Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Carl Robinson

I have watched Robinson closely in home matches as he is not obvious on the pitch and have concluded this is because he spends so little time on the ball. He always receives the ball and despatches it immediately, generally without a first touch and with a short pass to a colleague.

The trouble is, while good to move the ball quickly few of his colleagues can actually pass the ball so it gets hoofed.

Can anyone recall an instance where Robinson (who Etuhu said loves the ball but who despatches it like an unfaithful lover) received the ball and looked up for a killer forward pass, or even opened up or switched play with a long pass?  Perhaps there have been some which I fail to recall, but they are rare, he is hardly expansive.

More so, when did you see Robinson spend time on the ball or run or move it into space before releasing it?

In addition to him we have Hughes who simply cannot calm himself down enough to put a pass in, Jarrett (hopefully no more) who did a Greeno in looking round each time he received the ball then couldn''t get it out from under his feet,  the ''bishop'' who disappears for the majority of his time on the pitch and finally Youssef I''m injured/fasting/ANCing Safri who Worthington sees as his Makelele so the only good passer amoung them is put too deep to be effective. Look at his ball to Earnie for his latest goal when he actually did get forward.

Matches are won and lost in midfield. Ours is so poor it is the reason we bypass it with the hoof. I had hoped to see something more in Robinson as potentially he could have been the best of a bad bunch but why does he not express himself more?

I know what you mean Rudolf.

I actually quite like Robinson. But I think he''s playing a completely different game to that of those around him, so he looks lost.

He is a simple pass and move player, he plays the ten yard first time pass and then moves for the return, but hughes especially isn''t on the same wavelength so you won''t see Robbo again for ten minutes.

Your right as well when you say you won''t see him play the killer pass. It would be nice if he had more to his game but he is a player who does the simple things well but no more than that.

To sum up we have such a contrast of payers in midfield, they can''t compliment each others game. If there was another player of the Robinson style in the middle, you would see him more involved in the game. I would like to see him play along side Safri more. He can mix it up with sort and long balls. Of the midfield players we have, that would be my first choice.

You are right, he is playing a different game to the rest.  He is playing hide and seek - without the seek.  He conveniently places himself behind the nearest opposition player to avoid having to get the ball.

Either that or he is holding the end of the 10 yard skipping rope with Safri holding the other end, which seems to have an electric current passed through it if they get too close to the half way line.

The midfield have been chuffing hopeless all season.

[quote user="Nobby G"]

You are right, he is playing a different game to the rest.  He is playing hide and seek - without the seek.  He conveniently places himself behind the nearest opposition player to avoid having to get the ball.

Either that or he is holding the end of the 10 yard skipping rope with Safri holding the other end, which seems to have an electric current passed through it if they get too close to the half way line.

The midfield have been chuffing hopeless all season.[/quote]

Nobby,

I know it would seem like he hides but he''s trying to play quick one touch football (rightly or wrongly) and some of those around him are then launching long balls to Mars. So after his initial involvement, he is then excluded from that passage of play. And so in an entire attack, he may only be on the ball for two seconds. If there was a passing culture through midfield you may see him involved five or six times as they build up play.

Carl Robinson can be effective on the park if given the right service from others. Unfortunately this is not very often - Safri is the nearest one to a decent playmaker we have in the centre with him, but too many times he''s out injured or sick & without him we''re very thin on creative players.

Next season we''ll have to try & utilise Carl''s play it simple but nicely attitude which in theory should work in the Championship. We have to get in quality midfielders during the close season to benefit Carl & Youssef''s playmaking skills. Andy Hughes has limited playmaking skills while Darren Huckerby always gives his all & Jonaton Johansson (who we should try to tie down permanatly) try''s his best out of position.

To be fair to Hughes though & Etuhu we do need combative midfielders but with a tad more gile & culture.

Carl Robinson is NOT a bad player though. [8-)]

[quote user="Pierre Courtois"]

Carl Robinson can be effective on the park if given the right service from others. Unfortunately this is not very often - Safri is the nearest one to a decent playmaker we have in the centre with him, but too many times he''s out injured or sick & without him we''re very thin on creative players.

Next season we''ll have to try & utilise Carl''s play it simple but nicely attitude which in theory should work in the Championship. We have to get in quality midfielders during the close season to benefit Carl & Youssef''s playmaking skills. Andy Hughes has limited playmaking skills while Darren Huckerby always gives his all & Jonaton Johansson (who we should try to tie down permanatly) try''s his best out of position.

To be fair to Hughes though & Etuhu we do need combative midfielders but with a tad more gile & culture.

