Sign in to follow this  
Be Smart & sell to Cullum

What is the problem? Sort it out you lot!

Well Norwich''s spending spree is almost over & the natives are still very,very restless. What is the problem? Is it that we didn''t sign Ronaldo? Come on guys lets look objectively at what Glenn has got us.

John Kennedy a player rated so highly by Celtic that despite the fact that in 3 seasons he has hardly played due to injury they still gave him a new contract this season.

O.J hardly kicked a ball in this country, but Harry gave him a contract after seeing him in training and a couple of friendlies. He said half a dozen Championship clubs wanted him when they knew he was up for loan. Does Harry not know talent when he sees it?

Lupoli Arsenal wanted to keep him, AC Milan and Inter Milan wanted to sign him, must be crap then?

Wesley probably the bargin of the season? we paid 250k for him ad know several sides wanted him, his quality is surely not in doubt, one hell of a coup I would say.

Bell has a very good reputation, and most would admit whilst on loan at Leicester he was very good. I am also very sure other Championship clubs would have wanted to sign him, but he wanted to sign for us.

Stefano highly respected defender in the prem and had some very good games for Fulham last season (several Man of the match awards)

Nelson 24 clean sheets last season, left the club by mutual consent because he couldn''t settle in the area, otherwise a transfer fee of £250,000 + would have been involved

The other Fulham lad is a highly respected England U19 with a hell  of a future according to those who know more than us.

Ryan Bertrand We all know about him, don''t we? A class act for most of last year.

All of the above players would get a place in any Championship team, and some in any Lower to Mid Prem club.

I fully understand the concerns over the lack of money being spent, but with what Roeder has had to spend I think he has done an outstanding job, and I think we will still see a £1 million + striker very likely Ameobi.

I am happy with this team and with a little bit of luck the play offs should not beyond us. OTBC

Good post Smart

It could turn out to be some very shrewd business, but as you have said, we desperately need a serious match in match out striker that will score 20+ this season. Ameobi would be my choice also, but we''re going to struggle fnding the net regularly enough without him or someone similar.

Crucial final signings a must for me.

Thanks Smart

Some good points made. There is no doubt that we do need a big man up front in this league. Who would like the next signing to be?

i am pretty sure ven Roeder would agree with you that we need that class striker but he needs to find one who is also a target man, and with the money we have that could be very difficult but I look forward to see who he pulls out of the hat

[quote user="BunnyB"]i am pretty sure ven Roeder would agree with you that we need that class striker but he needs to find one who is also a target man, and with the money we have that could be very difficult but I look forward to see who he pulls out of the hat
[/quote]

I still think and hope it is Shola, he wants to be with Roeder, Roeder wants him here, and Newcastle want shot. I think it will happen, a few mind games are being played by Glenn and  Newcastle. So its see you soon Shola

No, the problem is that we have not spent much, so far, and many of the signings are loan signings - Lupoli, Kennedy, Bertrand, Osmosis, Komorah. In other words it is a relegation-avoiding squad rather an a promotion-seeking one .When the loan- players have returned, what then? Wes, Bell and Clingan are building a better a team. Stephanovic seems something of a stop-gap. Are we going to try to build a team with half loan players each year, or are we trying to build a large nucleus so that when we are promoted we shall stand some chance of staying there?

Are you actually suggesting Arturo Lupoli chose Norwich instead of AC milan and Inter milan.You need to stop reading so many massively over hyped Evening News and EDP articals.

[quote user="Salopian"]No, the problem is that we have not spent much, so far, and many of the signings are loan signings - Lupoli, Kennedy, Bertrand, Osmosis, Komorah. In other words it is a relegation-avoiding squad rather an a promotion-seeking one .

When the loan- players have returned, what then? Wes, Bell and Clingan are building a better a team. Stephanovic seems something of a stop-gap. Are we going to try to build a team with half loan players each year, or are we trying to build a large nucleus so that when we are promoted we shall stand some chance of staying there?

[/quote]

I agree with you 100%, but if that is they way we have to do things, then so be it. At the moment it is very much the way things will have to be done, wether we like it or not. I seem to remember when Birmingham went up a few seasons ago they had 4 or 5 loanees in the team most weeks. Who knows maybe PC will come back with another bid then we can start moving, if not we try to get promoted with loans, then sort out the team with the benefit of Premiership money, providing of course the board learnt from our last venture into the promised land.

[quote user="Disco Dale"]

Are you actually suggesting Arturo Lupoli chose Norwich instead of AC milan and Inter milan.You need to stop reading so many massively over hyped Evening News and EDP articals.

[/quote]

I think he might mean that they were interested only a year and a half ago.

[/quote]

No when he made it clear he was leaving Arsenal, AC Milan and Inter Milan were after him, but he went to Fiorentina as his 1st team chances were greater (or so he thought).

