Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Delia and chase....so wheres the progress?

Simple question you would of thought ...wouldnt you? but in my eyes ive yet to see any. Please feel free to correct me in any way you feel Delias improved the standard of football at CR. Like i said i cant really think of any progress on the pitch and personally thats why i go to football games. Cheers.

Well we struggled for many years in this league under delia and never really looked like getting anywhere near promotion, but the first half of worthington''s reign must be considered a success where the standard of the football did drastically improve. We got into a play off final and then finally were champions our season in the top flight was a bit hit & miss but we still beat man utd and gave it a good fight in the end.

The problem is rather than building on four years of success under worthington we have alowed the club to slip backwards again almost to the point where delia took over. How much credit/blame delia should take for any of the above is debatable. I don''t want to come accross as defending the board as i am deeply worried about the way the club is being run but i do think there are also other factors that explain our currrent posistion such as the increasing financial gap between the leagues and the unacceptably poor performances of players & managers.

A lot will depend on the next couple of years if we keep playing like we have, that four year period will be considered a blip in an otherwise poor reign. On the other hand if things start to pick up and we start winning then these last two yaers will be the blip in an otherwise succesful reign.

An interestingly worded question, and a big improvement on your last effort.

If you''re asking whether the football on show at Carrow Road last season was as entertaining as some of the stuff played during the Chase era, then the answer is clearly no. But who''s fault is that? For me the answer lies somewhere between the players, Nigel Worthington, Peter Grant and the board (not just Delia, try not to make it personal).

Mistakes have been made, no doubt about that, but where you and I differ is that I believe that the board may have learned from their previous mistakes and might just turn this round. I note that Luke Varney turned us down to sign for Charlton, which indicates that we must have matched Charlton''s bid of £2million plus add ons. To me this indicates that the board are backing Peter Grant in the transfer market, precisely what you are demanding.

Interesting arthur.

the days of chase we were in the top flight ande probably spent the equivelent of what say bolton blackburn do now in terms of inflation.selling club but buying well with bargins like crook, fleck ets

1 top flight  promotion and season during the days of the current board we are made to feel we are a tiny club who should just be happy to be here.only bargain was darren huckerby.

refusing to pay for steve howard from luton kind of reminded me of when chase refused permision to sign dean windass.

[quote user="Millo"]

refusing to pay for steve howard from luton kind of reminded me of when chase refused permision to sign dean windass.

[/quote]

Except if chase was still in charge when we sold ashton instead of buying earnshaw as a replacement we''d have signed an up and coming lower league player on the cheap and then still not signed howard. And huckerby would have been sold when we got relegated or more likely never signed in the first place.

Say hello to the angels

You make a fair point but even under chase when we sold players like fleck, etc they were always replaced with players like robins etc so he did replace them the same way we are at the moment. 7.5m for ashton and replaced with 3m for earnshaw. Although both transfers depend on extras.

I do agree that huckerby may have been sold.

As has been said before when people have tried to compare the two eras, the key thing you are missing is context.  Chase and the current board operate in different eras, with different financial constraints.  The Premiership is rapidly becoming an international / global brand and league, with very few English / British players good enough, and very few English owners rich enough to compete.  There is a lot more money swilling around the Premiership, and there has been ever since we dropped out of it just at the wrong time.  That said, we do need to be able to compete now, and in bringing the Turners and their money into the club, the board are at least trying to make the team competitive.As for the reason why you have received sarcastic comments, you seem to be the latest in a long line of people who attempt to use this board to artficially create protest.  Others have tried, it doesn''t work.  If you want to share your opinions, that''s great, but when your first post declares you as an official protest leader, you''re going to get laughed at, because people tend to make their own minds up regardless.

Hmmm Mr BLAHBLAHBLAH! Laughed at are we? Is that why we have 5 times the support now than we originally had for the derby protests? Is that why theres over 40 supporters in lakenham alone? 30 odd in bowthorpe? Shall i continue? I think you musst open your eyes my friend and realise we are not going anywhere!

[quote]Is that why theres over 40 supporters in lakenham alone? 30 odd in bowthorpe?[/quote]Well done, keep it up, and you''ll get an entire row in one of the stands.[quote]I think you musst open your eyes my friend and realise we are not going anywhere![/quote]Believe me when I say that I realise you are not going anywhere.  Especially in late May.

