Sign in to follow this  
The Duke of Norfolk

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE YOU LOT!....

Stop these stupid calls for former players to become our next manager.

We have had Bowen and Crook, then Iwan, and now Mike Phelan. Well how about Dary Sutch, terrific servant to the club, he was here for years, still lives locally as well i beleive and is NCFC through and through.....

No seriously stop these nostalgic calls for former players to return as our new management team. Our situation is desperate if you hadn''t noticed and we need an experienced proven manager who can get results with minimum finances..

Curbs won''t come so it is either Steve Tilson or Mike Newell i''m afraid.

my first pick is bowen - if crooky tags along, then even better.other than that, i always enjoy watching luton play - they are hungry & pass well - so i''d be happy if newell showed up at carra rd.failing that, hunter could dazzell us with going on a good winning run, and playing with style.   he''s in the driving seat probably - an away win at a resurgent QPR wouldn''t do him any harm whatsoever.

[quote user="The Duke of Norfolk"]

Stop these stupid calls for former players to become our next manager.

We have had Bowen and Crook, then Iwan, and now Mike Phelan. Well how about Dary Sutch, terrific servant to the club, he was here for years, still lives locally as well i beleive and is NCFC through and through.....

No seriously stop these nostalgic calls for former players to return as our new management team. Our situation is desperate if you hadn''t noticed and we need an experienced proven manager who can get results with minimum finances..

Curbs won''t come so it is either Steve Tilson or Mike Newell i''m afraid.

[/quote]

It''s nice to be nostalgic and I must admit that a Bowen/Crook management team did appeal at first but I just don''t see that they are right for City at the moment.  I don''t think that with the parachute payments finishing come May that we can afford to be "blooding" a manager no matter how nice it would be.  Right now we need a manager with some experience of promotion, not someone taking their first steps in management.

I''d take Tilson - Saved Southend from relegation, then back to back promotions, he might even bring Eastwood with him.  He is a manager moving upwards and that''s what we need in my opinion.

Good call Duke - I will just say though that at least a couple of them have had experience - ie, Crook, Bowen

Why this obsession of yours Duke for an .........''experienced, proven'' manager?

Following your logic then football would wither and die in 10 or 20 years as no-one would ever be promoted to manager as they had not done the job before!! Why stop there, no youngster would ever get a fisrt team chance as they ...''have no experience''!

Someone (Aberdeen from memory) had the vision and bottle to give Fergie his first management job, the rest is history.

Of course Bowen and Crook would be a gamble, fact is that EVERY time in life that someone is promoted to a different job involves an element of risk but I for one hope that just once the Board don''t simply tick off a CV list and ''him with the most points wins'' (which is what you are saying effectively) but they have the guts and belief in theselves to think outside the box.  

BUT, I do 100% agree with your first choce of MIKE NEWELL. Problem is of course that as Steve Gedge said in the EDP Monday the Board have acted 5 months too late. Had Worthy been shipped out in May, maybe just maybe they could have sweet talked Newell here. Now a thick 4 year contract will be the straw that breaks that particular back.

End of the day I think we will both be disappointed. City will, once again, bottle it and promote from within and Hunter will get it. Some management experience he has, eh? At 54 (I think) if he was ever going to crack it as manager he would have done so a long time ago.

I think Bowen would be a good manager personally! Tilson or Newell wouldn''t be bad either - why do you say unfortunately? I doubt Curbishley will come to the club but let''s just wait and see!

I humbly disagree.........a feel for the club is a big plus and Bowen has the experience necessary for this kind of level. Rioch, Hamilton and Worthington were ''outsiders''.......and look what happened.

Agreed though that he would need to be up for it......and having the fans behind him from the start would certainly help his cause.

We aren''t ambitious enough to pull a serious quality manager out of his present job......horses for courses as they say.

[quote user="just-cluckin"]

I humbly disagree.........a feel for the club is a big plus and Bowen has the experience necessary for this kind of level. Rioch, Hamilton and Worthington were ''outsiders''.......and look what happened.

Agreed though that he would need to be up for it......and having the fans behind him from the start would certainly help his cause.

We aren''t ambitious enough to pull a serious quality manager out of his present job......horses for courses as they say.

[/quote]

I would like to think that we are ambitious enough to attract a decent manager even if that means pulling one who is presently employed out of their current job.

Lets us not forget that the boards image has taken a battering in the last few months in many fans eyes. What better way to restore the faith of supporters by showing ambition and bringing in a good un?

Look at it the other way, the board are not stupid enough ( i hope anyway) to go for an easy, cheap option that appears to lack ambition on the surface of it. They know that this will not restore the feel good factor and will lead to further criticism of themselves, something that they will want to avoid.

Agreed that the board does need to pull a rabbit out of the hat.......loets hope we are not disappointed.

If Delia ever reads these posts.........she certainly knows who we don''t want eh?

I don''t advocate Mark Bowen because he is an ex-player, rather because he is a proven coach at more than one Club. Check out his record and you will se that Clubs improve when he coaches there, and tend to decline when he leaves. Therfore it is reasonable to conclude that he has a positive impact - and right now that is exactly what we want!

[quote user="just-cluckin"]

[/quote]

Yes thats right - getting promoted was a real disaster!!

My personal belief is that the first priority is to get someone in with a proven managerial track record at this and a higher level. If that person happens to have been at the club before then I agree its a bonus.

We have less than a season to turn it round and get promoted otherwise its bye bye Earnie, Drury, etc and we''ll all be lamenting in 10 years time about missed opportunities.

I don''t think we can afford to take a chance one someone who has never managed before or has only managed in the footballing third world just because he happens to be an ec player.