 othe Championship sides went out last night...[/quote]

So that means they all also have abysmal cup records over the last decade then?

[quote user="The Walking Man"]There were also 6 othe Championship sides went out last night...[/quote]and??????This is norwich city and its not on! like i said in another thread i have a 14yr old son who doesnt know what a cup run is,let alone reaching a semi-final or final.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[quote user="The Walking Man"]There were also 6 othe Championship sides went out last night...[/quote]

So that means they all also have abysmal cup records over the last decade then?

[/quote]

I don''t think I mentioned them all having abysmal cup records but there you go I was merely pointing out that we weren''t the only cup upset last night...

[quote user="vinny 67"][quote user="The Walking Man"]There were also 6 othe Championship sides went out last night...[/quote]and??????This is norwich city and its not on! like i said in another thread i have a 14yr old son who doesnt know what a cup run is,let alone reaching a semi-final or final.
[/quote]

That all depends what you call a cup run, 5th round then maybe?

why should we care there were six other champs teams went out last night? i care about us no one else, although with your philosophy when we dont do well the response will be there are 23 other champs teams i suppose!!!

[quote user="vinny 67"][quote user="The Walking Man"]There were also 6 othe Championship sides went out last night...[/quote]and??????This is norwich city and its not on! like i said in another thread i have a 14yr old son who doesnt know what a cup run is,let alone reaching a semi-final or final.
[/quote]

I think that the point is that Cup games are very different to League games.They are one offs and,to use a cliche,anything can happen.Form doesn''t actually have much to do with it and I suspect that the point that TWM is making is that they have no relevance to our chances in the Championship.Having said that a Cup run is a great experience,the Milk Cup being a fine example,and to be on the terraces when we beat Sunderland was unbelievable.Having said that, beating Man Utd,including Best,Law and Charlton at Old Trafford was pretty good too!

[quote user="baldyboy"]why should we care there were six other champs teams went out last night? i care about us no one else, although with your philosophy when we dont do well the response will be there are 23 other champs teams i suppose!!![/quote]

You claim not to care about other clubs yet you are quick to point out Burnley''s new striker has scored on his debut...

...and only one goal scored in all that time.

I remember losing to Wigan, I think in ''88 and it was a major shock. These days I expect it.

There was that one memorable victory....

1-0 against Rushden & Diamonds a while back....thank the lord for Zema Abbey LMAO

[quote user="absyNCFC"]

1-0 against Rushden & Diamonds a while back....thank the lord for Zema Abbey LMAO

[/quote]

In about the 88th minute [:D]

[quote user="absyNCFC"]

[/quote]

naa it was dagenham & redbridge