Sign in to follow this  
Camuldonum

Just Norwich...............

William and Ginger trudged home, hands in their pockets, utterly disgraced at the Conker championships. They barely exchanged a word although  William did kick at an apple core and missed.

Just as they rounded the corner near Farmer Jenkins field Hubert Lane and Bertie  Franks stepped out from behind the Elderberry bush.  Hubert was smiling in his superior manner. "Now whose team won?" he said. "Mine and I told you it would."

"Go away" said William with more than a hint of weariness. "Shan''t" said Hubert. Bertie emerged as usual from behind his friend and put his tongue out after wiping his nose on his sleeve.

"Yeah and who smashed four of your conkers?" he taunted.  "My friend Darren that''s who. I told you your team weren''t no good."

This remark enraged Ginger who rolled up both his sleeves and set off towards them but gave up the pursuit as they ran off down the road.  Only when they were at a safe distance did Bertie turn and shout: "And Hubert''s got enough money for six gobstoppers."

As they turned into the field Ginger said: "Look, William, things can''t get any worse can they?"

William didn''t answer but as it turned out things did get worse.  Outside the barn door stood Violet Elizabeth Bott.  "Oh, no" said Ginger. "That''s all we need - that girl."

"Hello you two" said Violet Elizabeth and before either could utter a word prounouced: "I''m thorry you loth at the conkerth but we need a big tall tharget man up fronth and if we don''t get one I''m going to thcream and thcream till I''m thick - I can you know."

"See, I told you it couldn''t get any worse," said Ginger, loyally.

William looked at him. . "Oh yes it can," he said. "We''ve got Colchester on Saturday."

"Cripes," said Ginger.  "I''d forgotten that."

William''s brow furrowed. "There''s only one thing for it.  We must call a meeting of the Council of Outlaws."

"What is Colthester" inquired Violet Elizabeth.

"Nothing a silly GIRL would know anything about" said Ginger, in his most spirited fashion.

Violet Elizabeth''s eyes slowly filled with tears.   She stamped her foot on the ground twice before running off.  "And anyway, I''m glad your silly old theam losth."

"That''s the trouble with girls," said Ginger.

"Never mind that," said William, his mood brightening for the first time in an hour.  "I''ve got a plan......"

(With heartfelt apologies to that great and wonderful creative writer Richmal Crompton)

Humpty Dumpty fell off the wall

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

With all the kings horses and all the new strikers

We''ll put up your @rse some real big frighteners! [:P]

I have to say that as a message board you are almost unequalled in beating yourselves up over a friendly.

Who needs away fans?

Quite remarkable, as David Coleman might have observed.

Come on Cal, we''re ( us ) all hardened fans ( most anyway ) but you have to admit tonight was pretty shocking.

Do you not think that tonight was a clear example of a team that desperatly needs to re-evaluate its attacking options?

[quote user="SAFU2007"]

Come on Cal, we''re ( us ) all hardened fans ( most anyway ) but you have to admit tonight was pretty shocking.

Do you not think that tonight was a clear example of a team that desperatly needs to re-evaluate its attacking options?

[/quote]

Nope, I don''t think it was shocking but that''s just me.

After Canaries World kicked in I thought you had a pretty competitive first half. Yes, it did look at times like a team not used to playing with one another which is possibly a factor but I''d like to point out that Mr Cullum''s generous offer of £20m wouldn''t have gone far in the Tottenham line up would it?

I thought you looked somewhat knackered in the second half and you gave them far too much time on the ball but I''d rather my team did that than risk injury in some meaningless warm up.

Lighten up! You''ve got Colchester on Saturday.

And I''m only concentrating on away to Hartlepool United on Aug 9 cos they are in the same League.

[quote user="camuldonum"][quote user="SAFU2007"]

[/quote]

Nope, I don''t think it was shocking but that''s just me.

After Canaries World kicked in I thought you had a pretty competitive first half. Yes, it did look at times like a team not used to playing with one another which is possibly a factor but I''d like to point out that Mr Cullum''s generous offer of £20m wouldn''t have gone far in the Tottenham line up would it?

