Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Would getting relegated actually help us to sort out this mess?

It would kill me to see it happen, but if it did, it would result in a total clean out - big earners gone and those not fully committed to the club gone, very possibly a board restrucuture, and youth players bought to the fore. IF, and it''s a big if, we went down, had that major clear out and restructuring of player contracts and wages etc that comes with it, and we came straight back, there''s no doubt we would come back stronger than we are now. Of course, there''s a strong argument for doing all this now but current player contracts may not allow it.What do people think?

[quote user="a1canary"]It would kill me to see it happen, but if it

did, it would result in a total clean out - big earners gone and those

not fully committed to the club gone, very possibly a board

restrucuture, and youth players bought to the fore. IF, and

it''s a big if, we went down, had that major clear out and restructuring

of player contracts and wages etc that comes with it, and we came

straight back, there''s no doubt we would come back stronger than we are

now. Of course, there''s a strong argument for doing all this now but current player contracts may not allow it.What do people think?[/quote]

No no no no no no no no It would not help, ever and shouldn''t be considered as a bearable option

[quote user="SPat"]

No no no no no no no no It would not help, ever and shouldn''t be considered as a bearable option[/quote]Don''t think we have much of a choice, atm down is the only direction we look like going.

No, Look at Nottingham Forest and Bradford and Swindon,all proud clubs with a tradition and heritage as proud as ours to their fans.

Relegation should never be taken lightly.We are having trouble recruiting and retaining players as it is,imagine how much more difficult it will be down in the mire.

[quote user="C.T "]you make a lot of extremely valid points, take leeds for example they''ve adapted really well and look so much stronger now[/quote]

Southend, Luton, Leeds, Crewex2, Millwall, Brightonx2, Gillingham, Forest, Rotherham, Wallsallx2, Bradford, Wimbledon, Sheffield Wednesday, Grimsby, Barnsley, Stockport, Huddersfield, QPR, Tranmere, Port Vale, Swindon, Bury, Oxford and Bristol City have all been relegated in the last 10 years. Only 7 of those have managed to return to the Championship and many of those through the play offs. Even when Manchester City got relegated they only just got back up through the play offs.

Leeds have made an impressive start and thats all, if they make it they will buck the trend. There are NO positives to be found in relegation!

no no no ! its taken years for us to get attendences of 25,000  relegation would mean several thousand leave maybe never to return .

If Norwich City get relegated this season. I think the whole team would clear out: hucks, cureton, otsemobor, croft and all the rest of the stars, we''d be lucky to keep people like drury and doherty because they are class as well ! With Dublin retiring as well we would be pretty stuffed ! Anyone think different ?

No! It would be an absolute disaster. No guarantee we''d come up for years. Dreaming of being able to attract the likes of the players we have now. This is why Grant had to go, we can''t afford to risk relegation. We are not Leeds. Get real!

[quote user="a1canary"]It would kill me to see it happen, but if it did, it would result in a total clean out - big earners gone and those not fully committed to the club gone, very possibly a board restrucuture, and youth players bought to the fore.

IF, and it''s a big if, we went down, had that major clear out and restructuring of player contracts and wages etc that comes with it, and we came straight back, there''s no doubt we would come back stronger than we are now.

Of course, there''s a strong argument for doing all this now but current player contracts may not allow it.

What do people think?
[/quote]

I may not be your favourite poster....but I go along with this theory. It would be seen as a disaster in the short term but could reignite the grass roots club hidden beneath the phoney gloss we have at present.

Sorry to agree with you....but I reckon it''s needed in order to restructure and move on.

[quote user="Cluck "]

[quote user="a1canary"]It would kill me to see it happen, but if it did, it would result in a total clean out - big earners gone and those not fully committed to the club gone, very possibly a board restrucuture, and youth players bought to the fore. IF, and it''s a big if, we went down, had that major clear out and restructuring of player contracts and wages etc that comes with it, and we came straight back, there''s no doubt we would come back stronger than we are now. Of course, there''s a strong argument for doing all this now but current player contracts may not allow it.What do people think?[/quote]

I may not be your favourite poster....but I go along with this theory. It would be seen as a disaster in the short term but could reignite the grass roots club hidden beneath the phoney gloss we have at present.

Sorry to agree with you....but I reckon it''s needed in order to restructure and move on.

[/quote]No need to apologise cluck. When things are this bad, we have to stick together. I don''t want to see us relegated and i''m not advocating it either, but there is an argument that it could do us some good. As you say, bring the grass roots to the fore, start again, get back to the heart of the game and the club and build from there. IF we could keep 22-25,000 crowds in division 2, we''d be a force, no question. But the Swindon''s Bradford''s Forest''s present the flip side and the dangers.

[quote user="a1canary"]

No need to apologise cluck. When things are this bad, we have to stick together. I don''t want to see us relegated and i''m not advocating it either, but there is an argument that it could do us some good. As you say, bring the grass roots to the fore, start again, get back to the heart of the game and the club and build from there. IF we could keep 22-25,000 crowds in division 2, we''d be a force, no question. But the Swindon''s Bradford''s Forest''s present the flip side and the dangers.

[/quote]

The other big danger is the real risk of going into administration, that would probally see the hotel and other off field investments being sold off to the (not very) highest bidder,given that the main reason we are in the mess we are is the diversion of funds away from the playing staff and playing/coaching infrastructure (scouting and youth development) to finance these projects, relegation could very well mean we end up with the worst of both worlds.

Cooorrrrr blimeyyyyyyy, whats wrong with you poms? We just got rid of the little blighter shouldn''t we be looking ahead, being a bit more positive? If we manage to get the right bloke it''ll be BONZA!!!!!!!!!

It may do but it''s not a safe option, getting out of league 1 might be harder than expected, look at Forest. Just because Leeds are flying doesn''t mean it is easy, we should do everything to stay in this league first. There is no need to panic yet, we have a long way to go.