Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Spurs have bid for Curtis Davies rejected

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=389559&CPID=8&clid=35&lid=4161&title=Baggies+block+Spurs''+Davies+bid

What a fool that Martin Jol is!!!  Don''t they realise nobody does their transfer buisiness at this time.....

"This is a time of year when a lot of football people take their holidays, myself included" - Nigel Worthington, £15,000 a week.

Wigan have two bids accepted

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=389568&CPID=8&clid=111&lid=2&title=Wigan+have+two+bids+accepted

Fools!!!  Paul Jewell,  What a clown!!  ...they''re working round the clock.

What a waste of energy, don''t they realise people are on holiday and deals don''t start getting done until the first couple of weeks of June at the very earliest?!

"Our supporters can rest assured that Dave Whelan, Paul Jewell and I are working closely to improve the squad and that we will continue to work around the clock until we feel the club is ready for next season."  Latics chief executive Brenda Spencer, ambitious club

"This is a time of year when a lot of football people take their holidays, myself included" - Nigel Worthington, £15,000 a week, Prudence FC

at least ensure you don''t leave huge holes in your arguments.

"This is a time of year when a lot of football people take their holidays, myself included" - Nigel Worthington.  This appears to be a factually correct statement.

Clarke in and Thorne out - smells a bit like some football related transfer type business to me. 

Surely a better point to this thread is that if Tottenham buy  another centre half then Davenport becomes more likely to leave.  Try and put a football spin on a thread for a change rather than turning a story about Martin Jol and West Brom into a chance to slag off Worthington.  Go on - I dare you!.

I remember Worthington saying there was nothing in the Damien Francis rumour 3 years ago - only to unveil him two days later. I might start a thread calling Worthington a two faced liar.  According to a rumour I''ve heard, if we hadn''t have signed Andy Hughes then Wembley would have been ready for the FA Cup Final.

[quote user="Nobby G"]

at least ensure you don''t leave huge holes in your arguments.

"This is a time of year when a lot of football people take their holidays, myself included" - Nigel Worthington.  This appears to be a factually correct statement.

Clarke in and Thorne out - smells a bit like some football related transfer type business to me. 

Surely a better point to this thread is that if Tottenham buy  another centre half then Davenport becomes more likely to leave.  Try and put a football spin on a thread for a change rather than turning a story about Martin Jol and West Brom into a chance to slag off Worthington.  Go on - I dare you!.

I remember Worthington saying there was nothing in the Damien Francis rumour 3 years ago - only to unveil him two days later. I might start a thread calling Worthington a two faced liar.  According to a rumour I''ve heard, if we hadn''t have signed Andy Hughes then Wembley would have been ready for the FA Cup Final.

[/quote]

Unfortunatly we will find out if this summer will be any better than last..  If not, well, thats it isnt it. All the high earners will be off at the end of next season.  Andy Hughes may still be here however.  And Etuhu may still be leeching money off us.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=389559&CPID=8&clid=35&lid=4161&title=Baggies+block+Spurs''+Davies+bid

What a fool that Martin Jol is!!!  Don''t they realise nobody does their transfer buisiness at this time.....

"This is a time of year when a lot of football people take their holidays, myself included" - Nigel Worthington, £15,000 a week.

[/quote]Seriously man, do you do anything other than try to find stats and/or articles to use against the manager? What exactly has Worthington said which isn''t true?

Just to add a touch of balance to the story, here is the full version of Worthington''s quote (I have italicised some words):

“It''s a time when a lot of people in football are taking their holidays, myself included, but there is still a lot of work going on behind the scenes,” he explained. “We have identified a number of players who would strengthen our squad and it''s a case of putting in the phone calls and seeing what the situation is. It''s question of adding everything up - the transfer fees, the salaries, whether clubs are prepared to let certain people go out on loan, and such-like - and then seeing if something can be sorted out.

“These things take time and, as I said, it''s case of everyone being patient. You never say never in football so I wouldn''t rule out the possibility of something happening soon. But I should imagine it will be a little while yet before we are in position to announce any new arrivals.”

(from http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED22%20May%202006%2017%3A58%3A55%3A450 )

whilst this isnt a dig at worthy, "On holiday" is a bit of a myth in football...

take Clarke for Example. he could be sunning himself on Bondai beach as u read this, day 1 of a 2 week break... But if we had a bid accepted for him he''d be back in rainy Norwich by Friday morning, with Worthy sitting next to him at a press conference...

so a "holiday" in football is somethingof an excuse to not act in the transfer market till a set time.

jas :)

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

Of course players are more likely to wait ''till later in the summer in order to weigh up all options.
 There will always be a handful of players who''ve already agreed terms earlier in the season or have their heart set on a move to a certain club.
Likewise the club isn''t likely to want to waste a month or twos wages (which could be 50, 80, 100 grand...thats not small change)

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

Of course players are more likely to wait ''till later in the summer in order to weigh up all options.
 There will always be a handful of players who''ve already agreed terms earlier in the season or have their heart set on a move to a certain club.
Likewise the club isn''t likely to want to waste a month or twos wages (which could be 50, 80, 100 grand...thats not small change)[/quote]

How about buying the players you want early, giving them a chance to move house, find schools and settle in, meet teammates, get a full pre season and hit the ground running come august??

Not worth it really eh Herb??  especially when we can spend the money saved on expensive loans sitting on the bench or back at Dunstan Hall....

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

Likewise the club isn''t likely to want to waste a month or twos wages (which could be 50, 80, 100 grand...thats not small change)[/quote]

How about buying the players you want early, giving them a chance to move house, find schools and settle in, meet teammates, get a full pre season and hit the ground running come august??

Not worth it really eh Herb??  especially when we can spend the money saved on expensive loans sitting on the bench or back at Dunstan Hall....

"How about buying the players you want early, giving them a chance to move house, find schools and settle in, meet teammates, get a full pre season and hit the ground running come august??

Not worth it really eh Herb??  especially when we can spend the money saved on expensive loans sitting on the bench or back at Dunstan Hall..."

Oh dear! Thats precisely the point though isnt it?Its coming up to the end of the summer term so if you were a player you would be taking your kids out of school at the time when sats and things are done I believe, my mother being a teacher. Therefore you would not want to take your kid out of school to look at a new one.Moving house - ok, having worked as an estate agent the summer is one of the buisiest periods in the market. Norfolk is reletively cheap in comparison to the South East and other more popular areas but so far as I understand you would have had to accepted terms etc etc etc before even thinking about buying. Some players prefer to rent for their first season to see if they settle in.Meet team mates. Right well unless you missed the last few weeks of news the players are currently on a break and away on holliday as are quite a few others. In  most cases the players that have moved so far have either wanted away from their current clubs like Andrew Johnson or they are out of contract - in both cases they will have stayed around to try and get somewhere as quickly as possible.Saying that there will be a lot of work going on behind the scenes contacting clubs, players and agents and its not that Worthington has said that buisiness is NOT going to be done now, he has said it is UNLIKELY. For example the Clarke rumour which he admitted to kind of slaps this whole thing in the face. Because in that he admits to contacting West Ham.CJF please stop the Witch-hunt, you are pushing so hard for Worthingtons head that eventually you will turn him into some sort of martyr. And to be quite frank if that happens there will be no getting shot of him at all.

It seems to me as though he is making moves to get players in and out - I don''t see anything in what Worthington has said to suggest he isn''t. I''m not the man''s biggest fan but this really does seem a bit tenuous.