Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

EFL Cup final

3 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

On a weekend you might get a few go across (although the novelty would soon wear off I imagine) but how many are going to do it on a Tuesday evening?

We have a good solid core of 700+ who are prepared to travel to god awful English venues midweek. They are likely to be up for a trip to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin, Belfast for an away game, even if it was Tuesday night. Add them in with the people who'd do it for the novelty, and I include myself in that (I would 99% be going to a meaningful fixture in any of the aforementioned cities) and you'd get 1,000+ going. It wouldn't be an annual thing because of simple statistics. And if you gain that sort of connection to a tournament, the prestige grows. As the prestige grows, so does the desire to win it, and it stops becoming a competition for EPL Reserve teams.

It might not work, but at the moment the EFL Cup is crap. I don't know what the TV audiences are but I would hazard a guess that they are ****. So try something radical to shake it up.

**** it, I'd be happy to see injury-time multi-ball given a go at this stage rather than persisting with the status quo.

7 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

The way football is going people are going to lose interest. We've got quite a few youngsters at work and only 1 of them follow football a support a team, that would have been unheard of when my generation was in their late teens/early 20s.

Even though in those days far fewer people actually attended games.

8 hours ago, Commonsense said:

You make this comment at least weekly!

That's because it's getting worse each week

8 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Even though in those days far fewer people actually attended games.

How many attending now are youngsters? 

14 hours ago, MC_NCFC said:

I just can’t understand how anyone could support the club that stopped us playing in Europe. I could never forgive Liverpool after that. 

11 hours ago, ricardo said:

For years after 1959 I harboured a grudge against Luton Town. Then one day I realised how pointless it all was. Now I can watch Luton on TV and never even think of Billy Bingham.

Pointless it may be Ricardo but I can’t for the life of me see how you can have any warmth towards those b*stards.

They stopped little ol’ Norwich from enjoying three seasons of adventure in European competition. We were fortunate to have that experience in 92/93 but Wimbledon and Oxford Utd were denied and are unlikely to get that chance again.

Liverpool did miss out during their six year exile but as a ‘ top six ‘ club they were always going to get back sooner rather than later.

**** em.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Pointless it may be Ricardo but I can’t for the life of me see how you can have any warmth towards those b*stards.

It's no longer something that keeps me awake at night. Plus I can enjoy a good game of football without being upset at the result. Liverpool play decent football as do Arsenal and Spurs but watching them doesn't make me a supporter and never will.

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It's no longer something that keeps me awake at night. Plus I can enjoy a good game of football without being upset at the result. Liverpool play decent football as do Arsenal and Spurs but watching them doesn't make me a supporter and never will.

I’m not upset at some results but not winning ones by the Scousers

5 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I’m disappointed that you can bring yourself to support the Scousers after what they did to us and others like us.

This is why there's so much division in the world, dislike aimed towards groups or individuals based on the actions of their forefathers gets us nowhere.

Celebrate Klopp and that Liverpool team, as he'll be gone end of season.  One of the few genuine characters and role models for me.

14 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I’m disappointed that you can bring yourself to support the Scousers after what they did to us and others like us.

A grudge is only a burden to those who carry it.

To forgive is divine.

(I of course exclude the Binners from this)

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ricardo said:

A grudge is only a burden to those who carry it.

To forgive is divine.

(I of course exclude the Binners from this)

Double standards there methinks

• Haha 1