Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Inability in the transfer market

19 championship teams have signed players now

Wolves
Ipswich
Sunderland
Derby
Norwich

Many Worthy Outers were laughed at earlier for worrying about the lack of transfer activity, well we are down to 5 clubs now, 2 of which have no manager, and 2 have changed manager.  It seems the lesson''s of last season''s late transfer activity have not been learned.  It also seems as if Worthy has no idea of any players to sign beyond the obvious targets.  Having seen the varied players George Burley has signed for Southampton from various leagues around the UK and the world it makes a mockery of our managers ability in the transfer market and apparant knowledge of football.

Plymouth manager Ian Holloway has signed Manchester United striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake for a fee of £200,000.

Hull City have followed the capture of Dean Marney with Swansea City''s Sam Ricketts.

Hull City have finalised the signing of Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Dean Marney.

Former Celtic midfielder Mark Fotheringham has been handed an opportunity to earn a contract at Southampton and is on trail.

Goalkeeper Darren Ward has been handed a trial by Barnsley.

Hull City manager Phil Parkinson has handed trials to Martin Brittain and Lloyd Dyer as he bids to strengthen his squad ahead of the coming season.

IMO and ever since this was endorsed in an interview I heard on radio with Sir. Clive Woodward, this is the real mark of a manager.

Many, many players move to Clubs because of the manager and for little other reason....says it all really.

By the way has anyone else seen www.stadiumguide.com it is fascinating with some stadiums looking too similar but others simply fabulous.

Mr Rankin ,

Your continual monitoring of this situation is borderline obsessive.

The number of players that each club signs will obviously differ due to the differing situations at each club and how many players they have lost during the summer.It is not a gauge of how good/clever/ambitious they are.

A few clubs in our division have signed foreign players from different leagues that I certainly haven''t heard of before - have you ? How do you know if they''re any good ?

We are going to get nowhere fast this year if everyone is as negative as you.

Don''t get upset at any adverse comments Paul R, as you are one of a number who can say we told you so, whether it be after 6, 10 games or at the end of this season when City''s death spiral will be almost complete, no parachute and only 12k season tickets or thereabouts.

I see Dicky has emerged from hibernation.

[quote user="pete"]

Don''t get upset at any adverse comments Paul R, as you are one of a number who can say we told you so, whether it be after 6, 10 games or at the end of this season when City''s death spiral will be almost complete, no parachute and only 12k season tickets or thereabouts.

[/quote]

So,presumably yourself and Mr Rankin and your like will come out and say you were wrong if the opposite happens ?

Christ on a bike Rankin, you seriously need some new material.I mean its about 2 months solid now you''ve continuously posted the same subjects, every time in new threads almost daily. Very rarely do you ever add anything new to these effective re-hashes. Just the same old subjects, over and over.We know you want Worthington out, we know you hate Hughes and we know you''re disappointed we haven''t signed any new players yet, k? So now you can spend what promises to be a lovely Sunday enjoying the weather rather than reposting your stock subjects here.No need to thank me, the respite from the most repetitive poster I''ve encountered in my 10 years on the internet will be reward enough.

[quote user="Maverick"][quote user="pete"]

[/quote]

So,presumably yourself and Mr Rankin and your like will come out and say you were wrong if the opposite happens ?

[/quote]Yes, those of you who are writing the team off immediatly are setting yourselves up for your own "I told you so" but the same is true for those who are at the other end of the scale. For me I can''t honestly say what I think will happen because I don''t have a clue, I guess thats the beauty of football never knowing what will really happen. Personally I''d rather Maverick is telling all us doubters "I told you so" come 6-10 games into the season.

Sorry Maverick but our squad is in desperate need for additional players, particuarly midfield players, I don''t see how anyone can try to defend that fact and pretend it''s all ok

It dawned on me a couple of weeks ago that the club  were not going to  sign up  any new players,  just for the sake of it ....   and I think that is a correct decision !     the club has already spent half a million on agents fees   , its like feeding  vultures !    seems to me that  the arrival of Hunter   has  shifted   the policy towards   getting the best out of the players we have  ?  the question is ...  is Hunter a Nigel clone  ?   or has he been given  a big say-so   in   management  ? 

I would love to be so utterly entirely wrong Maverick!  And I will start the season in full support of the team and management.  But my tolerance to poor results is going to be lower than last season, losing away at Leeds and Home to Preston for example will be too much.

This season has to start well - these players have had a season to play together there are NO EXCUSES.  If a major player gets injured there are NO EXCUSES.  Funding was available in January - The manager decided to spend the whole budget on one player - his choice.

Lat season we were told NO EXCUSES, all we got was excuse after excuse - players not settling, relegation hangover, the ashton afair - the sort of things a good manager gets his players to put out of their minds.

[quote user="John Boubepo"]Sorry Maverick but our squad is in desperate need for additional players, particuarly midfield players, I don''t see how anyone can try to defend that fact and pretend it''s all ok
[/quote]

I''m not saying it''s OK that we haven''t signed anyone.You''d have to be an idiot if you can''t see we need more players.

I just don''t think we need a daily update on which clubs in our division have signed players and which haven''t.It''s not relevant to our situation.

Although I was getting concerned at the lack of transfer activity this summer, I''m becoming less worried that we haven''t signed anyone yet. The last thing we need to do is go out and buy someone who doesn''t add anything to the squad. I''d rather we signed no-one to avoid that event from occurring, or just one player, if he really did add something.

I have been thinking back to past Norwich seasons to find a parallel with what happened last season (i.e. under performance) and then a summer with virtually no transfer activity. The one which came to my mind is 1988/1989. The season before, in the old first division, Ken Brown almost got us relegated before Dave Stringer came in. He saved us (finished 14th or something), and then with only the addition of Malcom Allen (who was only a reserve to Rosario and Fleck anyway) and Andy Townsend in the summer (actually Townsend after the season had started...), we were on for the double until March, lagely with the same group of players who had almost taken us down the year before!

My point is, drastic changes don''t necessarily make a huge difference. A core of good players, a settled team, and the emergence of young players could be the mixture that''s required to get us promoted. I think the emphasis is now moving towards youth in our squad, and that to me can only be a good thing. I say that is a good thing, because the only way Norwich are going to get into the Premiership and survive for more than one season is going to the coming together of an excellent group of young players, supported by a handful of good experienced senior pros. Because lets face it, we''re never going to have the money to go out and buy the necessary players to achieve this aim. And don''t forget, every player we buy blocks the first team for a youngster.

Despite all this, I do want us to buy a right winger, and as I''m not overly convinced by Thorne, a target man would be useful. But if Jarvis can come the fore, then maybe the target man isn''t a priority. Still a right winger..

All players transferred to clubs so far have been way overpriced and I for one wouldnt have wanted Norwich to have spent so unwisely and all the free transfers have been nothing to get excited about.

Hull are welcome to Marney