Sign in to follow this  
anothatracksuitmanager

who would you have in goal on saturday

Gallacher did well well last night, ashdown looked promising on saturday, which one of the would you have on saturday and who do you think is the long term keeper option, gallacher, ashdown, young lewis or do we need someone new. It seems to me this is one of the few spots where we can''t just pinpoint one guy and say it''s his position.

I get the feeling that Grant may feel some obligation to play Ashdown - Redknapp clearly loaned him out to play not to sit on the bench. That would be a shame for Gallacher as in his last two matches he''s been faultless.Haven''t really seen enough of Ashdown yet to really know how good (or otherwise) he is.

Rudolph is 100% correct. It''s gotta be Ashdown and we need him or someone like him permanently.

Gallacher has rightly earnt praise for his attitude and the saves he made last night but he frustrated me bigtime at times during the game. First half he couldn''t wait to hoof it up field to ''Little Ern'' and then later in the game when we had Dublin and Thorne up front he seemed to hang on to the ball for ever and a day.

Has to be Gallacher, did excellently last night and it would be unjust not to play him on merit. He deserves it.

I''m more concerned in who we''re going to play up front.

I would imagine the likely option of few is to field Thorne as lone striker, ''though I''d much prefer a 4-4-2 with Dublin starting alongside Huckerby and Eagle playing left-wing with Etuhu & Robinson or Hughes in midfield.

Safri, should warm the bench for at least the next couple of fixtures.

Yeah and Ashdown in goal.

[quote user="shyster"]

I''m more concerned in who we''re going to play up front.

I would imagine the likely option of few is to field Thorne as lone striker, ''though I''d much prefer a 4-4-2 with Dublin starting alongside Huckerby and Eagle playing left-wing with Etuhu & Robinson or Hughes in midfield.

Safri, should warm the bench for at least the next couple of fixtures.

Yeah and Ashdown in goal.

[/quote]

What about the leagues top scorer?

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Got to play Ashdown again. Gallagher is no long term goalie he''s got No.2 written all over him and Ashdown needs to be persuaded to come here permanently.[/quote]

I agree.........Gallacher is not strong enough for me and Ashdown would be my choice........but only if there is a plan for a permanent move for him.

Personally I would not like us to buy a new #1 keeper, with Joe Lewis in the wings and ready to be the #1 from next year - I have heard from people who have been to the reserve he is really good I don''t see the point spending much money on Ashdown.I''d rather stick with Galacher who is the same height as Ashdown (although thinner) and use the money to buy a quality midfielder.As the moment the backs are pretty much sorted, Doc and Shax have the potential to be reliable - both have MoM awards this season I think, Drury is also quality, Colin is improving - alot of that is to do with Croft being in front of him. Midfield is the issue, Croft/Hux are dead certs, I would start Hughes and have him play a Holt type role in that he runs around like a headless chicken putting pressure on the other side, when his knackered sub him for Robbo and tell him to do the same thing. Holty was a major reason we won the league because he ran so much it allowed others to be more attacking. Start with Etuhu as well as an attacking midfield. Sell Safri and look for a new playmaker, Safs get injured to much for my liking - he hasn''t done well this year. McVeigh and L-J  can go as well.Picking up a new decent CM playmaker will be pricey so we''d need to save on spending on keepers, with Lewis in goal from next year and Gallacher on the bench we''d be sorted. Bringing in another keeper now puts Lewis back down the list and we need him to start getting the games in.Starting line upGalColin Doc Shax DruryCroft Robbo Jarvis Etuhu HuxEarnieSubs:Ashdown - well he''s hereFlem - with him we cover RB and CB and if Colin goes LB we get cover thereDion - cover for CB/CF + is a steady hand at the endEagle - WLY has blown itSafs - CM cover

Looking at our league record, we''ve scored plenty of goals, and conceeded far too many (so far). So PG obviously sees his first job to tighten us up at the back. Bringing in Ashdown has intensified the competition for the No1 jersey and I think has played a part in us getting 3 clean sheets on the trot.

I''d play Ashdown on Saturday as we need to get a clear idea of where he''s at. Lewis is still too young but with bringing Ashdown in, he could be loaned out for experience.

It seems over the last few years we''ve been the team blooding other teams'' youngsters. I think we really need to switch this and get other sides to blood ours - then we will get the benefit (hopefully)