Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Norwich lining up bid for Paterson?

Canaries in for striker

20080611 14:57

Norwich boss Glenn Roeder is lining up a bid to sign Martin Paterson, who has handed in a transfer request at Scunthorpe.

Roeder is in the hunt for a new striker this summer and Paterson is on his list of possible targets. Signing him may be easier said than done though as Scunthorpe are digging their heals in and have already thrown out one bid of £550,000 which was made by Burnley.

Paterson is fuming and after accusing the Iron of going back on their word, is demanding they let him move back into the Championship.

"I''ve obviously made it very clear I want to leave the club by handing in a transfer request," he said. "The reason that I did that is because when I signed, the club said if I did well they wouldn''t stand in my way of bettering myself or staying in the Championship.

"I''m coming to the end of a year where I think I''ve done OK. I''ve not ripped up trees, but I think I''ve done well and that Scunthorpe have gone back on their word.

[quote user="colneycanary"]Canaries in for striker 20080611 14:57 Norwich boss Glenn Roeder is lining up a bid to sign Martin Paterson, who has handed in a transfer request at Scunthorpe. Roeder is in the hunt for a new striker this summer and Paterson is on his list of possible targets. Signing him may be easier said than done though as Scunthorpe are digging their heals in and have already thrown out one bid of £550,000 which was made by Burnley. Paterson is fuming and after accusing the Iron of going back on their word, is demanding they let him move back into the Championship. "I''ve obviously made it very clear I want to leave the club by handing in a transfer request," he said. "The reason that I did that is because when I signed, the club said if I did well they wouldn''t stand in my way of bettering myself or staying in the Championship. "I''m coming to the end of a year where I think I''ve done OK. I''ve not ripped up trees, but I think I''ve done well and that Scunthorpe have gone back on their word.[/quote]

Scunny really aren''t playing ball here, especially after they took Stoke to a tribunal to sign Paterson in the first place for a derisory sum - around 200k if I recall correctly.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="colneycanary"]Canaries in for striker 20080611 14:57 Norwich boss Glenn Roeder is lining up a bid to sign Martin Paterson, who has handed in a transfer request at Scunthorpe. Roeder is in the hunt for a new striker this summer and Paterson is on his list of possible targets. Signing him may be easier said than done though as Scunthorpe are digging their heals in and have already thrown out one bid of £550,000 which was made by Burnley. Paterson is fuming and after accusing the Iron of going back on their word, is demanding they let him move back into the Championship. "I''ve obviously made it very clear I want to leave the club by handing in a transfer request," he said. "The reason that I did that is because when I signed, the club said if I did well they wouldn''t stand in my way of bettering myself or staying in the Championship. "I''m coming to the end of a year where I think I''ve done OK. I''ve not ripped up trees, but I think I''ve done well and that Scunthorpe have gone back on their word.[/quote]

Scunny really aren''t playing ball here, especially after they took Stoke to a tribunal to sign Paterson in the first place for a derisory sum - around 200k if I recall correctly.

[/quote]

It was £305,000 and a further £120,000 based on appearances (according to BBC). Think I heard they have a 20% sell-on clause too. So, Scunthorpe will probably want a fair bit to make a profit on him. If i was them i''d want 600/700k ish, but obviously they are holding out for more, although they will have to go down from that if noone is willing to pay more.

If hes under contract they dont have to play ball , do we really want another player with no loyalty to his club , what happens if we have a bad season again he may throw his toys out of the pram again .Cannot see how people who have slagged off Ashton and Earnshaw would want a player like this to sign .Then again hes a short guy so it would certainly mean the end of Cureton so yeah lets go get him .

[quote user="Ncfc No Ambition"]If hes under contract they dont have to play ball , do we really want another player with no loyalty to his club , what happens if we have a bad season again he may throw his toys out of the pram again .Cannot see how people who have slagged off Ashton and Earnshaw would want a player like this to sign .Then again hes a short guy so it would certainly mean the end of Cureton so yeah lets go get him .
[/quote]

Cureton''s goal ratio was better than his last season!

[quote user="colneycanary"]Many web sites now reporting this![/quote]And all reguritated from a single news story 2 weeks ago...

