Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Frys Evil Twin

Player ratings for the Torquay game anyone?

EN says:

Gallacher 6, Cave-Brown 7, Doherty 7, Fleming 7, Drury 7, Hughes 6, Robinson 7, Etuhu 7, Henderson 6, McKenzie 8, Ryan Jarvis 7, Spillane 7

.....so Hooze was average - again - against league 2 opposition.  I really hope Safs, Dicko and Robbo don''t get injured.  I just couldn''t take it!

You have conveniently missed out Gallacher and Henderson with the same scores there.

But yes, surely they should all get 10/10 against such an inferior opposition. What are they, a Ryman team?

[quote user="3canaries"].....so Hooze was average - again - against league 2 opposition.  I really hope Safs, Dicko and Robbo don''t get injured.  I just couldn''t take it![/quote]

He was playing out of position on the left.  He did alright, but the lack of cover down the left side is a more pressing problem than the striker situation imo.  Henderson took all our corners (pretty well as it happens).  It''s injuries to Drury and Hucks that we really need to worry about.

Gallacher 6 Not really tested, very competent

Cave-Brown 6  Looked good going forward, sorry to see him injured so early

Doherty 8  A few hoofed clearances but just looked so solid

Fleming 7  Some excellent interceptions 

Drury 6  An OK performance, distribution poor at times

Hughes 6  Out of position on left, gave his all, final ball too often poor 

Robinson 7  Solid, a few wayward passes but looked good in partnership with Dickson 

Etuhu 7  Strong, to my mind disappeared in the middle of the game, but began and ended well

Henderson 7  Let down by some of his crosses but did well on the whole

McKenzie 7  First Half 6, Second Half 8.  Came to life in front of the away fans - no coincidence I suspect.

Ryan Jarvis 6  He seems all touch and no end product at the mo.  Maybe a bit harsh but his goal attempts were rare and poor.

Spillane 6  Looked OK but gave us less going forward than Cave Brown

On the whole I thought it was a very good performance albeit against a terrible Torquay team, but you have to play whoever you are up against, and I was pleased to see the passing game persisting despite the mass changes in the team.

Man of the Match - the Norwich fans.  676 at Torquay midweek knowing it would be a weakened team is just incredible (the Programme seller told me they were expecting 100).  The fans weren''t particularly noisy but so what - we were there.

August 64

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

You have conveniently missed out Gallacher and Henderson with the same scores there.

But yes, surely they should all get 10/10 against such an inferior opposition. What are they, a Ryman team?

[/quote]

There certainly was what you could call a "gulf in class".

But our fans chanting "You''re even worse than Ipswich" was a bit harsh lol.

Agree with most of your ratings August 64, and although we did just what we needed to against poor opposition, I was left with a feeling that our cover really is paper-thin. Cave-Brown''s distribution was poor (very sorry to see him crocked ''though), Henderson cut inside too much in the first half (although had a better second half), Hughes couldn''t outpace a lampost and Ryan Jarvis was anonymous.

I think the better second half performance was down to us playing a more conventional 4-4-2, getting it wide and then getting crosses in. Perhaps this is because the reserves play this way - but if the first team is going to play 4-3-3 and 4-5-1, shouldn''t the reserves play that way as well, to make it easier when one of them has to come in as cover?

[quote user="mystic megson"]

[quote user="3canaries"].....so Hooze was average - again - against league 2 opposition.  I really hope Safs, Dicko and Robbo don''t get injured.  I just couldn''t take it![/quote]

He was playing out of position on the left.  He did alright, but the lack of cover down the left side is a more pressing problem than the striker situation imo.  Henderson took all our corners (pretty well as it happens).  It''s injuries to Drury and Hucks that we really need to worry about.

[/quote]

Surely MCVeigh is cover for Hucks as attacking left side midfield - he has played there enough times. (Not that Hucks is replacable in any way - if he got a long term injury - well, I can''t bear to think about it...)

Jarvis did not look the part at all. Lacks that extra edge and seemed puffed by it all. The Doc got away with more pushing than you would see on a Tokyo subway, Fleming looked class and the rest were well up for it. Time and time again they were quickest to the ball and closing Torquay down. Etuhu was never going to lose out on a one to one either. Very strong and happy to use it, but could (very occasionally) see signs of last seasons lack of interest.

Only real threat from Torquay came from the scuffy yob that ran onto the pitch towards the City fans, made to drop his trousers, thought better of it and ambled back off the pitch to be bundled away.   

I didnt see the game, but Jarvis (as with Henderson) seriously seem to need a proper run out sometime, preferably on loan.  There comes a time when players have to get games, and Hendo/Jarvis have barely played in what 3 seasons that they have been around now.

Surely we could send them on loan to another side - Cambridge perhaps they are desperate for a striker - even if we are still paying their wages.