[quote user="Salopian"]No, the problem is that we have not spent much, so far, and many of the signings are loan signings - Lupoli, Kennedy, Bertrand, Osmosis, Komorah. In other words it is a relegation-avoiding squad rather an a promotion-seeking one .When the loan- players have returned, what then? Wes, Bell and Clingan are building a better a team. Stephanovic seems something of a stop-gap. Are we going to try to build a team with half loan players each year, or are we trying to build a large nucleus so that when we are promoted we shall stand some chance of staying there?

[/quote]I think you are looking to far forwardIt is an interesting tactic by Rodent to bring in players who have an opportunity to further their careers  If they do well the club does well and then has the chance of keeping them or attracting better players ( to a club on the up)If they dont do well he can get shot of them more easily and try with somebody else  A lower cost/risk optionThe big question is will it work

I appreciate you a trying to be positive and I agree Hoolahan looks a quality player but I feel we should be in for players like David Nugent,Kevin Philips etc who are proven top players at championship level if we are serious about getting to the premiership. 

[quote user="Be Smart "]

Well Norwich''s spending spree is almost over & the natives are still very,very restless. What is the problem? Is it that we didn''t sign Ronaldo? Come on guys lets look objectively at what Glenn has got us.

John Kennedy a player rated so highly by Celtic that despite the fact that in 3 seasons he has hardly played due to injury they still gave him a new contract this season.

O.J hardly kicked a ball in this country, but Harry gave him a contract after seeing him in training and a couple of friendlies. He said half a dozen Championship clubs wanted him when they knew he was up for loan. Does Harry not know talent when he sees it?

Lupoli Arsenal wanted to keep him, AC Milan and Inter Milan wanted to sign him, must be crap then?

Wesley probably the bargin of the season? we paid 250k for him ad know several sides wanted him, his quality is surely not in doubt, one hell of a coup I would say.

Bell has a very good reputation, and most would admit whilst on loan at Leicester he was very good. I am also very sure other Championship clubs would have wanted to sign him, but he wanted to sign for us.

Stefano highly respected defender in the prem and had some very good games for Fulham last season (several Man of the match awards)

Nelson 24 clean sheets last season, left the club by mutual consent because he couldn''t settle in the area, otherwise a transfer fee of £250,000 + would have been involved

The other Fulham lad is a highly respected England U19 with a hell  of a future according to those who know more than us.

Ryan Bertrand We all know about him, don''t we? A class act for most of last year.

All of the above players would get a place in any Championship team, and some in any Lower to Mid Prem club.

I fully understand the concerns over the lack of money being spent, but with what Roeder has had to spend I think he has done an outstanding job, and I think we will still see a £1 million + striker very likely Ameobi.

I am happy with this team and with a little bit of luck the play offs should not beyond us. OTBC

[/quote]

Noone expects to sign Multi million pound players and i''m sure most Suppoerters will support the new lads 110% but its the fact we''ve been here before with little success and the Board are clearly hoping on GR''s contacts and knowledge and avoiding any kind of ambition. We''ve spent less than ever this year and the Loans are covered by the players that have been sold/released imo.

J. Kennedy-Good prospect but we know little of him and scottish players tend to struggle here.

OJ-massive gamble and i will be very concerned if we dont get in a proven striker.

Lupoli-Failed miserbly to fulfill his potential with only 7 goals in his first team football career in something like 70 games.

Wes- A player i''m very happy with, tore us apart for Blackpool at CR and a great signing for his fee.

Bell-Again, looks like a bargain.

Stefano-Good strong player but a suspect we''ve seen better days.

Bertand-Like this lad,good future and happy to see him back

The rest we know little about, rather like some of PG''s signings so its far to early to suggest we will do well this time round. Many would argue we are in the same position as under Grant and look what happened then!

I think the objective of this season is to end middle table, would be massive progress on last season, then build again next season with the aim of finishing top half.  It takes seasons not a season to rebuild a team from scratch.  It might be a tedious way of looking at things but then realism often is.

There good and I look forward to seeing them, but I agree with Art, that they could be better signings, or more money spent. I''m not slagging the players, like I said there has been some good signings and they offer value for money, but if we want to be up there, we still need a big name signing too.

[quote user="Disco Dale"]I appreciate you a trying to be positive and I agree Hoolahan looks a quality player but I feel we should be in for players like David Nugent,Kevin Philips etc who are proven top players at championship level if we are serious about getting to the premiership. [/quote]

Thats the whole point we all want the players you have mentioned, and we should have the funds to get them, but we don''t. I just think with the funds we have Roeder has attracted players that should do a very good job for us, as a stop gap, and hopefully a little way down the line we will be able to buy the type of players we all want.

Maybe the most frustrating thing is that this league is anyones.We have seen teams come from nowhere to gain promotion(including us).We should be getting in play offs at least every year and we dont this year it will be failure.You dont need to win a high percentage of games to get there. 

Good post Be Smart.

Totally agree with what you say in it.

I think we are extremely fortunate to have our management team.

The board maybe learning their lessons at long last and backing quality as much as they can.

I am really looking forward to what Glenn''s final squad can conjure

Kennedy - Potentially good signing, depending on whether we see an Injury-struck Kennedy or signs of his former self.