Carl Robinson is NOT a bad player though. [8-)]

[/quote]

Agree entirely. The problem with the entire team is that each has a particular strength if utilised could result in a good team. However, we seem to ignore this totally.

I will take it you are all joking. 

Quick one touch football!  Why do you think the defenders launch it into space....because the midfield two are standing two yards in front of them or have turned there back and hidden behind the nearest opposition player.  Number of goals from central midfield this season anybody?

If you are going to be a defensive midfielder then fine help improve the defending of the team - but we can''t have two of them. He should try and stop holding hands with Safri.

I put my thoughts down a couple of weeks ago in an earlier theread, and they haven''t changed - except perhaps to harden....

And let''s not forget Carlos Robinson, the Welsh windbag... full of promise when chatting to the press ("we owe them one; we''ll put one over them on Saturday; time for the lads to stand up and be counted", etc etc etc) but consistently delivers so little on the day. 

When I first saw Robinson at Carrer Rud, I thought he looked OK; quite comfortable on the ball; maybe even worth the £50K (just).

But as the weeks have gone by, I''ve noticed how much he dances around in space most of the time, with his knuckles just inches off the turf (I kid you not; just watch - if Worthless picks him again). He reminds me of my ol'' Dad on the dance floor when Rock Around the Clock gets played - not a pretty sight; indeed, a rather pathetic one, especially as he thought he looked good...

It''s the same with Carlos the Jackass, I fear - he''s always got a helpful comment for his team-mates ("Scr*wed up big time there, Flem", that sort of thing) but doesn''t exactly lead by example. His so-called ''passing'' last Friday [Burnley] was in a class on its own.

I just worry that Hooosie sees Robinson as the man to copy...

Robinson and Safri are both sitting too deep and basically playing the same role. IMO Safri needs to play higher up the park, remember too (I wish he would) that he can shoot.

For an insight into the Norwich style on open day go and have a look at the big photo of Huckerby''s goal against Palace in our opening Premier League home game last season which is situated at the back of the Jarrold Stand. Huckerby is way ahead of the rest who are lined up in typical formation and surrounded by defenders. It was a better goal than I appreciated at the time.  The midfield is so seperate it is ridiculous.

Later on in the season the midfield begins to lose contact with the defence and we get punished in the gap between. I remember the MOTD pundits pointing it out. Basically, for some time our midfield has been remote from the defence and attack. For me this comes down to a lack of width in that department.

I want to see Huckerby up front for the final games and with four round pegs in the midfield round holes be they whatever age or experience. I want to see Hughes at right back using his best assett, his stamina, to get up and down and I do not want to see loanees or players about to depart put ahead of contracted players.

I like what Oso Butch wrote here very funny.

Okay Carl may have turned in some dodgy performances in the last week or so but give the fella the benefit of the doubt he can only play to the best of his abilities & when his teammates around him don''t pass the ball to each other then what do expect. Be a little gentle in your critiscism of the wee little welshman.

He only needs to have two touchs...each time he gets the ball, not in the whole match.

I want him to show and receive the ball, control and pass.  Linking play all the time.  He doesn''t have to surge forward, he doesn''t have to hit raking passes, he doesn''t have to dribble.

He is supposed to be comfortable on the ball and a good short passer - then show it.

Shaun Carey was rubbish but he never shirked from always being available to receive the ball.  He would then pass it sideways and he got a nose bleed if he crossed the half way line but he always offered himself - allowing the rest of the team an option, keeping the ball on the ground and best of all keeping the ball.  Phil Mulryne the same.  So many flaws but hiding wasn''t one of them.

Safri can cover the back four in the Space Invader style, hiting 40 yard passes out wide. Or if Hughes is his partner then he can chase the ball, do the closing down and attempt the tackles. Robinson can show, control and move it on.  He doesn''t need to leave a central strip of grass 25 yards in the middle chunk of the pitch.

Saf and Robbo can be found in deep positions because of the long ball.

When we win the ball back, it is very quickly be followed up by the big hoof. If your a central midfield player, you haven''t caught up with play by the time it''s back down your throat again. This is why you see the space in between the front line and the midfield.

Not a great deal Saf or Robbo can do about that. That''s up to the manager to sort out.

interesting post rude old. for me, robbo plays best linking up with hucks and drury down the left side of midfield.  he is a link man, and keeps the play fluid, but recently he seems to defend too deep along with the rest of the team for my liking.

rudolph , you ask "why dosn''t robinson express himself more" well he has been with 8 clubs before city, and he has never once commanded a transfer fee , on till he came here .     i think that sums up dear old nidges exploits in the market 

remember a day spent out of norfolk is a day wasted