dylanisabaddog

The English National Anthem

17 hours ago, Grando said:

These days, you get arrested and thrown in jail if you say you’re English, don’t you?

Thrown in jail? When did this come in?

2 hours ago, cornish sam said:

As I say, they're not really countries in the pedantic sense, even that article states "Just like Wales and Scotland, England is commonly referred to as a country but it is not a sovereign state. " So I guess, yes, it does help...to support my arguement 😁

Just to be clear, I don't really care, I just like shtstirring on this subject...

You didn't read it did you? If England, Scotland and Wales weren't countries they would not be allowed to participate in national football competitions. A bit like Cornwall. 

Screenshot_20240329_174115_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f7f10df244b6fc871c7113bbda33c633.jpg

But they're not sovereign states, so technically they are not countries. They are allowed to participate in international football because they have separate FAs, largely because of historical reasons. The often cited reason for not putting in a GB olympic football team used to be because the individual FAs were concerned that FIFA would use it as a presence to strip of their own seats at the table.

Being recognised by the UN is a country, being recognised by FIFA is not (for example are Gibraltar a country now?)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You didn't read it did you? If England, Scotland and Wales weren't countries they would not be allowed to participate in national football competitions. A bit like Cornwall. 

Screenshot_20240329_174115_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f7f10df244b6fc871c7113bbda33c633.jpg

Sorry meant to quote you in the above...

And just for clarity, I did read it (hence I quoted part of it), I already knew all of that though as I'm not actually an idiot...

Edited by cornish sam

19 hours ago, cornish sam said:

As I say, they're not really countries in the pedantic sense, even that article states "Just like Wales and Scotland, England is commonly referred to as a country but it is not a sovereign state. " So I guess, yes, it does help...to support my arguement 😁

Just to be clear, I don't really care, I just like shtstirring on this subject...

Not only that, but it's a subserviant thing. A national anthem that is essentially pledging allegience to the reigning (not reining 😁🙄) monarch.

Now you can see this as a choice, as the Scottish and English thrones were eventually joined etc. However, pretty much every nation outside of England has a fairly strong separatist movement. Added to that, all have anti monarchy / republic supporting movements which often overlap, but not always.

Again, the fact that other countries use it is because they still elect to have the monarch as head of state and is, again, to do with our colonialist past.

I'm fine with the current national anthem but if I had to change it then I would choose this 

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I'm fine with the current national anthem but if I had to change it then I would choose this 

Charted as an import but was never released as a single in the Uk until the The Jam split up in 1982. 

Live version of Tube Station on the 7”

Weller at his finest. Doubt he’d want it to be a National Anthem though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Charted as an import but was never released as a single in the Uk until the The Jam split up in 1982. 

Live version of Tube Station on the 7”

Weller at his finest. Doubt he’d want it to be a National Anthem though.  

Maybe this one would be better 😊

• Like 1