Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

A Word of Support for Paul McVeigh

So then Paul being vilified for not playing well yesterday and being a bit tubby. But give the guy a chance I thought last year he was are best forward player and rightly cam 3rd in the player of the season poll - this year he''s barely played apart from a few fleeting appearances on the right of midfield instead of Croft - he can''t play in the reserves because he''s too close to the first team to be risked/ there are no games - is it any wonder he looks out of shape - when was the last time he played 90 minutes? I know he''s a pro but everyone needs to play proper games to gain Match Fitness

Plus I don''t really understand Grant decison making if Earnshaw was struggling last Saturday and he knew he was going to replace him with WLy why did''nt WLy get half an hour against Tamworth to improve his Match Fitness - instead we got Thorne Hughes and Robinson! Now he''s been thrown in the deep end and people are saying he''s a disgrace etc. etc. for not being Earnshaw. 

its a bloody good point, mcveigh should have PLAYED the reserve game in the week anyway as he has not been getting ANY games.

In fairness to Grant I think Ernies injury came late on so he was a late change to the squad.  Serves Grant right for not lettting him get some time on the pitch recently and its not surprise he ws not ''match ready''.

He is quite fat these days however.

Grant.  Not the players, Grant.  And Worthington before him.  Idiots both of them.  Despite my current feelings, I believe that the players are BETTER THAN THIS.  They just need a positive, experienced manager to build their confidence and get the tactics right.

WLY is a waster, but one with talent that COULD be utilised by a decent manager.

The board are responsible for recruiting a rookie on top money, they are the villians more than anyone.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

So then Paul being vilified for not playing well yesterday and being a bit tubby. But give the guy a chance I thought last year he was are best forward player and rightly cam 3rd in the player of the season poll - this year he''s barely played apart from a few fleeting appearances on the right of midfield instead of Croft - he can''t play in the reserves because he''s too close to the first team to be risked/ there are no games - is it any wonder he looks out of shape - when was the last time he played 90 minutes? I know he''s a pro but everyone needs to play proper games to gain Match Fitness

Plus I don''t really understand Grant decison making if Earnshaw was struggling last Saturday and he knew he was going to replace him with WLy why did''nt WLy get half an hour against Tamworth to improve his Match Fitness - instead we got Thorne Hughes and Robinson! Now he''s been thrown in the deep end and people are saying he''s a disgrace etc. etc. for not being Earnshaw. 

[/quote]

sorry but P Mcveigh has been as Norwich too long.

As far as I''m conserned he is another deadwood player. His passion and skill level at present don''t match his ability that he has shown before like against MAN UTD at old trafford when he scored our only goal.

He needs a fresh start at another club. His days at Norwich are numbered. The Crowd no moan at every mistake he makes and because of his height and that we seem to want to lob the ball up to him he rarely wins the ball.

Taxi for Mcveigh...

(....and Flemming, Thorne, Eagle, Jarvis brothers, Docerty, Dury, Gallager etc ...

[New Blood, new team, new challenge!!!! Come on, -10 goal difference is telling me NEW Defense!]

mcveigh has not been good enough since grant came in. grant has said he is not happy with the players he had.Then signs a new player and puts him on the bench, whilst electing to play mcveigh who has hardly kicked a ball.NO excuses for this type of mistake or arrogance.SACK GRANT NOW

Got to disagree with you there Ulf... he''s not ''match fit'', but thats more about sharpness rather than losing weight.  IF he''s training and eating properly, there is no way that he should be overweight, even if he doesn''t play a game all season.  Take Croft for example... injured for a few weeks so not playing any games, but manages to lose weight in that time and come back trimmer.

It just feels like he''s been here too long, knows his career has peaked and he''s never going to reach the potential he showed earlier in his career, so is ''happy'' to just see out his contract with a minimum of effort...

[quote user="koimatsuba"]Taxi for Mcveigh...

(....and Flemming, Thorne, Eagle, Jarvis brothers, Docerty, Dury, Gallager etc ...[/quote]

Minor point, but what has Rossi Jarvis done to deserve that?