O.J - Promising after all the raving, but hard to judge.

Lupoli - Not a prolific goal scorer but I''m glad he''s here

Hoolahan - Very good signing at a good price.

Bell - Happy with this, although I can''t see a Croft/Bell/Chadwick all here.

Stefano - Not sure about him, Prem experience but hopefully he''s not past it.

Nelson - Not really happy with this signing but I''ll give him a chance

Be Smart, having read your opening post (and agreeing with what you say) I notice that you''ve left out Sammy Clingan who we signed from Forest on a freebie. From what I''ve seen and from what I''ve heard, I wouldn''t be a bit surprised if he turned out to be the signing of the season. If not, then certainly an absolute bargain anyway.

What do you and others think about that?

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

Be Smart, having read your opening post (and agreeing with what you say) I notice that you''ve left out Sammy Clingan who we signed from Forest on a freebie. From what I''ve seen and from what I''ve heard, I wouldn''t be a bit surprised if he turned out to be the signing of the season. If not, then certainly an absolute bargain anyway.

[/quote]

I seem to remember a near-identical post this time last year about Brellier......fingers crossed and all that.  Again.....

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Be Smart "]

[/quote]

Noone expects to sign Multi million pound players and i''m sure most Suppoerters will support the new lads 110% but its the fact we''ve been here before with little success and the Board are clearly hoping on GR''s contacts and knowledge and avoiding any kind of ambition. We''ve spent less than ever this year and the Loans are covered by the players that have been sold/released imo.

J. Kennedy-Good prospect but we know little of him and scottish players tend to struggle here.

OJ-massive gamble and i will be very concerned if we dont get in a proven striker.

Lupoli-Failed miserbly to fulfill his potential with only 7 goals in his first team football career in something like 70 games.

Wes- A player i''m very happy with, tore us apart for Blackpool at CR and a great signing for his fee.

The rest we know little about, rather like some of PG''s signings so its far to early to suggest we will do well this time round. Many would argue we are in the same position as under Grant and look what happened then!

[/quote]

Arthur, as my memory doesn''t go back as far as yours, apart from Murray,Howie andLappin which scottish players have struggled here? Grant doesnt count [;)] Mackay? Gunn? Fleck? Marshall? Fozzy? Holt?Macdougall? Forbes? Punton?

[/quote]no they where aftre him when he left Arsenal

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

[/quote]

I seem to remember a near-identical post this time last year about Brellier......fingers crossed and all that.  Again.....

[/quote]

I know what you''re saying Mr. Carrow but, the difference is, Clingan knows about English football.

And it wasn''t me who wrote that near-identical post this time last year about Brellier - unless someone can prove otherwise[:P]

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Be Smart "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Arthur, as my memory doesn''t go back as far as yours, apart from Murray,Howie andLappin which scottish players have struggled here? Grant doesnt count [;)] Mackay? Gunn? Fleck? Marshall? Fozzy? Holt?Macdougall? Forbes? Punton?

[/quote]

I stand corrected on that one. Maybe i should''ve said very recent ones under poo managers! I still feel he''s a risk but like i also said he''s got the potential.

Take the loans out and the spending has been abysmal and still we cannot afford 1 signing of the pricey type , loans do  cost money although theres no re-sale value , when those players return to their own clubs that money is lost forever and we will still have only half a very average squad . I can only get excited about 1 signing this summer and thats Hoolahan and if it wasnt for the £250,000 release clause we would not have got him either .I think if the club keeps spending nothing every window its only a matter of time before we go down , players like Oszmusi and Koroma are massive gambles as are Kennedys knees ,how much does Stefanovic want it at his age and when was the last time Lupoli showed any form .Get excited if you want but its just a massive paper over the cracks job done on a shoestring.

[/quote]

I adt Clingan is one that slips my mind alot, i''ve heard good reports about this fella aswell and Forest didn''t want him to go. Mind you we seem to make a habit of signing players from promoted clubs only for those players to underperform for us and their previous clubs go on to better things....Jarret and Hughes spring to mind.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

[/quote]

I adt Clingan is one that slips my mind alot, i''ve heard good reports about this fella aswell and Forest didn''t want him to go. Mind you we seem to make a habit of signing players from promoted clubs only for those players to underperform for us and their previous clubs go on to better things....Jarret and Hughes spring to mind.

[/quote]

But Hooze has joined a League One side and where is Jarrett now?

You been drinking meths while in Derbyshire or something? [;)]

[/quote]

I think he will be a good/great signing but not signing of the season.

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But Hooze has joined a League One side and where is Jarrett now?

You been drinking meths while in Derbyshire or something? [;)]

[/quote]

LOL. You missed my point mate, They do very well for the club we sign them from etc Wigan-Jarret, Hughes-Reading, there respective teams want to keep them but the player feels he''s going,at the time, to a bigger club like Norwich and than the club [Wigan,Reading] Go on to great things without those players. Maybe it could turn out that way? But i''ve heard good things about him just like JJ and Hoozy but fingers crossed and that.