Sign in to follow this  
Jonncfc

Difficult decisions

Absolutely sick of reading the totally unwarranted abuse directed at Glenn Roeder simply because he has had the courage to make some difficult management decisions.  Reasonable and well-argued criticism is one thing but when people start resorting to calling him childish names like "Rodent" and "Ratty" then that, frankly, is ridiculous.  Grow up and stop being so immature! 

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Hi Glen!.[:D][/quote]

Do you go out of your way to be an annoying idiot or does it just come naturally?

i felt that hucks was worth another year.  but hindsight will tell if roedy was bold or crass over hucks.  its time to trust in the bloke now, and hopefully he''ll pull some decent guys in.  he seems to know his onions, and hopefully will have learned by jan window fiasco - so i''m behind roedy for now.  for the sake of NCFC - we need to draw a line and move on - we need to attract some good uns here in what could be a watershed season. 

[quote user="ricky knight"]In your mind its unwarranted in others its warranted, what makes you right and them wrong, just wondered.[/quote]

Reasonable criticism is fine by me.  No problem with that at all.  Every manager/leader has to expect to be criticised - after all, "you can''t please all of the people all of the time".  However, being blatantly abusive to him simply because you don''t agree with one of his decisions (and lets be honest, this has all come about because of "that" decision) is, in my opinion, unwarranted.  None of us know what his budget is going to be for next season but it is reasonable to assume it is going to be pathetically small.  Because of that, given that he has to rebuild virtually the entire squad, it is right and proper that he looks closely at the current players, the wage bill attributed to them and their footballing value in the future.  It would have been far easier for him to have taken the "popular" decision but all credit to him for being prepared to stick his head above the parapet.  Leaders have to be prepared to make unpopular decisions and they certainly don''t deserve to be called "Rodent" or "Ratty" just because of that.

[quote user="The Anonymous One"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]In your mind its unwarranted in others its warranted, what makes you right and them wrong, just wondered.[/quote]

Reasonable criticism is fine by me.  No problem with that at all.  Every manager/leader has to expect to be criticised - after all, "you can''t please all of the people all of the time".  However, being blatantly abusive to him simply because you don''t agree with one of his decisions (and lets be honest, this has all come about because of "that" decision) is, in my opinion, unwarranted.  None of us know what his budget is going to be for next season but it is reasonable to assume it is going to be pathetically small.  Because of that, given that he has to rebuild virtually the entire squad, it is right and proper that he looks closely at the current players, the wage bill attributed to them and their footballing value in the future.  It would have been far easier for him to have taken the "popular" decision but all credit to him for being prepared to stick his head above the parapet.  Leaders have to be prepared to make unpopular decisions and they certainly don''t deserve to be called "Rodent" or "Ratty" just because of that.

[/quote]

Totally 100% agree, TAO. The level of abuse was something I commented on a thread of my own. Roeder has, quite clearly, made a footballing decision (read MyFootballWriter.com, he explains that he has two targets lined up which are better and didn''t feel Huckerby would be happy as third choice).

Setting aside the reasons for it, it''s natural that people will disagree. We''re all reasonable human beings (except Wiz, he''s just an ageing attention seeker who lives in his old world). But resorting to ridiculous name calling, threats of protests against Roeder, calling for Roeder''s head or calling him things like a "spineless coward" is simply pathetic, unwarranted and unjustified.

If you can''t argue something controversial without resorting to name calling without the person present and able to defend themselves, then don''t do it at all. It''s pathetic.

I think if you''ve been reading the board you would be aware that much of the criticism is not about making ''difficult management decisions'' (though there is plenty of that as well) but about about the way in which the decision was made and implemented.

I agree that does not warrant childish name calling but as someone who was delighted by Roeder''s appointment and has been 100% behind him up until this week, I have to say that I am genuinely surprised and hugely dissappointed at the complete stupidity he has displayed this week.

He is often described as, and has appeared to be, an intelligent manager but to me this week has clearly demonstrated that whilst he may be technically very knowledgeable and well connected in the game, he is nowhere near as clever as I had imagined in other aspects of the manager''s job. As someone who only has half a squad at the moment, and who needs to attract players, manage and motivate them, inspire commitment and loyalty from them, his crass actions of this week appear inexplicable.

The sad thing, because I would love to see him succeed for us, is that he has managed to engineer a situation where instead of having the whole club and fans behind him, he will start the new season with a large proportion of the fans simply waiting for the first stumble. It could come in the first game, might not happen till Christmas but I think whenever it comes he will start to come under pressure and I think it will be pretty savage.

He doesnt seem to have much time for the fans and up to a point I sympathise with that as well - I''d be pretty hacked off if there were 20,000 people who thought they could do my job better than me. But I dont think he has a Worthy style rhino hide and once the fans turn I think he''ll be gone fairly quickly. So dont know when exactly it will happen but he has effectively shortened his own stay at Norwich, potentially by a long while and again, that''s sad, because we are only ever going to succeed with some stability.