I spent a lot of the game watching McVeigh, as I’ve never

been a huge fan of his and was shocked to see he started the game up front when

you look at the fact we''ve just sent Hendo away on loan (when he''s pretty much

been begging to get a chance up front) we''ve just signed a new striker

(although when he came on i think it proved he is back up for Dublin, not a

partner for him) and we have a very promising youngster called Chris Martin

(who I’ve seen a number of times for the reserves and has looked very good) who

Grant has been raving about all week.

Make no mistake about it, McVeigh was shocking yesterday.

When I saw he was starting, i was watching him hoping to be proved wrong, but

that performance was unacceptable (he wasn’t the only one) and he should never

be allowed to wear the Norwich City Shirt again. He touched his hair more than

he touched the ball, and this wasn’t down to him getting no supply, it was down

to the fact he just wasn’t interested.

I know he hasn’t been involved for a number of games, but for a professional

footballer not to be able to control a ball when passed to him from 3 yards, is

a joke.

Although I have never been a fan of him, I used to appreciate

he always used to try, as most fans will agree, even if a player isn’t your favorite

you like to see them put a good amount of effort in for the team you love.

He doesn’t even do this now, he looks overweight, uninterested

and like I said before, should never be allowed to wear the Green and Yellow

shirt again.

Personally I when it comes to McVeigh there are two possible schools of thought you could see his career :

Paul would say he was the key player behind our rise under Worthington and was instrumentally in our Promotion however once we signed Huckerby, Svensson and Leon he hasn''t been able to play his preferred positions up front or on the left this led to him playing inconsistently and being dropped and put on the transfer list. When Worthy had no choice he was recalled and played once more in his preferred positions he then almost saved our season leading us to 5 straight wins only for Ashton to sold and the season to collapse, the thanks he got for this was the signing of Earnshaw someone he could''nt play with and the return to being shunted from position to position and more poor performances.

His critics might say that he is a very talented player who turns it on when he wants namely when his contract is up for renewal and his decline in form at the end of the promotion campaign / premiership season was a direct result of signing a new and improved contract. Likewise last season he was back to his best until the club exercised another one year option giving him security was more.

It''s probably a bit of both - but for me as I like players with skill and vision he''s utter magic and has more pure talent in his little toe than the nearly all of the rest of the squad. For example he came on against Sheff Wed at home and within seconds trapped a ball end and knocked an unbelievable out to Hucks with the outside of his foot. It was a cameo yes but it showed to me he still has ideas about the game far more developed than anyone else in the team that day.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="koimatsuba"]Taxi for Mcveigh...

(....and Flemming, Thorne, Eagle, Jarvis brothers, Docerty, Dury, Gallager etc ...[/quote]

[/quote]

if he cant even get on the bench when we are playing lame duck players like Hughes, Robbo and Etuhu and the like I guess he must just be crap.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="koimatsuba"]Taxi for Mcveigh...

[/quote]

if he cant even get on the bench when we are playing lame duck players like Hughes, Robbo and Etuhu and the like I guess he must just be crap.

[/quote]He''s 18 years old, and he must be earning next to nothing. Grant is (finally!) threatening wholesale changes - maybe the penny has dropped that the likes of Rossi, Spillane, Eagle, Martin etc. might actually be able to do a job for us? When you get to the Ryan Jarvis/Henderson stage (21/22 years old), maybe it''s time to move them on, but Rossi has got to be worth at least another year to develop.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

Personally I when it comes to McVeigh there are two possible schools of thought you could see his career :

Paul would say he was the key player behind our rise under Worthington and was instrumentally in our Promotion however once we signed Huckerby, Svensson and Leon he hasn''t been able to play his preferred positions up front or on the left this led to him playing inconsistently and being dropped and put on the transfer list. When Worthy had no choice he was recalled and played once more in his preferred positions he then almost saved our season leading us to 5 straight wins only for Ashton to sold and the season to collapse, the thanks he got for this was the signing of Earnshaw someone he could''nt play with and the return to being shunted from position to position and more poor performances.

