Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Hartson

There was a chap on canary call after yesterdays debacle stating the Hartson looked like a pub player. This was totally over the top and i just wondered what people thought of his performance.True he looked a bit off the pace but i think his game is just to sit in the middle and let the other striker run the channels. To be fair to him he had more shots/headers on goal in the 70 mins he played than Brown has had all season, and for that matter more shots than the whole team has had in the last few matches. He was unlucky not to get a hat trick to be honest and should have had at least 2 with the first half header and 2nd half turn and shot. A few more games under his belt and a bit more sharpness and he''ll be bangin those chances in. The important thing is he seems to know where the goal is and was actually engineering shots on goal for himself by winning headers on goal and shielding the ball in the box and making room for himself to shoot.Weve not seen this all season from Brown or Cureton and is what weve been lacking. I wanted him and Strihavka to start as its about time Dave got a start, and alongside a targetman too as thats not his role, he looks too technical to be a targetman, and imo needs someone like Hartson beside him.Thought they looked good together yesterday, and but for Drury''s injury which severely upset the whole balance of team, particulary as Duffy messed up the sub/formation, thought they would both score as they looked dangerous.

I too thought he provided a focal point for the team that has been missing - since ashton left rather than iwan.   He lead the line well and was looking to play others - and he was pivotal to our right early start.   

He made me eat my words about his signing,  he can shirley only improve with match practice and somelevel of fitness?

Alas Barclay may now be a man but still thinks a boy. Hartson was appalling after the first fifteen minutes- out of breath; out of ideas; out of movement. Yes he knows where the goal is but no he does not have the ability to find it. He has done well in the past but had his day-he should retire with good grace. The guy on Canary Call was spot on. Is this really the best we can get on loan?  

Its hard to equate the criticism of hartson with the very warm ovation he got when he left the pitch...  [<:o)]

[quote user="The Sweeney"]Alas Barclay may now be a man but still thinks a boy. Hartson was appalling after the first fifteen minutes- out of breath; out of ideas; out of movement. Yes he knows where the goal is but no he does not have the ability to find it. He has done well in the past but had his day-he should retire with good grace. The guy on Canary Call was spot on. Is this really the best we can get on loan?  [/quote]

Sorry to disagree. I thought his class was obvious from the start. He might well have had a couple of goals with a little more match fitness. In the first half we carried more goal threat and had more shots than the rest of the games this season combined. His physical presence also allowed Strihavka a lot of space to run into and it was no coincidence that this was Daves best performance so far.

The legs might go but class goes on forever and by the reception he got when substituted it was obvious that the majority agreed that he had a decent first game.

I hate to admit it but for once i totally agree with what was said on Canary Call and this to me is just another sign to how far we have fallen as a club that we look to Hartson to attempt to get us goals.

OK he had a couple of good chances which on his day he may of put away, but to say he was a profesional player is a disgrace, he is overweight, can not run and had had it after 20 minutes. If you watched the game you would of seen that unless the ball was within 2 yards of him he made no effort to try and win it !!.

Once upon a time we used to try and player football now is just long ball to the fat man !!!.

I thought he did OK for a fat Bastard!  He threatened when he was in the box, and it being a home game we had a fair bit of possession. He showed why he was once a premiership striker.  However he has no mobility anymore and looked knackered after 20 minutes.

I would have thought he will be anonymous in an away fixture.  We shall see however.

If we are relying on him to stay up we are doomed.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Its hard to equate the criticism of hartson with the very warm ovation he got when he left the pitch...  [<:o)][/quote]I was sarcastically cheering him off the pitch... I think.

This must be a joke...eh? Fat, no sorry obese, he could not move around after 5 mins and we will never know how good he is in the air as he could''nt get off the ground. What the hell are you thinking? were you there? ........I think a pub player is not far off the right description for him although if I played for the "Dog and Duck" i might be a bit offended to think I was being compared to that unfit overweight lump of lard, whatever must players like Martin think having trained a nd not given much of a chance and then seeing lardy boy come straight into the team.......you must be as bad a judge of a player as Duffy 

[quote user="The Sweeney"]Alas Barclay may now be a man but still thinks a boy. Hartson was appalling after the first fifteen minutes- out of breath; out of ideas; out of movement. Yes he knows where the goal is but no he does not have the ability to find it. He has done well in the past but had his day-he should retire with good grace. The guy on Canary Call was spot on. Is this really the best we can get on loan?  [/quote]Yep, that''s the sad truth!