If you go about saying people have been hoodwinked they are unlikely to

be open to your ideas, as you ar casting aspersions about their

intelligence.  This can be seen as personally insulting and it

shouldn''t be suprising that people react by ridiculing you.

btw. woo - you can name less than 90 people out of 25,000.  I

infer then that you can muster about 150-200 people, with 5 times the

30 odd people you had ready on derby day. This works out at less than

one percent of the crowd. Hardly very impressive.

You may not be going anywhere - but neither will you be getting

anywhere either, well untill you can get 3000 - 4000 committed

protestors together with 8000-9000 casual (in ground) protestors.

God, 70 people and they are from Lakenham and Bowthorpe, both areas legendary for being formidable characters. Based on 23000 supporters at a game on a bad day that''s almost a third of one percent of the people there. Makes you shiver doesn''t it?

But wasnt Delia the one who said Hamilton was the one who she wanted all along and im sure she only took in the fans anger AFTER Mr worthington slagged us supporters off and insulted our knowledge of all things football. Considering she''s invested her money into the club her knowledge of football is questionable after allowing so many rubbish managers to sign so many rubbish  players.

Please be kind enough to explain whats wrong with Lakenham and bowthorpe? As stated theses are just a couple of areas where i know friends who are avid city supporters. Believe me i know this from regular customers of my business that the feeling is mutual in various parts of the county. Im not on this site to make petty arguement it really is becoming a problem with many supporters who just feel that city are going stale even backwards.Cheers.

You all need to remember that whether you like it or not, Norwich City are perceived as a little team - fact.The support is envied - that''s true, but the little team thinking also comes from within.The guy who just signed for Charlton even said it himself.The board have been cautious (maybe rightly so) but on the field the team at best has gone sideways since promotion.It amazes me that Gunn and Doncaster''s photos are on the back pages of the local paper more than the players!!! - doesn''t that tell you something about what they see as the priorities?Maybe, it''s time to have just one season with a gamble (or two) and really go for it, there must be loads of players who''ll come to NCFC with the promise of promoton bonuses ringing in their ears?I''m fed up hearing about ''the premiership facilities'' at Colney - West Ham have a tip of a training ground but are in the top flight (ok, only just) and yet attract top players!!!!Come on you yellows, get in the top flight, get that 2nd tier on the main stand and let''s get 30,000 each week at Carrow Road. ....you have to buy a ticket to win a raffle x

Ok arthur, what''s your big plan then ?  Ransack the offices of NCFC until the board walk the plank, and then get Chase reinstated as chairman ?Like it or not, NCFC is a business.  You don''t get to pick who is in charge, the board do by selling their shares.  The people that do get to pick who is in charge want to bring in very rich people.  Football is not a poor mans game any more.Sorry.

You ask the question. Such as it is. Then disagree with nearly every answer. You post was therefore a statement not a question. From your opinion. You have nothing to offer as an alternative to that which you deride.

What is your point get ride of Delia? bring back chase? I agree, surprisingly with blahx3 the comparison between Chase and Delia is difficult with the dramatic change in the way the game is financed. Under Chase we did enjoy our finest hour but it may well be because of that, that we now suffer. The ownership of the club should only be up for discussion when and if somebody comes in with an offer that is better than that which Delia can offer. Until such time she''s our girl and she''s here to stay

simple reply...yes i am a season ticket holder and yes i have renewed and will do no matter who is in charge. I follow the badge not the board/players unless they prove to me they are worty of wearing the badge. Cheers

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]simple reply...yes i am a season ticket holder and yes i have renewed and will do no matter who is in charge. I follow the badge not the board/players unless they prove to me they are worty of wearing the badge. Cheers[/quote]

if you have renewed then you deserve exactly what you will get next season... yet again another season of c**p football and abject failure!!!

The time for demo''s was prior to the victory at Luton... it will now be early October before another chance is likely to present itself...

The question is how many will be up for a serious demo if/when we are still failing miserably then???

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]simple reply...yes i am a season ticket holder and yes i have renewed and will do no matter who is in charge. I follow the badge not the board/players unless they prove to me they are worty of wearing the badge. Cheers[/quote]

you must be happy then.would you go back to a shop or cinema if it was dirty ,bad service and prices to high i dont think so .you are just another person trying to make problems on this board.give it a rest.