His critics might say that he is a very talented player who turns it on when he wants namely when his contract is up for renewal and his decline in form at the end of the promotion campaign / premiership season was a direct result of signing a new and improved contract. Likewise last season he was back to his best until the club exercised another one year option giving him security was more.

It''s probably a bit of both - but for me as I like players with skill and vision he''s utter magic and has more pure talent in his little toe than the nearly all of the rest of the squad. For example he came on against Sheff Wed at home and within seconds trapped a ball end and knocked an unbelievable out to Hucks with the outside of his foot. It was a cameo yes but it showed to me he still has ideas about the game far more developed than anyone else in the team that day.

[/quote]That''s easily the fairest appraisal I''ve read about McVeigh...

how things change, eh?

it wasn''t long ago that paul mcveigh was the fans'' favourite. people on here were using the fact that worthy didn''t play him as evidence of worthy''s incompetence. now the same people are using the fact that grant DOES play him as evidence of grant''s incompetence.

i seem to remember some games about this time last year when mcveigh seemed to be the only player on the pitch who wanted to be there. he''s also served us very well in the past whenever he''s had a run. the fact that he has had barely any games this season says a lot, and i think this is the main reason for his poor performance.

mcveigh often looks as though he lacks desire because sometimes he doesnt do much in a game. he''s not a battler in the mould of holt or hughes, and with his size he never will be, so if it turns out to be that sort of game, he ends up looking very lightweight and passionless. but this isn''t his fault.

i''d actually still like to see mcveigh getting a testimonial here in four years. he''s more than just a good squad player...if he plays regularly.

I think yesterday typified what has happened to McVeigh. In the first half, he was mostly anonymous. When he did get the ball, he was miscontrolling it, overhitting his passes, and looking a shadow of the player he can be. Yet he still nearly set up a goal for Etuhu.  McVeigh eventually had a brief spell in the second half when he looked good, and seemed to be linking the play up well. Then Plymouth scored, and he disappeared once again.He has talent, we know that. But if Grant can''t get him to perform consistently throughout a game, it would be best for Paul to move on. We loved him during the play-off final season, and he had valuable bit-part contributions in following seasons. But it''s time to shape up, or ship out.

By Paul Mcveigh''s standards yesterday''s performance was undeniably poor.

However I thought he played better than his other recent performances and maybe looked a little fitter.

Don''t get me wrong, he still doesn''t look fit but looked sharper.

This guy has real talent but was dreadfully mismanaged by Worthington and it appears he is suffering from a real lack of confidence.

As for his mistakes, every time he tried to create an opening but failed to make the pass he got grief from the crowd. Earnshaw makes the same mistakes every game but nobodys knocking him!

If Grant can get Mcveigh to play with some of his old confidence as well as improving his fitness then NCFC have a quality player. Having the crowd on his back from 3.00 aint gonna help!

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="koimatsuba"]Taxi for Mcveigh...

[/quote]

In reply ...

I''m sorry but there are a lot of players at the club who IMO are 1. Not good enough      2. Too old      3. Past their best    4. Will always be in the reserves.  etc etc etc ...

Rossi Jarvis and Ryan Jarvis are not bad players, But when played in the first team at championship level are not good enough. They won''y be good enough at prem level ethier. Ok we haven''t seen much of them, but will we ever? Ryan jarvis has had 3 starts since 2003! Thats not good enough. Why has he had 3 starts? because he is not good enough.

Cheers

What he was missing yesterday was match sharpness,  he was part of our best footballing move (etuhus spurned chance) due to good touch and good movement and made the best attacking movements seen for a long while  -  but he wasnt reading the game.  COmbine that with an awful touch (best summaried by a throw in in the first half which went out for a goal kick as he tried to control with his thigh) and you get the shocking performance we saw yesterday.

What was most telling though was that this was a chance for him to stake a claim and like Jarvis before him he really didnt seem to want it;  however we can do a Francis/ Fulham on this, as he wasnt alone and none of them seemed too bothered on Sat.