Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Palace yardstick cannot be ignored!

Crystal Palace make the playoffs, so Nigel and Delia, why couldn''t we?.

Damn, silly me, our green shirts stopped us, strange, they didn''t when we went up!.

This nails the lie that everyone struggles when they get relegated from the premiership, knowing Palace, I bet they make the final at least.

Now thats acceptable Nigel!.

My god yes we can compare finnishing places if you like. Thats very easy. And well done Crystal Palace have finnished in the play off places. But if you are going by that what about Southampton? Still have many good quality players and have struggled to produce even when Walcott was playing for them.Palace however have had:- Reletively little squad changes.- Few if any "big" departures.- Still have AJ who has been quality all season.However they still don''t own their own ground. This means there is not much they can do to develop profit making schemes on site. Thats a huge problem. I believe Jordan is looking to buy it over the summer so they can actually own it and develop it as an asset of their club.Other than that I would say yes they have had a reletively good season although they have been beaten like us by teams that are a lot worse than they are.Should Worthington and Delia be looking at them? I am sure that Worthington has done and they would both like to see the club in that position. Delia not being the chairperson is limited to what she can on her own merit. Are the board looking at it? Yes and I am sure that they have been working things out and discussing possible outcomes of this season.I still think that if you look at Worthingtons reccord at this level he is a top manager. Like I have mentioned elsewhere when he came along we we looking to survive relegation and look to get back into the top half of the table which had been a problem for quite a few seasons. Other than the first half a season he has had we havent finnished outside of the top ten. And for me that says a lot because you will not find many managers as consistant as that.

[quote user="chicken"]My god yes we can compare finnishing places if you like. Thats very easy. And well done Crystal Palace have finnished in the play off places. But if you are going by that what about Southampton? Still have many good quality players and have struggled to produce even when Walcott was playing for them.

Palace however have had:

- Reletively little squad changes.
- Few if any "big" departures.
- Still have AJ who has been quality all season.

However they still don''t own their own ground. This means there is not much they can do to develop profit making schemes on site. Thats a huge problem. I believe Jordan is looking to buy it over the summer so they can actually own it and develop it as an asset of their club.

Other than that I would say yes they have had a reletively good season although they have been beaten like us by teams that are a lot worse than they are.

Should Worthington and Delia be looking at them? I am sure that Worthington has done and they would both like to see the club in that position. Delia not being the chairperson is limited to what she can on her own merit. Are the board looking at it? Yes and I am sure that they have been working things out and discussing possible outcomes of this season.

I still think that if you look at Worthingtons reccord at this level he is a top manager. Like I have mentioned elsewhere when he came along we we looking to survive relegation and look to get back into the top half of the table which had been a problem for quite a few seasons. Other than the first half a season he has had we havent finnished outside of the top ten. And for me that says a lot because you will not find many managers as consistant as that.
[/quote]

wayne routledge there 2nd best player he left for free, Ian Dowie kept his squad together not letting players leave if they didnt have to - worthy let players go for nothing

We had Ashton but didnt play to his strengths.

Anyway Palace are comfortably in the play-offs after a poor start, we are comfortably 13 points behind the play-offs after a poor start??  what more needs to be said...

5 million spent

Here we go again....WO and KTF trying to score points, yes Palace did make the play offs (a valid point), no Southampton did not (an equally valid point), so what does it prove ?.........bugger all, I only care about how Norwich have done and whatever camp you are in it has been a dire season for us and one I cannot wait to see the back of, now please all of you let it drop will you.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Damn, silly me, our green shirts stopped us, strange, they didn''t when we went up!.

This nails the lie that everyone struggles when they get relegated from the premiership, knowing Palace, I bet they make the final at least.

[/quote]If you really want a sensible answer, IMO it has a lot to do with the size of the squad.  We started with 23, Palace had 31.  The responsibility for that lies primarily with the board.  They were complacent enough to think that because we''d done it before with a small squad (with oodles of luck, and before the transfer window came in), we could do it again. The fact that Johnson stayed and Ashton didn''t is also a factor, I would have thought.  

I''m not trying to score points off you, Wiz, simply trying to tell it like it is.

[/quote]

Also, Wiz, as you seem to be a superstitious soul, we did not have those away shirts when we went up (they were much nicer!)

[quote user="DuncanMirams"]we did have the green shirts. they just didnt have stripes of a lighter coulor and where completely dark green.[/quote]

I actually said that we didn''t have ''those'' away shirts when we went up. I have one of the ones from the year we were promoted and they were definitely much nicer.

Who is trying to ignore it? And we could also have a look at the Southampton yardstick while we''re at it - cue CJF with huge list of transfer stats

But what about next year? who would you rather have as manager?

[/quote] I agree. Palace made good intelligent signings and kept good players. Southampton have sold most of their good players so you can''t really compare the two. All I can say is that if Palace can do it so should we have done and I don''t think you can get away from that fact!

Honestly not sure, especially if it also meant taking that prat Lowe on. People seem to forget the state of the s**ms second prem year, redefined underachievement for huge outlay.

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]    ignore him.
[/quote]

You do have a way with words don''t you kob, every time you reply, you bump my thread up................thanks.