I thought you looked somewhat knackered in the second half and you gave them far too much time on the ball but I''d rather my team did that than risk injury in some meaningless warm up.

Lighten up! You''ve got Colchester on Saturday.

And I''m only concentrating on away to Hartlepool United on Aug 9 cos they are in the same League.

[/quote]

Thats been our problem for some time now.

We defend and defend and defend, no one wants to make a challenge, and by the time our opponents are on the edge of our penalty area we have allowed them to have a shot or make a telling pass. The way we play needs to be looked at and the tactics changed.

Loved the Just William books.

Must have read them all when I was a kid.

I went to Tuckswood library every week to borrow one.

Ah  happy days.

[quote user="alykanas"]

Ah  happy days.

[/quote]

Me too, although I used to get mine from that strange little wooden hut library that used to be in the woods between West Earlham and the Larkman in the 60''s and early 70''s. I don''t suppose it''s still there is it? 

All very well and good Camuldonum but why do you, a Colchester fan, post messages on this MB especially such long messages. Don''t you have anything better to do ?

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I think Richmal Crompton is going to go over the heads of most on the board, couldn''t you have used Pokemon instead? [:P][/quote]

I always assumed Richmal Crompton was a man when I was a kid. It wasn''t until a few years ago I realised she was a she! We had all the books at home as well.

But yes, I think a lot of the school holidayers on here at the moment may not be aware of Just William...

Arguido, which means official suspect in English wrote the following post at 29/07/2008 10:16 AM:

All very well and good Camuldonum but why do you, a Colchester fan, post messages on this MB especially such long messages. Don''t you have anything better to do ?

AS a member of this forum for 3 days, you obviously have not had the chance to interact with Cam.

His insight and view from outside is often the only voice worth listening to sometimes.....(mind you he also runs on a bit at times too)

Welcome to the board by the way.

Arguido, which means official suspect in English wrote the following post at 29/07/2008 10:16 AM:

One of the reasons that I decided to start posting was the presence of people like Cam and Ardee who actually give the impression of thinking before they write rather than hurling abuse at others or making kneejerk reactions.I''m always happy to read his posts,however long they are!

[quote user="shortfatb"][quote user="alykanas"]

Ah  happy days.

[/quote]

Me too, although I used to get mine from that strange little wooden hut library that used to be in the woods between West Earlham and the Larkman in the 60''s and early 70''s. I don''t suppose it''s still there is it? 

[/quote]

Me too shortfatb. When that "strange little wooden hut" first opened it was like a revelation to some of us Larkman boys who were usually occupied with things other than books.

[quote user="Goddess Delia"]All very well and good Camuldonum but why do you, a Colchester fan, post messages on this MB especially such long messages. Don''t you have anything better to do ?[/quote]Don''t you have anything better to do than read them?Camuldonum is one of most entertaining/informative reads on these forums in my humble opinion.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Goddess Delia"]All very well and good Camuldonum but why do you, a Colchester fan, post messages on this MB especially such long messages. Don''t you have anything better to do ?[/quote]

Don''t you have anything better to do than read them?
Camuldonum is one of most entertaining/informative reads on these forums in my humble opinion.
[/quote]

Yep the lovely old boy is all about , I just love his posts to bits , such a lovely old sweet boy , without his post I don''t think I would be ...well I don''t want to say anymore .....arrdee.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="shortfatb"][quote user="alykanas"]

Ah  happy days.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Me too shortfatb. When that "strange little wooden hut" first opened it was like a revelation to some of us Larkman boys who were usually occupied with things other than books.

[/quote]

Just saw this Yankee, I don''t really think West Earlham was a renowned seat of learning before or after the library! I wonder if it''s still there? I still go to Norwich to see the football but all my family have pretty much left West Earlham and Larkman now either voluntarily or in a box, sadly. And I don''t suppose you ever go back. Is ''the woods'' still even a wood?   

[quote user="shortfatb"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="shortfatb"][quote user="alykanas"]

Ah  happy days.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just saw this Yankee, I don''t really think West Earlham was a renowned seat of learning before or after the library! I wonder if it''s still there? I still go to Norwich to see the football but all my family have pretty much left West Earlham and Larkman now either voluntarily or in a box, sadly. And I don''t suppose you ever go back. Is ''the woods'' still even a wood?   

