Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

I cannot believe Worthy's dig at fans

I think the way that fans vent there anger is counter productive to the players.Worthys anger is more constructive for the team.
Silver Pup-son of fox

Personally i have no problem with the comments he made. You either support City or you don''t, you can''t just choose to cheer the team on when their winning and get sulky when there not. Supporting means supporting through thick and thin, if your only happy to sing when we are winning then you are not supporting! I think at the end of the day NW is just asking everyone to get behind the team no matter what. We are top of the league but as someone else pointed out we are not head and shoulders above everyone else in the league and our support can be the crucial between winning and losing!

Worthy has worked wonders at this Club and is definitely "our King", but he should be having a go at his players in relation to their first half performance last night, not those in the stands. The frustration of those fans was caused by some players'' apparent lack of effort and commitment; if you wear the yellow shirt, you should give 110%. Against the Gills, if a player misplaced a pass or made a mistake, but worked hard to win the ball back, he was cheered and applauded. For example, Hendo may not have had one of his best matches for us, but at least he worked his socks off; Malky was struggling to cope with Agyemang, but he gave his all. However, it is NOT unreasonable for supporters to get wound up at the sight of other players - who are privileged to be paid a lot of money to play footy for a living - losing possession and then strolling around the pitch without the fire in their belly to chase the ball down and try to win it back again. I feel that Damien Francis was the worst culprit for this. As a comparison, we had a poor first half against the Binners, but at least the team worked hard in an effort to make it right; that''s why the boys were cheered off at half time in that match. Worthy''s comments inferred that the fans had no right to show their frustration at a dire and uncommitted first 45 minutes; does this mean that he felt the first half performance - against 10 men, don''t forget - was acceptable? I don''t think so! I recall NW having a real go at the supporters a couple of years ago, only to eat humble pie and apologise big time - is history repeating itself?

This is what one might call a ruddy difficult one...

I have never agreed with the booing of the team or individual players - even at the height of the Chase out campaign I applauded the players then vented my frustration AFTER the games - but, but, but....at times in the first half last night, it was impossible not to let the odd moan slip out. A couple of occassions even saw the ''f'' word slip out. It isn''t intended to upset the players or offend anyone around me, just circumstances you know!

We are all way too nervous at the moment. The players, the management, the fans. We are so damn close to actually WINNING something (it will be twenty years ago next Summer that last happened!) that we are all getting panicky and stressed about it. I''m snapping at work colleagues, snarling at my girlfriend, drinking every night and scanning teletext every two minutes, all out of sheer bloody nerves at how close this is.

If we feel like that, think how it must be to Hendo, having just misplaced a five yard pass.
I don''t care who you are, what talent you have, or how much you get paid, that tension is going to get to you.

Somehow, the likes of Flecky and David Nielson always made me feel better! Even when playing in a team fighting relegation, their raised fists and battle cries in front of the Barclay always made me happier and made me feel as if we could win the Champions League.

I think Svensson, Holt and Hucks are natural successors in that role. When we see the players ''give it some'' we respond in kind - its always been that way.

I think the supporters have a massive role to play this season - Carrow Rd this season is as intimidating as Ive ever known it to be and would certainly make me think twice about getting too loud if I were a visiting supporter - and its important we keep that up. Never a problem against the scum or West Brom, but it has to be just as passionate for the likes of Walsall and Stoke.

Think of 59, Think of Goss in Munich...and then think how you felt after the penalty shoot out at Cardiff...then....

SING

okay A1, here''s your one person on the board who is not nervous right now, cos i know we will go up, have know it since october and am still 100% convinced of it

the nerves thing, i am not so sure, we have been playing at home like this for ages, we couldn''t blame the first 45 mins of games in september on nerves, could we, we always seem to let teams come out and have a go at us, whether it be gillingham or a team challenging for promotion, it is just how we play, i have lost count of the times when we have had "a game of two halves" and always with a poor first half and a better second

i don''t boo the players, never have done, but i was frustrated at the way they went about the game on tuesday - we have to prove why we are top (and hopefully not just because we are the best of a bad lot) the goals when they came (thank god they did) just served to prove we can do it

i don''t see why we can''t play flowing football more often, if they are capable of it, then for god''s sake do it, why resort to hit and hope (there was no need on tuesday, gillingham posed no threats whatsoever), we have to take this league and win it, which we will, but do it in style

we can do this, never fear, and don''t worry all of you, we still have a month or two to go, what are you all going to be like come May? Chill out and believe eh?

If you want to ease the nerves Nige give your half time team talk before the first half, it is no surprise the fans get edgy when the team performs like that 1st half, which is now about the 5th or 6th poor first half performance in a row.

Two points, Peter.

5th or 6th poor FIRST HALF. But we still only lost one game. Not great, but results count.

It was our THIRTY SIXTH game. Give the boys a break. They''ve put in a lot of brave and fantastic performances this season.

Year in year out we go through a bad patch, every team does. But this year we are not losing games during this indifferent spell. I think we owe them more to expect perfection for 90mins every game, and part of being a fan is accepting it''s not always going to be easy whoever you play.

Gazzathegreat, we cant "play flowing football more often" if teams come to Carrow Rd with the express purpose of not letting us.

If City had Zidane,Beckham etc. playing for us of course we should be expected to cruise past a limited outfit such as Gillingham, but the fact is that we are really not that much better than them. In their previous game the Gills drew 0-0 away to Preston (the same result we achieved at Deepdale), Preston were in good form,had a good home record, and the Gills had an injury crises. Reports of the game talked about the Gills frustrating their opponents, defending in numbers, breaking up Prestons passing game etc. Sound familiar? All the pointers were there before the game as to how Gillingham would approach the game at CR.

City were not `rubbish` in the first half as some people have said-it was simply a predictably scrappy game against a tight, defensive side with City trying to stamp their authority on the game. We started playing flowing football when the Gills were reduced to 10 men and Mulryne came on, who made use of the extra space with intelligent passes. Had they not had a player sent off Gillingham would have continued defending+scrapping, City would have continued desperately trying to win the battles and break them down, and the more ignorant element at Carrow Rd would have continued to moan and jeer, making a difficult situation even worse........

Mr Carrow Your post was spot on in all regards, Especially the hard work bit which has been, thank the Lord, the main redeeming factor behind our present success. Must say that I was pleased to see that our tallented Mr Mulryne pulled his finger out a bit more and gave us a bit more of what he is capable of.

You''re right gazza, we have been playing games of two halves most of the season. Milwall at home sticks out for me. Started like a house on fire, went 3 up with some clinical moves and finishing, and then let them come on to us and soaked up what they had to throw at us. A few more performances like that would be far kinder on the nerves!
Guess it''s not as simple as that tho!
Did you really think in October that we were set to go up automatically or just finish top 6?

yeah is that 7 norwich goals in a row now all down the River End? Has there been a "hex" put on the Barclay goal?? Mr Wiz sir??