[quote user="Ncfc No Ambition"]If hes under contract they dont have to play ball , do we really want another player with no loyalty to his club , what happens if we have a bad season again he may throw his toys out of the pram again .Cannot see how people who have slagged off Ashton and Earnshaw would want a player like this to sign .Then again hes a short guy so it would certainly mean the end of Cureton so yeah lets go get him .
[/quote]

Football in 2008 is a market economy, most fans realise this.  The boy next door doesn''t play for his local club anymore, clubs are brands, and the talent tends to go to the highest bidder, or the managers with the best contacts.  You get occasional exceptions like Billy Sharp, but for every one of those there are a hundred Luke Varneys.

I couldnt agree more , but many on here look on Ashton and Earnshaw as some sort of traitors to the cause because they wanted better for themselves than a struggling Championship side.

Scunthorpe chairman now saying Paterson will NOT be sold and will NOT being going anywhere!

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1781_3678113,00.html

That''s just silly isn''t it?  You can lead a horse to water but you can''t make it drink is the saying.  If the player has stated he wants to leave and reinforced that by handing in a transfer request, it''s pretty obvious to me that he''s not happy there and wants to move on, why would their club want a player who''s heart is not with that club any longer to play for them?  Does not make sense to me [:|]

My football writer saying we wont go for Ameobi  because of cost and it looks like its only £2 million up front , get ready for another summer of below standard players arriving .

All the chairman will end up with is a player who won''t perform.  If he had any sense, he''d be trying to get the best price he can, you''d have thought he''d have learnt that after Billy Sharp.

[quote user="Ncfc No Ambition"]My football writer saying we wont go for Ameobi  because of cost and it looks like its only £2 million up front , get ready for another summer of below standard players arriving .[/quote]Two Million for a player with one year left on his contract? TBH, i wouldn''t pay that either  

[quote user="Ncfc No Ambition"]My football writer saying we wont go for Ameobi  because of cost and it looks like its only £2 million up front , get ready for another summer of below standard players arriving .
[/quote]

Because we won''t pay an over inflated price for Ameobi?

But there are many clubs who will pay 2 million even though he only has 1 year left on contract. Thats why we are just a middle of the road team in this league. Having no ambition is what i call it!

lol, i think 90% of you laughed when i told you in post some weeks ago that we could not afford any big money signings cause simply, we got no cash. Any manager in their right head would sign Amoebi for 2m-3m possibly more if they had the money. This is proof that City are broke, big chiefs dipping their paws in the cookie jar.

Well if reports are correct and we payed around £750,000 -  £900,000 for  Jamie Cureton last summer , then quite frankly Ameobi for £2 million is an absolute bargain .

I don''t think that £2m is an overinflated price, he''s got 1yr left on his contract sure but what will he do then, walk out for nothing we suppose but because he''ll be available for free there''ll be a lot more Clubs in the hunt and his personal bargaining ability will improve dramatically. Which is cheaper, £2m up front then £1m after a year plus say £15k per week wages or no fee to the Club but a large signing on fee and £30k+ a week wages because that''s what  would happen in reality if he were still at Newcastle in a year, he certainly wouldn''t be free.
Clubs like Birmingham and Portsmouth built teams by not paying large fees for the purchase but putting the money towards wages instead, allowing them to buy far beyond the level they might have otherwise been able to afford. So what would he be looking at next year? £15k tops from us or £30k plus from any number of these type of clubs.
On the face of it the no fee big wages might seem cheaper but he''d need to score somewhere around 10-15 goals a season to retain his value, 20 goals and we''d probably be looking at a profit. We''d also have to wait a year to save the fee possibly two if he''s got the standard additional year clause. Oh we could be "cleverer" with Ameobi but we''d be foolish to try, and I think those concerned finally understand this at last.

Any suggestions for a striker £2m or less who is all but certain to score 10-15 goals and quite likely to score 20+ goals a season at this level. Even we''ve paid more than this for a striker with this potential in this league.

[quote user="Steelsilver"]lol, i think 90% of you laughed when i told you in post some weeks ago that we could not afford any big money signings cause simply, we got no cash.[/quote]

Big deal!......I''ve said the same on here for the last two years.............what do you want, a bloody medal?[:|]