[quote user="Wings"][quote user="The Anonymous One"]

[/quote]

Totally 100% agree, TAO. The level of abuse was something I commented on a thread of my own. Roeder has, quite clearly, made a footballing decision (read MyFootballWriter.com, he explains that he has two targets lined up which are better and didn''t feel Huckerby would be happy as third choice).

Setting aside the reasons for it, it''s natural that people will disagree. We''re all reasonable human beings (except Wiz, he''s just an ageing attention seeker who lives in his old world). But resorting to ridiculous name calling, threats of protests against Roeder, calling for Roeder''s head or calling him things like a "spineless coward" is simply pathetic, unwarranted and unjustified.

If you can''t argue something controversial without resorting to name calling without the person present and able to defend themselves, then don''t do it at all. It''s pathetic.

[/quote]

cant wait to see his targets if they are both better than Hux, whats the betting we miss out on them, call me an old cynic but.........

Do you go out of your way to be an annoying idiot or does it just come naturally?

[/quote]

I think its natual.[:P]

[/quote]

Hi Neil?....Hi Rogernater?....Hi Delia?.....Hi Mickey?....Hi Joe Ferrarrarrarr....arri?

except Wiz, he''s just an ageing attention seeker who lives in his old world). But resorting to ridiculous name calling, threats of protests against Roeder, calling for Roeder''s head or calling him things like a "spineless coward" is simply pathetic, unwarranted and unjustified.

[/quote]

Oh, the delicious taste of irony.[:D][:D]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

except Wiz, he''s just an ageing attention seeker who lives in his old world). But resorting to ridiculous name calling, threats of protests against Roeder, calling for Roeder''s head or calling him things like a "spineless coward" is simply pathetic, unwarranted and unjustified.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh the delicious taste of the message board telling porkies!  Look above - your thread may have attributed that quote to me but I didn''t type it!

[quote user="Wings"]

[/quote]

PS. apologies to ''the anonymous one'', I wrongly quoted you, sorry.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Wings"]

[/quote]

PS. apologies to ''the anonymous one'', I wrongly quoted you, sorry.

[/quote]

No probs.

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]

I think if you''ve been reading the board you would be aware that much of the criticism is not about making ''difficult management decisions'' (though there is plenty of that as well) but about about the way in which the decision was made and implemented.

I agree that does not warrant childish name calling but as someone who was delighted by Roeder''s appointment and has been 100% behind him up until this week, I have to say that I am genuinely surprised and hugely dissappointed at the complete stupidity he has displayed this week.

He is often described as, and has appeared to be, an intelligent manager but to me this week has clearly demonstrated that whilst he may be technically very knowledgeable and well connected in the game, he is nowhere near as clever as I had imagined in other aspects of the manager''s job. As someone who only has half a squad at the moment, and who needs to attract players, manage and motivate them, inspire commitment and loyalty from them, his crass actions of this week appear inexplicable.

The sad thing, because I would love to see him succeed for us, is that he has managed to engineer a situation where instead of having the whole club and fans behind him, he will start the new season with a large proportion of the fans simply waiting for the first stumble. It could come in the first game, might not happen till Christmas but I think whenever it comes he will start to come under pressure and I think it will be pretty savage.

He doesnt seem to have much time for the fans and up to a point I sympathise with that as well - I''d be pretty hacked off if there were 20,000 people who thought they could do my job better than me. But I dont think he has a Worthy style rhino hide and once the fans turn I think he''ll be gone fairly quickly. So dont know when exactly it will happen but he has effectively shortened his own stay at Norwich, potentially by a long while and again, that''s sad, because we are only ever going to succeed with some stability.

[/quote]

Fantastic post, and every point you make is absolutely spot

on.

You can see his intentions are good and honest, but his latest comments today

about the Huckerby decision are another example of his naivety when it comes to

understanding the fans.

By saying that he "doesn''t understand what all the fuss is about" is

a real revelation of ignorance. He really did have no idea just how much of a

hero Huckerby was to the fans, and he never even considered what it would mean

to them not giving Hucks a proper send off… And that''s worrying.

He''s also made the job of Huckerby''s replacement(s) ten times harder than it

should be by describing them as being "better" than Huckerby. Again,

I can understand why he''s said it, and he''s only being honest, but those player(s)

are now going to have a hell of a job filling Darren''s boots.

Can you imagine what the reaction from the crowd will

be like if our new left winger turns out to be another Andy Hughes or Kieran

Gibbs? They’ll be crucified, and so will Glenn if he doesn’t respond with

immediate results – and all of this could have been avoided if someone at the

Club had had the intelligence to step in and say “hang on, we need to make sure

we handle this Huckerby contract thing properly and give him the send off he

and the fans deserve.”