Aaaaaah finally, Smudger returns.Arthur, meet Smudger.  He''s more cynical about the current board than you are, it is possible apparently, and he will not be happy until the board comes to his house with some of Delias home-made scones, make him a nice cup of tea, massage his feet in one-of-them footspa things  while dropping rose petals all around him and beg for his forgiveness.  Smudger has been posting anti-board messages here for some months now, although sometimes it does feel like decades, and is probably the main reason why your anti-board stance is given the cold shoulder.  The Chase / Smith arguments have already been had many times by 95% of people who post here, and most people seem to be pretty comfortable with where they stand on the issue, and are not for budging.Not to mention that one of the key concerns of most fans appears to have been addressed, new money into the club.  If we fail in the transfer market over the summer, and then start badly next season, then peoples attitudes will change.  They won''t change as the result of your posts.

king of latvia-

Clearly you dont read my posts too well. I FOLLOW THE BADGE NOT THE BOARD! Is that clear enough for you?  So you are telling me that we get 25,000 happy supporters week in week out? No, they go every week because they love the club like me. Comparing loving a club to going to the cinema is ludicrous. Do people fall in love with the odeon? King of latvia, your points are laughable.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Aaaaaah finally, Smudger returns.

Arthur, meet Smudger.  He''s more cynical about the current board than you are, it is possible apparently, and he will not be happy until the board comes to his house with some of Delias home-made scones, make him a nice cup of tea, massage his feet in one-of-them footspa things  while dropping rose petals all around him and beg for his forgiveness.  Smudger has been posting anti-board messages here for some months now, although sometimes it does feel like decades, and is probably the main reason why your anti-board stance is given the cold shoulder.  The Chase / Smith arguments have already been had many times by 95% of people who post here, and most people seem to be pretty comfortable with where they stand on the issue, and are not for budging.

Not to mention that one of the key concerns of most fans appears to have been addressed, new money into the club.  If we fail in the transfer market over the summer, and then start badly next season, then peoples attitudes will change.  They won''t change as the result of your posts.
[/quote]

eek... the thought of Deliliar massaging my smelly feet with her cheese scones had made me feel decidedly queasy BLAH.

Maybe it is time for me to take another holiday???  [+o(]

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

You ask the question. Such as it is. Then disagree with nearly every answer. You post was therefore a statement not a question. From your opinion. You have nothing to offer as an alternative to that which you deride.

What is your point get ride of Delia? bring back chase? I agree, surprisingly with blahx3 the comparison between Chase and Delia is difficult with the dramatic change in the way the game is financed. Under Chase we did enjoy our finest hour but it may well be because of that, that we now suffer. The ownership of the club should only be up for discussion when and if somebody comes in with an offer that is better than that which Delia can offer. Until such time she''s our girl and she''s here to stay

[/quote]

Oh i get it i have to change my opinion and agree with everyone who disagrees with me to keep the peace. Cheers for that.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Aaaaaah finally, Smudger returns.

[/quote]

I notice how him and cluck dissapear at the same time.. if they come back at the same time then it confirms what im thinking....

Never see them in the same room together.

jas :)

[quote]Never see them in the same room together.[/quote]If they are the same mythical creature, then the poor thing must have callouses on its talons / claws, with the sheer amount of scorn that it has poured onto this board.

Smudger, just a quick hint - your ''hilarious'' nickname for Delia would be so much catchier if you just added an ''r'' to her name. It would imply the same thing but just repeat the words to yourself - ie ''Deliar'' slips off the tongue so much more easily than ''Deliliar''.  [:D] 

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]Smudger, just a quick hint - your ''hilarious'' nickname for Delia would be so much catchier if you just added an ''r'' to her name. It would imply the same thing but just repeat the words to yourself - ie ''Deliar'' slips off the tongue so much more easily than ''Deliliar''.  [:D] [/quote]

Nothing Smudgy can do about Mac. He''s got to go through its (or maybe even his) creatortortor...

[quote user="king of latvia"]

you must be happy then.would you go back to a shop or cinema if it was dirty ,bad service and prices to high i dont think so .you are just another person trying to make problems on this board.give it a rest.

[/quote]

No you dont go back to a shop if you dont like it but a football club is different pal!

I remember a season we lost 4-0 at home to wimbledon, 6-2 to forest and ended up losing most of the home games that year.

Did all those fans that season never return to carrow road?

Oh let me guess, the ones that did were happy we lost!