Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

The Maturing Of David Bentley

Having watched David Bentley''s play in the second half of last season for Blackburn I felt sure he was going to emerge as a star. I''ve seen him a number of times this season and, in fact, he has developed even further. His creative ability, change in pace ( drawing fouls ), his crossing and set piece abilities, and a bit more bite to his tackling suggests he should be on the edge of a full England call-up. I am watching him play at the moment in the England U21 game against Italy. He is clearly the architect of the England team and other players look for him constantly. Also a beautiful goal from the free kick a la Beckham style. 

On second thoughts, with Lampard letting the best chance against Israel get stuck in his feet and, given his failure to perform internationally for some time, I say give Mr. Bentley a chance now.  

Could''nt agree more Lampard is a fantastic club player but has been an absolute donkey for England since Euro 2004 why he continues to get in the team amazes me we should give Bentley a go on the flanks and play Gerrard and Hargreaves in centre midfield , Couldn''t be any worse than we currently are !

Should be in the senior squad, he''s a more natural footballer than Lampard and he''s got more to his game than Downing.

But this is Steve McClaren who is completely and utterly clueless.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Having watched David Bentley''s play in the second half of last season for Blackburn I felt sure he was going to emerge as a star. I''ve seen him a number of times this season and, in fact, he has developed even further. His creative ability, change in pace ( drawing fouls ), his crossing and set piece abilities, and a bit more bite to his tackling suggests he should be on the edge of a full England call-up. I am watching him play at the moment in the England U21 game against Italy. He is clearly the architect of the England team and other players look for him constantly. Also a beautiful goal from the free kick a la Beckham style. [/quote]

I agree YC. I was at Wembley yesterday and in my opinion he was definitely England''s best player.

Bentley reminds me very much of David Beckham, especially his free kicks, and it will be a surprise if he doesn''t make the senior team. One thing that holds him back and is most certainly not Beckham like is that he''s a little too cocky. It really doesn''t help his cause by claiming that he should already be in the first team squad. Hopefully in time he''ll learn a little humility. I''m rather hoping Blackburn can beat Chelsea so that he''ll be back on this magnificent stage for the FA Cup Final in May.

Incidentally for me the Man of the Match has to be the Italian No.9,Giampolo Pazzini. Not only did he score the first competitive goal at the new stadium, after just 25 seconds, but also enters the history books as a hat-trick scorer. He and their No.10, Rosina, looked very good together and I''ll be surprised if they don''t both enjoy long careers at the very top.

Athough it was only a friendly it was good to see Pazzini receive a warm round of applause from the crowd when substituted some ten minutes from the end of the match.

Finally I must say Wembley is a superb new stadium...........I really hope I get to see City play there in the not too distant future.

I agree YC.  He was very creative for us when he was here and we can only imagine what may have happened if Worthington had not dropped him for a training ground prank and his injury towards the end of our Premiership.  He always looked our best player "on the ball".

He clearly has all the equipment to be a top, top player and I don''t see his arrogance as a problem as he seems more than willing to back it up.  He is very good with the ball, he can run with it, cross and has a great shot.  Most importantly as the title suggests he has matured as a footballer and often retains the ball rather than conceding it easily as he did with City.  He no longer looks for a killer pass all the time or shoots from distance too often, more often than not he keeps it simple and picks his moment.

He would be in my squad for England and it''s sad that others players constantly get picked no matter how they are playing.  Bentley now has 2 full seasons and is getting better and better, no doubt if he was still at Arsenal and made 10 sub appearances he would have a full cap by now!

Any one who shows some creativity deserves a chance at the mo;  All our midfielder are effort over ability,  and as woeful as Gerrard and Lampard have been they do remain significantly better than the likes of Barton, Carrick or Nolan,  three of the front runners usually mentioned.

For me Bentley deserves a chance,  he should mature like Joe Cole has and give us something different.   for me his main challenge is that Lennon does give us some pizzazz so he faces stiff competition wide right,  which is where he operates for Blackburn,  as he did for us.

Bentley can spot a killer pass, but as SC has already said he choice is far better;  he is learning quickly,  as he did with us when the number of speculative shots early on with us was ludicrous,  but had become a team player critical in that end of season burst that so nearly saved us. 

I entirely agree, YC.Think back to his time here, and the Man Utd game in particular... the first half was about as normally abject as those around the same time, and it looked like we''d never get a point... then Worthy swapped Graaaaaaam Stuuurt and brought on David Bentley... Ashton and McKenzie may have got the goals, but it''s my opinion that Bentley orchestrated that win!Fast forward a few years and everyone is raving about him and his ability to really attack the opposition, in a way that England could only dream of right now... well, they needn''t dream, they just need a manager with the balls to make tough choices, rather than calling up players the media thinks should be in (i.e. Nugent).If Bentley finishes the season as strong as he is going now and fails to win an England call-up, it will be the death knell on McLarens England career for me... mind, that''s not saying much!

Drop Lampard, he is an arrogant buffoon with more money than sense and just cannot cut it at international level.

Put Gerrard it centre midfield where he can do more damage and stick Bentley on the right hand side.

Sadly none of these will happen cos the team is run by a manager way out of his depth and a few big headed players who think they are Gods gift to football.