Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Pitch rebuild - rash decision?

I find it quite extraordinary that this has been sanctioned before we have secured promotion. If it''s not arrogance it''s ill advised at the very least and stinks of the ground before squad attitude that did for the binners, stoke, reading, derby and us in the Chase era.
Unless it really is on the verge of failing all together the decision makes me a little uneasy. Anyone else feel like that?

i think it is likely that it would have happened anyway.the decision of an infill relies on promotion though

Yes, Chase was a very naughty man. On principle we should have handed that land back this summer.

Of course the infrastrucure should be kept tothe highest standard

A quick glance south will show you what years of neglect can cause

This is a long term investment that is better done now whilst we can control it rather than have it forced upon us.

We want a pitch that befits a premiership club

Even if we were to miss out on promotion the pitch is still in desperate need of rebuilding. We have all seen what a poor state it is in this season. Presumably if games are called off cos the pitch is unplayable that will cost us money. So do it this summer and save some money in the long run. Anyway its not arrogant to think we will be promoted. Be positive. WE ARE GOING UP. OTBC.

a1 - its certainly not arrogant or ill advised.

This story has been around for a while and its only today that the scheme has been approved.

The way I read it is that be that we are in Div 1 or Prem next season, the pitch needs to be relaid as we are in danger of having matches postponed due to poor drainage etc.

Yes its £650,000 - but the last pitch lasted for approx 10-12 years so factoring in that its not so bad.

The opportunity is also being taken to move the pitch 1m away from the City Stand to allow future redevelopment of that stand.

Where the club is being prudent - is that they are saying that the decison on the corner infil will not be taken until we know what division we are in next season, and beyond that there are no plans for further stand development - but moving the pitch that vital 1 metre keep the options open should demand and finances allow that additional seating to be put in.

We are a million miles away from the Chase era now - and I don''t believe for one minute that the board will take us down the binner route.

Give the board your support - they are actually doing a good job. We are a very well run club.

I hardly think it''s a ground before squad attitude. It''s a simple fact that the current pitch and drainage needs to be replaced. The pitch is the most important thing at a football club. If you don''t have a good pitch you can''t play football. The current pitch is getting really bobbly and and patchy. And with the drainage not doing it''s job you will start to get alot of call-offs. I think it''s a good decision and definately not a "rash" one. And with them taking advantage of digging the pitch up and moving it towards the new stand, it shows that they are looking to the future with the prospect of putting another tier on the city stand. I think the club are now ironing a few problems out i.e photographers sitting in the way, pitch matainence. As Delia said on boxing day "it''s onwards and upwards" OTBC

NMTD - I agree. I think we need to trust the board on this one. I can''t imagine it would be done unless absolutely necessary. Everyone, no more so than the board, know the state of the clubs finances.

Incidentally, didn''t the club sell off squares of turf last time to raise some cash? Anyone know how much this raised or did I dream it? Im sure it wasn''t that long ago?

Is it just me or could £650,000 be spent on something more important like squad strengthening! You could buy brand new turf for every game for the next 5 years at that price! Yes there was a waterlogging problem earlier this year, but that was after the biggest downpour for ages! I seem to remember us deciding to buy a mill some years ago, instead of players!!! Yes to the pitch, but in the distant future, what does everyone reckon?

Phil, surely for a football club the pitch is one of the most important things it has?? I know it sounds a lot of money but we''re not re-turfing someone''s front lawn! Worthy will have money to spend but this is a vital act the club have to do.

yes i except your point, but our pitch isn''t that bad! I mean we''ve still got one of the best home records in the league!Its a hell of a lot better than most 1st divison clubs! we could also stop the reserves playing on it, that would help its life. I do except we need to do somthing, but once we are an established prem club. Considering our accounts, surely if a ''business'' is suffering annual losses, costs need to be cut.... £650,000 on a pitch is a bit extravengent!
Plus ipswich have got a great pitch, say no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ip**** may have a great pitch, but they''ve got a c**p team (at the back, any way).

Re-laying our pitch has got nothing to do with that lot, and it''s nothing to do with the relevant performance of any other Div 1 team. If you read what has been said, it''s not just a matter of re-laying the turf - the drains are begining to fail, and the waterlogging in some parts will only get worse if its not dealt with. The pitch currently stays wet in some areas, and is dry and crumbling in others, so clearly it''s got to be done. The reserves play so few games these days it''s not a significant factor - they play some of them at Colney, anyway. £650,000 for something which will last another 10 or 12 years is nothing, whether we''re in the Premiership or not (and we WILL BE). Seems like another good investment from our prudent board - Gordon Brown would be proud of them!

We all agreed the South stand was out of date and needed replacing. I don''t see how replacing the pitch and under soil heating system is any different. It''s just long-term maintenance.

Imagine next season we play a televised game against one of the big clubs. There is heavy rainfall and the match gets abandoned due to a flooded pitch. Wouldn''t make us look too clever would it? But I think it is the possibility of losing revenue from such a scenario that''s the main factor involved here. Better to invest now and avoid that kind of situation ever occuring surely?

Whatever supposed pitch our third world neighbours have got they won''t have come next season after all the fetes, jamborees and other desperate fundraising schemes his Lordship has come up with.

Apparently the pitch will be trashed and so they will lay a new one - currently being grown by their groundsman !

I kid you not, probably be carted over from his allotment on a wheelbarrow.

So please don''t ever let us get into that state of blinkered missmanagement.

Even more so given the terminal state of Wimbledon and the almost imminent collapse of Leeds. Both long term supporters of that belief that any money not spent on players salaries or fees is wasted money.

If we want to be the best lets have the best.

As always, some good points and fair arguments. It just rang a few too many alarm bells for me. Would have preferred to see the corner infill built first and the extra revenue from that and a year in the prem (please god) used for the pitch rebuild in summer 05.

...and not to mention of course the 650k used on the squad for out first year (please god) in the prem