[/quote]

Hi shortfab. When I''m back I make it a point to pass by the Larkman on my way to see family who live west of there. Last time I looked I think the woods was still there but not the little hut. So many memories as a child in those woods. I remember on Guy Fawkes night one time when we had pulled some stunts we should not have done with Cannon''s and Thunder ( do you remember those? ) I still have vivid memories of two bobbies on bicycles chasing us through those woods. They did not know all the hiding places however. All my family always refers to it as Earlham Woods ( which is correct ) but, for some strange reason, somewhere in my memory is a reference to it being called Betty''s Woods. Now I knew a girl called Betty but.....that''s another story.

William Brown is an eleven-year-old boy, eternally scruffy and frowning. William and his friends, Douglas, Henry and Ginger, call themselves the Outlaws, and meet at the old barn in Farmer Jenks'' field. The Outlaws are sworn enemies of the Hubert Laneites, with whom they frequently clash.

William''s family, his elder red-gold haired sister Ethel and brother Robert, placid mother and stern father, and never-ending supply of elderly aunts, cannot understand William. Only his mother has any sympathy for him.

Other recurring characters include Violet Elizabeth Bott, lisping spoiled daughter of the local nouveau riche millionaire ("I''ll thcream and thcream ''till I''m thick — I can, you know") and Joan Clive, the dark haired girl for whom William has a soft spot. Joan is sometimes considered a member of the Outlaws (the only girl entitled to this high privilege) and sometimes an "Outlaw ally" because she took a special oath. At one point she went away to boarding school, but continued to appear in William''s adventures during her holidays.

William is an adventurous, imaginative, romanticising, irrepressible, optimistic, lovable, larger than life character. He writes stories (The Tale of The Bloody Hand), although most of these are written in terrible grammar, much to comic effect. He likes to perform drama, and is fond of white rats, Bull''s Eyes, football (soccer) and cricket.

A notable feature of the stories is the subtle observance of the nature of Leadership. William often has to reconcile his own ambitions with the needs of the individuals within the "Outlaws". His strength of personality means that his leadership is never questioned. This poses interesting comparisons with the era in which the majority of the William stories were written: the 1920s and 30s. And yet, despite his charisma and strength of personality, William rarely exercises his power over the Outlaws without conscience...

William has a few arch-enemies - Hubert Lane being the most sought after. Others include Hubert''s lieutenant Bertie Franks and supporters.

I first starting reading this stuff 56 years ago.

Match those characters to the characters on this board.

Bonus points for suggesting whose is the Father of Violet Elizabeth Bott.

I think I am William.  Eternally scruffy and frowning sounds like me and the rest of it pretty much as well except for the terrible grammar.

And Houston Canary is Hubert Lane.

Come to think of it that is probably why I came into journalism or perhaps why it chose me?  I decided by the age of 12 and I think it was possibly the chance of causing chaos which attracted me to the business and still does for that matter............

The chance to do your own thing, given the opportunity.

See Under Page 13 Daily Star: Dog''s Brain Soup on Olympic Menu, not that I''d personally recommend it or the Daily Star.

I''m sure Arrdee does great stuff but "Goat''s Lungs and Red Peppers" ?

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Come to think of it that is probably why I came into journalism or perhaps why it chose me?  I decided by the age of 12 and I think it was possibly the chance of causing chaos which attracted me to the business and still does for that matter............

The chance to do your own thing, given the opportunity.

See Under Page 13 Daily Star: Dog''s Brain Soup on Olympic Menu, not that I''d personally recommend it or the Daily Star.

I''m sure Arrdee does great stuff but "Goat''s Lungs and Red Peppers" ?

[/quote]

Anyone who has had the opportunity of looking at the street stalls in Beijing will realise how really very little us westerners know about the food options of our shrinking world! And how ''limited'' are the menus of our Chinese restaurants!

Absolutely fascinating.

One love.

OTBC

If only we had an interpreter at the time.