Sign in to follow this  
Tookie140

Glenn Roeder wants Dion Dublin to put off his decision to retire for a year

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]Let''s hope Glenn has a persuasive tongue then - without Dublin we are stuffed next season.[/quote]

...laughable. He is a good player but to say that we are nothing without him is ridiculous.

[quote user="ricky knight"]says it all about our ambition we have to beg a man near 40 to stay, Delia and co please take a hike.[/quote]If people can still wrestle at 60 why can''t they still play football at 40 Ricky ?

if you think i am 60 you dont know who i am for one, for two yes Dion can still do it, though for a full season i am not sure, that is not my beef, surely to question our ambition is in order to try and keep a man who wants to retire, (i dont whilst i still get booked all over europe), surely we should be looking at a striker with pace and class who can hit the net on a regular basis.

[quote user="ricky knight"]if you think i am 60 you dont know who i am for one, for two yes Dion can still do it, though for a full season i am not sure, that is not my beef, surely to question our ambition is in order to try and keep a man who wants to retire, (i dont whilst i still get booked all over europe), surely we should be looking at a striker with pace and class who can hit the net on a regular basis.[/quote]Sorry Ricky, nothing personal, (just quoted wrestling because of your involvement in it and several ''older'' pros have kept going into their sixties despite all the rough and tumble) so 40 isn''t that old.

The point I was trying to make was that GR wouldn''t see it as a lack of ambition if he could keep Dion for one more season, in fact, on the contrary, GR has shown faith in young talent ( i.e Evans, Bertrand) and he obviously sees the benefit of keeping Dion around to develop younger players. Plus, to have him on the bench to come on for the final fifteen minutes or so either to find that extra goal or shore up the back makes sound sense.

[quote user="ricky knight"]if you think i am 60 you dont know who i am for one, for two yes Dion can still do it, though for a full season i am not sure, that is not my beef, surely to question our ambition is in order to try and keep a man who wants to retire, (i dont whilst i still get booked all over europe), surely we should be looking at a striker with pace and class who can hit the net on a regular basis.[/quote]

I don''t believe it, Ricky. A post that hits the nail on the head that I can agree with entirely.!![:D]

(......perhaps a young mobile CB as well to take his covering role)

i actually hope he doesnt come back...

allthough he is a class act and in my opinion the best player at the club, i believe he will soon get to old for even him to cut it and instead of leaving a hero, he will leave as somebody who everyone wanted to go.. as he has a bad season.

and nobody can say if he does have a bad season he will still be a hero for what he has done, look at all the stick huckerby is getting for not being as good as he used to be if you want evidence...

Glad we can agree on something bigfish[:D]. As far as Dion is concerned we got rid of Roberts and Malky at much younger ages, stating they were too old yet a couple of years later are relying on a veteran to stay, ironic, and shows how far we have fallen imo.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]As a guide Lappin the younger wrestlers wear trunks while the older ones wear leotards.[/quote]

when is the last time you went wrestling, sure as hell aint recently.

How old is Rick Flair?  Still doing it at the highest level.  Undertaker must be mid-fifties at best.  Finlay, he''s been wrestling since he was "Fit" Finlay on ITV Saturday mornings.

Mind you, football ain''t wrestling... unless you''re the Doc and you''re defending a set piece on the edge of the area.

flair is near to 60, undertaker is early 40s, finlay is 49, i am in my 50s but wrestling is completely different, moving across a 16 foot wrestling ring for half an hour is a bit different to running round a football pitch with players who are fitter now than they have ever been. As i have said, Dion is fine its the board i cant stand.

I cant understand why he is retiring the guy looked very dangerous against us (Bury). I know we arent a Championship side but he as alot to offer maybe coming off the bench. He seems atop bloke as well at the end of the game at Gigg he shook every Bury players hand.

[quote user="ipswichrscum"]

i actually hope he doesnt come back...

allthough he is a class act and in my opinion the best player at the club, i believe he will soon get to old for even him to cut it and instead of leaving a hero, he will leave as somebody who everyone wanted to go.. as he has a bad season.

and nobody can say if he does have a bad season he will still be a hero for what he has done, look at all the stick huckerby is getting for not being as good as he used to be if you want evidence...

[/quote]I agree. There''s only so much his old body can take. He is a true legend. I hope he gets into coaching or management. It''d be great to see him back in the game in some way or another.

Dion''s on Radio 5 live, half time, he''s just stated he''s very happy with his decision to retire at the end of the season, but he had to think long and hard about it.