Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

Is it Grant or is it the Media?

I''m not sure if Grant is saying too much or just if the media are picking up more of it now because Peter Grants the "bright new thing". I imagine Worthy said stuff and people just didn''t care, now whatever grant says goes into the media system cause it''s what people want to here

So it''s not Grant who''s talking too much, it''s the media publishing everything they pick up? Any Thoughts?

I guess after 6 years of a man handing out humbugs to kids, the kids get bored.

When a new man comes a long with an entire sweet shop, the kids flock! [<:o)]

Good point Tom.

Maybe it''s just a complete change of approach by Grant compared with the almost secretive attitude of Worthington. I think NW resented the intrusion of the press, whereas PG sees it as a tool to make his mark.

I''m happy with it all so far......although these are very early days.

The spin has already started in the article quoting Peter Grant''s view of the significant challenge we''re up against in facing Stoke. They''re physical, they''re powerful and bruising but they also have some Premiership quality players that can be match winners. For Pete''s sake they are in 18th place having won 3 games out of 13.

I spent a while saying it doesn''t matter what Nigel says in public, it''s what goes on behind closed doors that is important.

So I guess I should say the same thing now! It''s not a popularity (or publicity) contest, if Grant can take us to the level that Worthy couldn''t then whatever he says is good enough for me.

[quote user="barclayendboy"] Who cares i like what i hear (Peter Grants green and yellow army)[/quote]

Don''t get me wrong Barclayendboy, I think it''s good that Grant says exactly what he wants, Tis very refreshing!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]The spin has already started in the article quoting Peter Grant''s view of the significant challenge we''re up against in facing Stoke. They''re physical, they''re powerful and bruising but they also have some Premiership quality players that can be match winners. For Pete''s sake they are in 18th place having won 3 games out of 13.[/quote]But they are physical, powerful and bruising, and they certainly have Prem quality players, particularly Lee Hendrie.How is this "spin"?To answer your question, Tom, I believe the media are simply having a field day and are reporting every word Grant says at the minute.  I''m half expecting to see a GRANT ORDERS COD AND CHIPS headline, as Archant seem to be following him.  Then the same story will appear under a different headline a few hours later, worded slightly different..... [;)]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"] I''m half expecting to see a GRANT ORDERS COD AND CHIPS headline, as Archant seem to be following him.  Then the same story will appear under a different headline a few hours later, worded slightly different..... [;)]
[/quote]

''City Boss Prefers The Right Plaice''

...I''ll get me coat...

My dad made me laugh yesterday - I asked him what he thought of our new manager and he replied ''he has too much yap''

spin (DECEIVING)

noun {S or U} INFORMAL

when an idea or situation is expressed or described in a clever way that makes it seem better than it really is, especially in politics:

- They have tried to put a positive spin on the situation.

- This report puts a different spin on the issue.

I am not posting this to try to be clever just looked it up for my own benefit because it''s a relatively new expression for me.

I am now totally confused!!!

Is "They''re physical, they''re powerful and bruising but they also have some Premiership quality players that can be match winners" spin?

Or is "For Pete''s sake they are in 18th place having won 3 games out of 13" spin?

My guess is they are both "spin" but both are accurate and  neither is particularly decieving.

EM asked: "How is this "spin"?

The spin part is defining Stoke as a significant challenge. Barcelona would be a significant challenge. I must confess I liked Nigel Worthington''s approach much better in this respect. Nigel would generally say" it''s not about them, it''s what we do that''s important". Then, of course, we''d generally fail to do it. So I suppose I''m in favour of Nigel''s pre-match rhetoric, but with follow through on performance.

Barcelona would certainly be a significant challenge to Norwich City right now YankeeCanary!However, Stoke City would also be a significant physical challenge to Barcelona with the amount of ''brick outhouses'' they have to call on.

I re-read my post about spin and it seemed a bit condescending towards you which I didn''t intend it to be.

Our new manager certainly talks a lot which gives the press and others plenty of opportunity to put "spin" on his quoutes. I prefered Worthy''s pre-match quotes too, it was his post-match comments that caused him so much grief.