Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Excellent Signing by Worthy

I could be talking about Lee Croft, but actually I''m talking about Paul Gallagher!

With Greeno''s exit seeming imminent all the discussion about how we should spend the money is revolving around outfield players - not a replacement keeper. Most of us hardly saw anything of Gallagher in his first two years here, but so far he done very well in the games that he has played. Picking him up on a free transfer is beginning to look like a very tidy piece of business.

He looks a little bad at commanding his box, but he''s a good shot stopper, as we saw at the end of last game, made a few great saves towards the end of last season too.

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]reminds me a bit of andy marshall,[/quote]Oh God... Please no... Not again!I remember Worthington making some kind of speech when Marshall left us for the binners. "Never ever again..." or was that Churchill??

Gallacher should be OK - played well at the end of last season but looking more average now - he isnt a patch on greeno. Gallacher is in the right place at the right time and is good enough not to look to sign another keeper.

I wouldn''t quite put this in the excellent signing just yet, remember if Green hadn''t got injured towards the end of last season he wouldn''t have played and he would have left on a free just like Ward.  Just to echo everyone else though in the games I''ve seen he''s looked solid with shots but doesn''t seem to show authority on crosses but maybe knowing he''s number one for a while without looking over his shoulder will give him a bit more confidence and make the place his own.

Or it''ll make him more complacent...

Needs to learn how to command his area, come for and catch crosses, and also to throw the ball out rather than seeing how high he can kick it to the opposition defender who''s a foot taller than Earnshaw.

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]

Or it''ll make him more complacent...

Needs to learn how to command his area, come for and catch crosses, and also to throw the ball out rather than seeing how high he can kick it to the opposition defender who''s a foot taller than Earnshaw.

[/quote]

Bit harsh Pete. Did his rottweiler cock its leg up your new jeans?

Don''t get me wrong Kathy, I think he''s a decent keeper and was surprised that we''d managed to get the then-Scotland keeper as backup to Green when we signed him. Just needs to improve on certain areas in his game to make him a great keeper. And I wouldn''t let his giant bear of a dog get anywhere near my new jeans.

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]

and also to throw the ball out rather than seeing how high he can kick it to the opposition defender who''s a foot taller than Earnshaw.

[/quote]

the goalkeeper with the P**s poor 1 dimensional, "hoof" has just been sold to West Ham Pete.

Gallagher does pass it short quite a bit to a nearby defender so we can build and pass it from the back...Unlike Robert " every time i get the ball i try and score at the other end with a big punt" Green

jas :)

gallagher looks confident and is a great shot-stopper - was impressed by his flying save to deny a last gasp and well hit luton shot right at the death of the game. as for his failure to command the area - agree he doesn''t look quite so sure, but he''s not the biggest goalkeeper - anyway, my biggest gripe with greeno was exactly over the same isue now facing gallagher, he would stay rooted to his line far too often and rely upon his central defenders to clear - we lost many goals in the prem that way, greeno only started to come out and command after the bolton match, but unconvincingly in my view. i still reckon that in the play-off final, from a ball hit high and from just inside our half, if greeno had come out and punched rather than stayed on his line, we''d have gone up that year!