Sign in to follow this  
oh huckerby

EARNIE! CAN WE AFFORD TO KEEP HIM, CAN WE AFFORD TO SELL HIM?

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]if we got silly money like £5m and invested in 3 or 4 quality players i''d be happy[/quote]

Agreed - Earnie is a very good striker, he is not faultless and anyone who thinks we will fail without him is mistaken.  As long as the sale is made early enough for the money to be used (and that it is used), imo 3-4 c£1.5m players could well prove more useful to us, particularly given the smallness our squad.  

Lets get serious, do you really think we can keep a player who can score 20 plus goals a season,is there any team in this division who can without a serious chance of promotion.I am sure the lad will say all the right things to the papers about being happy here.But is his agent going to say the same thing when Portsmouth or newcastle etc come calling.Anyway on the bright side think of how many peter thornes we can buy with the money LOL

Keep him.

I agree that if we got an offer of £5-6 million this money could be used to strengthen the squad by bringing in 4 or 5 players, but, nobody else looks like scoring and without Earnie I;m worried that relegation looks a certainty.

The piece below is what I had written yesterday on the Transfer Talk forum..............

Thought I''d just post exactly what ''Arry has said in the Pompey Evening News as I am getting a bit fed up with people taking as the truth what they read on dodgy websites or in the tabloids. This is taken from a longer interview in which he also rules out a £12M move for Jermaine Defoe as Pompey have never spent that sort of money before and says his phone does not stop ringing during the transfer window "with people offering you useless players".

"In the Championship, David Nugent is a good player. But they want £5M for him. I like Norwich''s Robert Earnshaw. He''s done well. He''s got a good record and scores goals. He''s got something. But I''ve not thought about him - and he''s not going to be cheap, is he ?"

They are his actual words so feel free to make what you wish of them.

Mark .Y.

The point I want to make now is that £5M is CHEAP for Robert Earnshaw. People keep talking about £5M as a good price to get for him. It is not, he is a goalscorer and they are the most coveted players in football. He has always scored goals at whatever level he has played, he is the top scorer in the league directly below the Prem this season and he is playing in an extremely poor team. Preston want at least £5M for David Nugent, he looks a good player but he does not have the track record that Earnie has and neither has he scored anywhere near as many goals this season. I get fed up listening to people saying Earnie is not quite good enough for the Prem, he does not do enough work outside the box, he misses chances etc etc. - he scores GOALS, of course he misses chances, all players do this - especially those that consistently get themselves into the right positions. Earnie is plenty good enough for the Prem, he has proven that by his goalscoring ratio at international level. He is one of a few players (at an affordable cost to a Prem club) who could genuinely make the difference between a team staying up and being relegated (in the same way, I believe, that had we got Ashton at the start of our Prem season we would have stayed up). So, Earnie is worth at least £6.5M of any Prem clubs money and we should not consider selling him for less.

Rant over.

Mark .Y.

If we sold him, where would the goals come from?

I know, I know everyone will probably say get another striker but Earnie is a proven goalscorer and that''s what would have to be found ...... and quick!

I say keep him

Keep him and buy Eastwood and Pearson...then we would suddenly have a completely different team.

Can you imagine Earnie and Eastwood in the same team??? How great would that be.