Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Doncaster - the column they didn't want you to see

Not my work, but great none the less! [:D]

http://www.wrathofthebarclay.co.uk/interactive/board/message.php?pid=731684

Doncaster - the column they didn''t want you to see

Why we won''t be spending wildly, or indeed anything at all

With four wins from our last five games, it is fair to say that the mood around Carrow Road is totally unrecognisable from the gloom prior to Glenn Roeder''s arrival. But don''t worry, I''m going to fuck all that up right now, by making it very clear that we will not be undertaking the ridiculously risky gamble of buying good players, even when they''ve dropped right into our lap because Glenn pulled off a fantastic loan deal. I think we all know that good players are expensive, don''t we? Well, that''s the sort of needless luxury we''re just not in a position to afford.

With the January transfer window shortly due to re-open, it is natural that supporters across the land are filling website bulletin boards with feverish speculation about the multi-million pound players who will shortly be arriving in a blaze of glory at their clubs. But there won''t be any of that nonsense here. Never mind multi-million, I''m not convinced that a multi-thousand expenditure would be justified. In my view it is largely coincidence that our recent run of good form started after some better players were brought into the club. Most of the recent improvement in form on the pitch has come from high morale generated by our OFF the pitch triumphs, such as the new pie range, the redecoration of the restuarants and the excellent community work we have been undertaking in the run up to Christmas. These things make a real difference and it is only a shame that fans are obsessed with transfer dealing instead of appreciating all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes.

So below the promised land of the Premier League, talk of ''transfer war chests'' is a concept altogether alien to many of the cash-strapped Football League clubs up and down the country. As I jokingly said to Delia the other day, the only "war chest" we''ve got is when she puts on her Playtex 24 hour girdle!! "Here''s your P45, Neil, you twat" she merrily responded!! How we laughed!!

Your board has said many times before that while we will continue to be as ambitious as we can to achieve your aim and ours of the board staying in office for ever, what we will not do is to risk the very future of the Club by buying any good players. Good players are very, very expensive, you know.

We continue to seek investment in the Club as long as it''s from people who are going to agree with everything we say, and will continue to do everything we can to ensure that Norwich City is as well funded as possible as long as it doesn''t rock the boat. But in the meantime, we will continue to try and live within our means and so there is NO WAY we will be buying any good players. Martin Taylor wasn''t all that, anyway. We have no wish to join growing ranks of those clubs who have got good players.

There is no reason why promotion cannot happen again, apart from the fact that we aren''t going to buy any good players, and despite the warning notes sounded above, the Board and everyone at the Club remain totally committed to doing everything possible to support Glenn''s plans for the January window unless they involve buying Martin Taylor, or anyone else who''s any good.

On The Ball, City!

Posted By: Old Git on December 13th 2007 at 11:58:49

Here''s the thing.

I don''t think any of us would want City to go out and "spend wildly", as he puts it.

However, I do get the feeling that if I went for tea at Mr. Doncaster''s house, I''d get given Tesco Value biscuits rather than McVitie''s.  And no doubt the old school "tracing paper" loo roll in the bathroom.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Glenn pulled off a fantastic loan deal.

[/quote]Sorry? Who pulled off the load deal? You think the manager sorts the money out?LOL

The only thing that surprises me is that anyone is surprised by Doncasters comments.

We all knew that despite the turnround in form on the pitch, there was unlikely to be a change of direction in the Boardroom.

The euphoria on this board in recent weeks has been well over the top. We have even had predictions of auto promotion now being possible.

The Caster of Doom was always going to crush any hopes of  Yultide largess and goodwill from our Boardroom.

I am not surprised by the column, why should anyone be? It''s the same stuff recycled time after time.

However I do think the board are aware they will have to take a bit more of a gamble (risk) to ensure we don''t succumb to relegation. That means spending to strengthen the squad to give us the best possible chance (god, almost lapsing into Doncaster speak myself!!). lol

They have admitted the mistakes of the past; to my mind that is in itself the sign that they have learnt from the past three or four years. What they do about it is probably not going to be evident immediately. We have a long month ahead.

Will they spend heavily in the window? Probably not, but spend they will. From what I have been told they are going for Taylor and I have to commend them for that, if only for supporting the manager''s wishes. If Taylor wants to come here I am still confident he will be a Norwich City player by the end of January.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]I am not surprised by the column, why should anyone be? It''s the same stuff recycled time after time. However I do think the board are aware they will have to take a bit more of a gamble (risk) to ensure we don''t succumb to relegation. That means spending to strengthen the squad to give us the best possible chance (god, almost lapsing into Doncaster speak myself!!). lol They have admitted the mistakes of the past; to my mind that is in itself the sign that they have learnt from the past three or four years. What they do about it is probably not going to be evident immediately. We have a long month ahead. Will they spend heavily in the window? Probably not, but spend they will. From what I have been told they are going for Taylor and I have to commend them for that, if only for supporting the manager''s wishes. If Taylor wants to come here I am still confident he will be a Norwich City player by the end of January.[/quote]

Gazza, after today''s headlines, have your changed your opinion?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]I am not surprised by the column, why should anyone be? [/quote]

Dude... you don''t honestly think Doncaster actually wrote that...?

I know the post at the top was a spoof one, granted, the actual Happy Christmas missive from our own dear old CE, well, I think I read that one in 2003, 2004 and even before that.

I repeat, if Taylor wants to come here he will. Birmingham either have to accept our lesser offer or get nothing for him, they can''t force him to go to QPR. They will have to pay him to play in the reserves. Ho hum!

[quote user="Prudence no ambition"]I bet Neil gives really lousy christmas presents..........[/quote]

.......nit pickin'' comment.