Sign in to follow this  
Taxing

Clinton Morrison, Freddie Eastwood, Mifsud, McKenzie !

I''m just about to leave but I can''t say that I am going with any sense of optimism. Roeder has had since January to sort out a decent quality target man but, eight months later with the new season due to start in a few hours he has failed to do so. It''s basic : 3 points for a win and to win you need to score goals. To score goals you have to have the strikers (mainly) with the ability to do so. Not only that but of course you need to avoid conceding goals. So, best hope to day is 0-0 but I can easily see Coventry repeating their scoreline of two years ago. (3-0). Anyway, being a Norwich supporter I live in hope !

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]I''m just about to leave but I can''t say that I am going with any sense of optimism. Roeder has had since January to sort out a decent quality target man but, eight months later with the new season due to start in a few hours he has failed to do so. It''s basic : 3 points for a win and to win you need to score goals. To score goals you have to have the strikers (mainly) with the ability to do so. Not only that but of course you need to avoid conceding goals. So, best hope to day is 0-0 but I can easily see Coventry repeating their scoreline of two years ago. (3-0). Anyway, being a Norwich supporter I live in hope ![/quote]Roeder also had since November to keep us up, and he managed that, so hold tight - I think we''ll get a 1-1 draw.I really hope we don''t play 4-5-1 though.

I''d like to say I''m excited about our first game but I camt see anything other than a defeat although I hope I''m proved wrong.

No strike force = no goals = no points

Maybe I''m losing my faith[:(]

Is that Covs bloody strikeforce?

Jesus, makes you wonder doesnt it, lookin at that to replicate it at Carrow Road we need Ameobi AND Howard...

How can you say theres no strike force. Jamie Cureton on form is a proven goalscorer at this level, OJ and Lupoli fair enough we''ve not really seen them play but you never know - not to mention Wes Hoohalan causing trouble down the wing. Russell and Fozzy have decent shots on them as well. Why are all the half empties throwing their toys out the pram over this ''target man'', perhaps in the Peter Grant days when the only forward play was Doherty smashing the ball aimlessly up the field then we needed someone big up front, but I would much rather settle for watching some intelligent runs behind defenders and breaks in from the wings.

As for their attack, does it really look that threatening. Water off Stefanovic''s back!

I am very confident about today, we are in with a chance!

Morrison is a great striker, Eastwood and McKenzie are hit and miss and Mifsud has been told he''s never going to play for Coventry again.On it''s day, one of the best in the division. Off it, one of the most frustrating. Let''s hope they have an off day today.

I think what the poster is saying is we don''t have a target man to play with the other forwards.  However if you''re indeed saying we have no quality forwards then I would disagree with you.  Cureton, Lupoli and OJ will all score goals.

Also I did notice the irony in your post.  Its about a target man yet you mention the Coventry strikeforce and there isn''t a target man there.  Misfud, Eastwood, Morrison & Leon are all small strikers.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]

Wrong

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/coventry_city/7547054.stm

[/quote]Acctually read the article:And Coleman told BBC Coventry & Warwickshire: "If he wants to roll his sleeves up and do his best I won''t hold a grudge.

"You can''t just come back in to us now, saunter in, and think you''re going to go straight back into the team."

Maybe not the "never play for Coventry again" but definitely out of favour.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="Mr. Bump"]

Wrong

[/quote]

Acctually read the article:

And Coleman told BBC Coventry & Warwickshire: "If he wants to roll his sleeves up and do his best I won''t hold a grudge.

"You can''t just come back in to us now, saunter in, and think you''re going to go straight back into the team."

[/quote]

I did read the article, for your information. Where did I say he''d go straight in to the team? Out of favour yes but you didn''t say that so I was right.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]

How can you say theres no strike force. Jamie Cureton on form is a proven goalscorer at this level, OJ and Lupoli fair enough we''ve not really seen them play but you never know - not to mention Wes Hoohalan causing trouble down the wing. Russell and Fozzy have decent shots on them as well. 

[/quote]

How many goals did Fozzy and Rusty score last season then?

Lupoli and OJ arent match fit and are unproven and Jamie hasn''t got anyone to play off, has he?

I''m glad you are confident and wish I was.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="Mr. Bump"]

Wrong

[/quote]

Acctually read the article:

And Coleman told BBC Coventry & Warwickshire: "If he wants to roll his sleeves up and do his best I won''t hold a grudge.

[/quote]

I did read the article, for your information. Where did I say he''d go straight in to the team? Out of favour yes but you didn''t say that so I was right.

[/quote]

What do you want, a medal?

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Northern Canary"]

How can you say theres no strike force. Jamie Cureton on form is a proven goalscorer at this level, OJ and Lupoli fair enough we''ve not really seen them play but you never know - not to mention Wes Hoohalan causing trouble down the wing. Russell and Fozzy have decent shots on them as well. 

[/quote]

How many goals did Fozzy and Rusty score last season then?

Lupoli and OJ arent match fit and are unproven and Jamie hasn''t got anyone to play off, has he?

I''m glad you are confident and wish I was.

[/quote]

The concept of match fitness is probably a new one to OJ. If he plays he will run until he drops due to the chance he has been given in this country.

If his attitude is good, the level of match fitness is unimportant IMO

[quote user="Camuldonum"]Eastwood had one decent season with Sarfend and that''s about it so far.[/quote]

Eastwood struggled to score for Southend in The Championship, especially if you deduct the penalties he scored and the gift from the rugby player. He then struggled at Wolverhampton and did bugger all at The Ricoh today.

For all their reputations, I wasn''t impressed with any of the Cov forwards today, including Leon. Eastwood looked lost and Morrison was well off the pace.

Not that they got much service

[quote user="Canary Nut"]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]Eastwood had one decent season with Sarfend and that''s about it so far.[/quote]

Eastwood struggled to score for Southend in The Championship, especially if you deduct the penalties he scored and the gift from the rugby player. He then struggled at Wolverhampton and did bugger all at The Ricoh today.

[/quote]

Who knows? For Grays and Sarfend Div One he did fine.  Perhaps this is his year, or not as the case may be?

No thanks this end at your level.