Sign in to follow this  
Dowp End

Davenport ?

What does everyone think ? has been linked with a poss move back--------I have mixed feelings impressed me when he was here-------is he the creative defender we need or off the mark ?Not sure he would fit back in with our new up and coming line up ?

Unless it was on a free or a highly cut priced deal, then no.Has to be questioned why he''s struggled to hold down a first team place since leaving Coventry, particularly when looking at some of the players picked ahead of him at times.Potentially decent, but may have been ruined by 3 years of rubbish.

He was excellent when he was here - very committed, unlike the lacklustre Doherty and Shackell of last season. Remember how much better he was than Fleming? I he''s still like that, I''d love him back. The "three years of rubbish" may have done for him though.

I was at the Watford game when we first got him in, for first half we was naff, second half when he came on the whole structure changed and we was very impressive and I was equally impressed with him. There after I dont think I watched another game live with him still with us, but watched on TV highlights and was still impressed. If I remember rightly, he partnered shackell? 

Dont think he has shone at West Ham as he should have though.

Anyway, I for one would like to see him back.

OTBC!

Wiz,I can''t stand Doherty, but despite this I''m unconvinced by Davenport. Like I say, if he''s cheap then fair enough, but if we''re talking over £750k  for him, I feel the money could be better spent. Would rather see us spend £1.5 million on  Michael Gravgaard  from FC Copenhagen than on Davenport, as we get guaranteed quality and experience then.

[quote]Would rather see us spend £1.5 million on  Michael Gravgaard  from FC

Copenhagen than on Davenport, as we get guaranteed quality and

experience then.[/quote]I''d argue that players exposed to the pace / tempo of English football would be more useful, so I''d take Davenport over Gravgaard.  It seemed to take Helveg half a season to get used to the pace of the game here.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Would rather see us spend £1.5 million on  Michael Gravgaard  from FC Copenhagen than on Davenport, as we get guaranteed quality and experience then.[/quote]

I''d argue that players exposed to the pace / tempo of English football would be more useful, so I''d take Davenport over Gravgaard.  It seemed to take Helveg half a season to get used to the pace of the game here.
[/quote]

A bit harsh on Helveg...  he had only been given 2 appearances at full back half way into the season.

Davenport was better than flem when he was here but worse than either shackell or Doc who out performed him in every game I saw. Over-rated and too expensive.

And dont get me started on the helveg story;   no city manager has ever wasted that much talent for so much of a season than worthy on Helveg;   and all with Eddy for preference;  talk about a compound error... 

DAVENPORT.........Isn''t it a Naval Dockyard?

BECKHAM.........That''s where Del Boy and Rodney lived in ''Only fool''s an'' Horses.

I know loads about everything me![8-|]