Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

The Future for Worthy Out?

I have always wanted worthy out based on his poor management decisions and subsequent poor results, however when polled WorthyOut came up with the following:

What is the single biggest issue you have with Nigel Worthington

Poor results

2%
 2% [ ]
Style of play / tactics

85%
 85% [ ]
Youth policy

0%
 0% [ ]
Transfer record / players brought in

0%
 0% [ ]
Relationship with fans

8%
 8% [ ]
Other (please state what in message)

2%
 2% [ ]

http://www.worthyout.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=500

Surely with him getting us playing passing football they havent got a lot to complain about at the moment?

Top 6 for me or he has failed 3 season''s on the trot.....

Yes i remember seeing  that poll. I didnt vote on it though because i personally have more than 1 issue with worthy. If there was another option for '' A mixture of all'' or something simular then i would have voted.

There is no doubt that the team are playing far better than last season,but after all we are only 2 games into this season. It does look promising though,but i am far from getting carried away with things. Worthy has a point or 2 to prove,and if he proves us worthy outers wrong then thats good for him,good for the club and good for the fans. Maybe we can all start to get along a bit better then. Until then i will back the team as usual but keep a canny eye on worthy!

It will be interesting to see if half decent football continues whether the Worthy Out movement will decide if one of the other issues will become the main problem with the manager or whether they will just be happy that they got what they asked for.

My instinct tells me that they will just find another stick to beat him with.

"they"??

CJF, are you excluding yourself from the WO campaign on the basis on two good performances and 3 points?

It doesn''t change anything or me. For me we have the same manager, 99% the same team and yet the passing has returned (at least whilst Croft is on the pitch).

So what''s changed?

1. An enforced absence of Andy Hughes,

2. A much-needed right winger (identified by who? if it wasn''t hunter why wasn''t he bought earlier in the transfer window?)

3. A new first-team coach with fresh ideas? Is NW more willing to listen to him?

I''m not saying that NW hasn''t had any input in the change but don''t under-estimate the impact of the new coach (and the power of the protests/atmosphere at FCR last season, as you said before)

I agree and this was the point of my post yesterday.

There does seem to be almost an obsession with passing football and when you think about it, what with the long preseason to work on this away from the pressure of match day situations, fan pressure, media glare etc, Worthy and Hunter have built the confidence in the team to knock the ball about. The style that we have seen so far has NOT been seen from City sides ever since Worthy was appointed over 5 years ago so, for some reason, he has decided to make this strategic shift.

I honestly think the fan pressure finally told on Worthy and the Board and they both realised that a simple continuation of last seasons style would very quickly see a resumption of hostilities at Carrow Road and that would have been totally unacceptable. 

So all the ''negativity, chanting and booing'' that some posters have slated just MAY have been responsible for the quality that all fans are now (for the moment anyway) enjoying. Just a pity that some people can''t bring themselves to accept that!  

I think the Croft question is easily answered.

Man City needed him last season, and instead of blowing our budget on someone worse we waited and got our man.

Personally I''m delighted because, if Croft keeps up his performances, it shows that Worthington still has the stones to identify his man, wait for him and get him in the bag. So to speak.

and of course, getting a new coach in was who''s idea? (bearing in mind Foley leaving & the way it happened got a few peoples'' backs up.)

I remember when Worthy was first appointed. 2% wanted him as manager in an Evening news poll. Next season we got the playoffs, everyone was happy. Deason after was bitterly disappointing after a great start. Worthy out they cried. We all know what happened the season after.

I think that takes us nicely to where we are now...

[quote user="jetstream"]

"they"??

CJF, are you excluding yourself from the WO campaign on the basis on two good performances and 3 points?

It doesn''t change anything or me. For me we have the same manager, 99% the same team and yet the passing has returned (at least whilst Croft is on the pitch).

So what''s changed?

1. An enforced absence of Andy Hughes,

2. A much-needed right winger (identified by who? if it wasn''t hunter why wasn''t he bought earlier in the transfer window?)

3. A new first-team coach with fresh ideas? Is NW more willing to listen to him?

I''m not saying that NW hasn''t had any input in the change but don''t under-estimate the impact of the new coach (and the power of the protests/atmosphere at FCR last season, as you said before)

[/quote]

Good points, especially about first name on the teamsheet Hughes. I am willing to give him a chance, as performances have improved and it is the start of a new season, but if we are not challenging I will put my Worthy Out hat back on in an instant.  As many have said it has been 2 games against 2 teams rife with disruption both of whom drew their other game against poor opposition.  At the moment there are no obvious managerial targets as most have been snapped up or signed new deals.  It would cost a fortune to prise a manager from another club and sack Worthless.

A failure to get promoted is a FAILURE, the 3rd season of FAILURE on teh trot, a failure to finish in the top 6 is a TOTAL UTTER FAILURE and the board will have been proven to have made a disastrous errror in keeping him on.

Oh yes I remember that excellent poll (did I write it?) and it was to find out a single point that was at the root of people''s complaints.  As a consequence Worthy Out started the anti hoofball policy and had early reaction from Greeno !!

I can only speak personally but for me it is the way we play and things are looking promising in those first two games.  However the second half on Saturday was not good enough and we are reliant on key players for this style to work.

Equally it is good crisp SAFE passing at the moment and we need the cutting incisive passes as well if we are to turn it into goals.

My school report is "promising start but Nigel needs to work at his style and presentation and not be distracted when things aren''t quite as easy"

The site has focused on what they saw as the key weeknesses with last season failures.   Overwhelmingly this was the style of football being played.  

With 90% the same playing staff as last season we have seen water turned into wine over a close season;  the performance was unrecognisable from even the BEST performances of last season because of a changein the way the ball is treated, the way to win games rather than a bomb about to explode at any minute so best to get it as far away from me as possible.   In those objectives the site was right to focus on those issues and the proof was Tuesday night.   Saturdays report seemed good first half, too much hoof ball second.

However it is only 1 game (for most of us) and there is still huge progress to be made; more creative passing, more support for the strikers from midfield, more midfielders in the squad as cover but most importantly consistency over a period of a dozen games before any assessment can be made. 

If the current progress continues I am very confident that the worthyout site will simply close down.   2 games in is too soon for any sort of moral victory to be claimed