Sign in to follow this  
Muffles

Marriage & Football

I''m getting married tomorrow (Sat 29th July) and despite best efforts to organise around football (i.e. World Cup, new season etc) it seems I''m gonna miss our illustrious friendly against Northampton (sob!), but more importantly, have booked the honeymoon to run the first week of the season, thus missing our first 2 home games.

Does anyone have a story about either missing big games due to weddings (not necessarily your own) or gone to great lengths to get out of attending a wedding (again, whether its your own, close friend or relative) to watch the football?

In my years, I''ve attending a wedding on an FA cup Final day (Wimbledon / Liverpool) and had to attend my god-daughters christening on the 2002 World Cup Final day.

Firstly good luck tomorrow!

One of my mates had to attend his Sisters childs christening - and it happened to be the same day as the play-off final in the Millenium Stadium vs Birmingham.  To say he was gutted was an understatement.  He''s still ribbed to this do about missing the game!

i had the pleasure of getting married to my wife on November 10th 2001, a day when City were at home to the mighty Bradford. As we were getting hitched at 1 i thought my wife would let me go to the match after and id be back in time for the reception. However she did not and as things turned out it was a good decision as City got cuffed 4-1 at home! I did however have my mate listening to norfolk with an earpiece keeping me updated but once the third goal went in he turned it off! I got plenty of stick that day, especially as my wife is a fan of the local opposition from suffolk! I dont let that spoil a good relationship though.

Conversely, my impending wedding is on Friday 4th August in Rochdale, giving all the Norfolk guests the ideal opportunity to pop into Leeds for the first games of the season on the way back, although I don''t think the missus will let me disappear on the 1st day of marriage!!!!

As many people do, I chose my wedding and honeymoon dates to suit the weather, caterers and my wife and I little dreaming that in the intervening months City would do the seemingly impossible and spent the 2001 play off final day on a beach in Cuba with no radio or tv link.

I love her dearly but DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot recall who we were playing on the day I was wed so I must have been in love (and still am!).

However, my wife has never forgotten arriving at the honeymoon suite from our reception and having to wait for the requisite consummation because I wanted to watch ''match of the day first.'' Start as you mean to go on!

I missed the 4-4 home thriller with Southampton at another family wedding and was best man while City were away and recall popping into a shop on the way to the reception and trying to get a copy of the Pink Un.

[quote user="vicar in green and yellow"]

''One of my mates had to attend his Sisters childs christening'' - we call those neices!

[/quote]lmao! Dunno if this counts but i missed the england portugal game in euro 2004 by chewing gum and knocking the clot off inside my mouth from where i had a tooth taken out the day before, i lost 3 1/2 pints of blood - fainted 3 times - seriously you wouldn''t have thought blood could ''gush'' out of your mouth like that!