Sign in to follow this  
Buncey

Player Fitness

It obviously apparent on Saturday that the fitness of the players was superb compared to last season. It was all to obivous last season that our players would run out of gas towards the end of matches and let in goals but this year we look better. If I recall during the promotion year we were by far the fittest side in the division 1 then and it really helped us in the second half of games to turn it around. My question is, is it because Grant has his own players to work with this season or is it the new coaching staff that has helped bring around this change?All for it though as it''s good signs for the future!

Couldn''t agree more we do look super fit and it will help. You just need to look at Southampton’s goal scorer Jones. He look very good in the first half strong and quick but with 20 mins to go in the second half he was shot to pieces. Fitness will help but the skill has to be there too.

I am not sure that we are physically fitter but we are definitely mentally stronger. Saturdays performance showed Grant has put right the things he was complaining about last season. The proof for me was that, to use a CJF saying, Southampton had long since capitulated by the end of the game and we were under no pressure at all during the 4 mins of added time. Looks like Burley has the problems we had last season and maybe Saints fans are in for a rough time!

[quote user="NCFC_Chris"]i doubt you''d be very fit if you hadn''t had a pre-season and were still suffering from a groin strain[/quote] Why did we play him then?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

Grant and Brellier obviously decided he was fit to play, however its impossible to know untill he actually gets onto the pitch

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I am not sure that we are physically fitter but we are definitely mentally stronger. Saturdays performance showed Grant has put right the things he was complaining about last season. The proof for me was that, to use a CJF saying, Southampton had long since capitulated by the end of the game and we were under no pressure at all during the 4 mins of added time. Looks like Burley has the problems we had last season and maybe Saints fans are in for a rough time!

[/quote]

Totally agree Nigel, I was impressed how easily we saw the game out, and noticed how Russell, Otsemobor, Brown and Croft ran themselves into the ground for a full 90 minutes.  Southampton seemed to give up, It could be a long season for Southampton, however I was impressed with them until we scored they were unlucky not to be 2 or 3 up by then - The game turned at that moment and we took full advantage! Which was ace!!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Dead right Nutty.

Last season we would have been hanging on from before the 80 minute mark. It was very noticeable that the longer the game went on, the more in control we looked. Perhaps we have finally learned how play out a game without conceeding late on. It cost us 12 - 15 points last season so it could make a big difference if we have got that fault out of our system.

NCFC_Chris - But you said we should not expect him to be fit due to a groin strain and not playing much during pre-season, if you know that surely PG and Brellier do? And given that we have a better squad than last year with more strength in depth and given we do not want to risk Hucks who has a similar injury why risk Brellier when he clearly was not fit...???