Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Drury - the transfer list beckons!

Adam Drury has Declined to the point he is now a joke!

2 of the goals were his fault today. the first came from his side, a throw in which he watched..... and watched..... and then finally reacted by bottling out of a challenge completely for Legwinski to score.

the second, Chadwick chases the Ipswich Winger back 60 yards. it just needs Drury to come across  he didnt until too late, when he did it left Chadwick totally exposed, Drury then turns his back on play and scampers back to the edge of the 6 yard box allowing the winger with all the time in the world to pick out Danny Hyanes.

Hopeless passes, missed headers and a lack of tackling led to Adam being criticised by quite a few around me. im starting to think its not the fact he''s captain its because he has been trained in the attacking aspect of his game.... He is no longer a left back, instead a left sided midfielder... he is now better going forwards than he is defending.. and thats whats costing us game after game after Game.

Adam drury hasnt been a god player for this football club sine we got promoted, he looked lost at times in the premiership and is now getting skinned weekly... I WAS a huge fan of Drury but i feel the tiem has come for the club to part company with him....

The only way i can see the situation possibly changing is by getting another left back in, therefore pressurising Drury for his position.. he has become too comfortable and knows the place is his no matter what. its this attitude which is leading us to concede so many down his side....

Barry Fry once called Adam "the best left Back outside the premiership"... and when has anyone ever taken Fry seriously?

Drury is now fast becoming the weakest link in the side and also a target of the boo boys. Peter Grant needs to wield the Axe.. Teach adam that his place in the team is a priveledge not a right... or get rid!

Passenger Adam your stop is arriving!

jas :)

I can''t agree. Drury put in a fair amount of tackles and by comparing him to Chadwick you are comapring him to the player who put in most effort today. Fine, Drury should too, but there are others who you should pick on first

The first goal was created from a lucky deflection to put the two young Ipswich players in the box - fine there was hesitation but I''d rather he didnt dive in while in the box - before some slick passing and Shackell wrong footing himself. The second Colin could and should have got to the ball before Haynes

I disagree Jas - where was the cover for him? How often can a full back cover two attacking players in 90 mins????   Defence is a team game - and the back four today got absolutely no assistance in either physically defending nor the ball being kept in our own possession.  Why do 2 Tahn central midfield so dominate a city midfield with 3 players?   And how many tackles did that three make?  And how often did they retain possession? And how many chances did they make.  Simply not good enough.

Hux is not totally at fault on this one - why should we waste our best attacking talent by making him defend?   Hux should not go further back than the half way line - to do so threatens us and not the opponents.

A left sided midfielder, along with a central midfield is our priority - until we improve the whole midfield we will remain a defencive catastrophe waiting to happen.

Thats nearly as funny as trying to watch Hughes and Robinson pass the ball. (You have to laugh or you just cry)

Drury was the best of a poor bunch at the back today. He as per usual won his fair share of tackles, goes forward and his distribution is better than anyone else''s. He has been Mr consistency and mr dependable and if everyone showed the same sort of spirit as him week in week out then we would be alot higher up the league. Ok, he didnt have his best game today but it wasnt awful and you cant blame him.

2 of the goals his fault? I dont think so

The first was a nighhtmare full stop. Shackell was made to look stupid and no one closed him down.

The second was a free header thanks to Colin and Dohertys marking (or lack of it)

Thethird came from the Norwich right wher eonce again Colin, Doherty and the abject midfield didnt bother to close anyone down.

Transfer List NO, Premiership i wouldnt be suprised.

Our weakness today was we allowed oppostion players to run with the ball and back off them all the time. Drury does this as do the other defenders but equally where are/were our ball winning midfielders? Dicko, Robinson and Hughes just dont seem to win the ball enough and lack any kind of creativity too. The weakness lies in the balance of the team...its all wrong!

When we got promoted before we had Holt making up for the Hucks being allowed to roam..we need somone who would do the same job! maybe Hughes could but the midfield balance has to be right.

Incidentally the one midfielder who did get back and tackle today was Chadwick. He looked a useful addition, let''s hope Grant can find some more like him!

Disagree Matt.

Drury was exposed week in, week out in the premiership and ended up getting dropped if i remember Rightly!

I just cant see him being the player he was... his distribution isnt great, I just cant agree there.

He is far too light weight and bottles challenge after challenge. I can remember him making 1 or 2 good tackles today granted, But he still leaks goals!

He''s 28 (nearly) now and at a time when he should be hitting his peak. I dont want to single him out or be seen as making it look like im making him a scapegoat for losing today. Its just how i have seen his game diminish.

Only my opinion i guess, Maybe one or 2 will agree.

jas :)

I can''t help feeling that the recent arrival of Drury''s child and subsequent sleepless nights is having an effect. There is no doubt that Drury is a good player but maybe the weakness is in not having anyone to compete with him for the left back berth or to step into the team when Adam is off form rather than the player himself?

I jus think that in a good team with support from midfielders Drury with his tackling etc could be a good player in the premiership. He is too often exposed, left 1 on1 so that he either has to jump in and risk being beaten or sit off and hope he can force the player wide or get support.

I am just trying to emphasize that the innitial point that drury is should be transfer listed is a total joke and that he is actually one of our better players.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

I jus think that in a good team with support from midfielders Drury with his tackling etc could be a good player in the premiership. He is too often exposed, left 1 on1 so that he either has to jump in and risk being beaten or sit off and hope he can force the player wide or get support.

I am just trying to emphasize that the innitial point that drury is should be transfer listed is a total joke and that he is actually one of our better players.

[/quote] I agree. Anyway when we need players in so many other positions it seems madness to transfer list a player who can easily hold his own at this level. That would leave us needing two left backs in the transfer window. The best move is to bring in someone who can challenge Drury for the spot adding cover and serious competition!

spot on ZLF. we should play to Hucks strengths and not expect him to be jack of all trades. if he tracks back who do we have upfield when we get out of defence or do we expect him to be omnipresnt?

we had hughes, robinson & etuhu to protect the back-four and if they could pass to our colleague it might help a bit. the first two are complete sh1te most weeks and etuhu goes awol for 50% each game

I didn''t see Earnie tracking back either......

Oh and where was Gallagher when we were attacking.....

Im gonna have to agree with jas, while correct drury does put in a few good tackles, he is a poor marker and has bad tendancy to back off into the box when most defenders would push a player out wide. I imagine he could be much better but it is about time we had someone else in to properly challenge for his position. Drury is ok but we could do better I think, either he picks up his game or we get someone else in.

being isolated with hux in front of him does him no favours at all. he shouldnt be sold but needs someone to put pressure on him, which sadly there isnt anyone at the club to do that

Drury''s biggest problems in my opinion are :

1) A lack of support from Hucks, although this is the fault of the managers who play our best attacker in a position where he needs to track back and not the fault of Hucks himself.

2) The fact that almost every half decent winger in the Championship can now hit the striker in the box given half a yard. Look at Drury''s performances in our promotion season, time and time again he would force the right winger into the corner and would only go to ground and make a tackle as a last resort. It''s the way all young full backs are taught to defend and whilst it may not be as impressive looking as a sliding tackle, it''s was equally effective. But the game moves on and, probably due to the hours and hours of trying to emulate Beckham, players crossing has improved significantly. Drury (or the Norwich coaches?) doesn''t seem to have reacted to this and is spending too much time covering round the back of his central defenders which doesn''t allow him to close down the winger quickly enough to make a tackle.

In summary, I think we need to find a formation where Hucks can have a genuine free role where he doesn''t need to track back and Drury needs to spend less time covering for our centre backs and more time marking the right winger.