Sign in to follow this  
How I Wrote Elastic Man

European Handball championships 2024

I suspect I know the answer to this,  but anyway.....

Anyone watching or interested in the current European championship currently being played in Germany?

I'm not a huge fan myself, but it is getting a lot of coverage here

Iceland drew their first game after being 2 goals down with about 30 seconds left. Faroe islands did something similar against Norway. I think this might be their first "big" international tournament, so there is a fair few of them out there.

1 minute ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I suspect I know the answer to this,  but anyway.....

Anyone watching or interested in the current European championship currently being played in Germany?

I'm not a huge fan myself, but it is getting a lot of coverage here

Iceland drew their first game after being 2 goals down with about 30 seconds left. Faroe islands did something similar against Norway. I think this might be their first "big" international tournament, so there is a fair few of them out there.

Caught snippets as I seem to get a lot of Faroe Islands-related stuff in my Facebook feed. They put up a hell of a scrap, really. Slovenia beat them by 3, Poland by 4, and they drew with Norway.

Apparently there were over 5,000 Faroese in Berlin urging their team on in the Norway match. Considering the total population of the islands is just over 50,000 then basically ten per cent of the whole damn population was giving it some serious hammer in there. 

The remarkable thing about the Faroese team is that you can probably argue that if they've got a national sport, it's rowing! But they don't half produce some good quality athletes/sportspeople considering such a small population size.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Caught snippets as I seem to get a lot of Faroe Islands-related stuff in my Facebook feed. They put up a hell of a scrap, really. Slovenia beat them by 3, Poland by 4, and they drew with Norway.

Apparently there were over 5,000 Faroese in Berlin urging their team on in the Norway match. Considering the total population of the islands is just over 50,000 then basically ten per cent of the whole damn population was giving it some serious hammer in there. 

The remarkable thing about the Faroese team is that you can probably argue that if they've got a national sport, it's rowing! But they don't half produce some good quality athletes/sportspeople considering such a small population size.

I had heard that the Faroese had 5,000 supporters with them. That's an amazing turnout. I  think there are a few thousand over from Iceland too. After Montenegro won earlier, Iceland is guaranteed a place in the next group stage 

I know very little about it save that once when I was in Germany I had dinner with a husband and wife who both played for the German national teams (the wife played at a world championship, the husband at a European one I believe). We didn’t talk much about sport but they did say the training was full on - they both had a main course risotto as a starter and said they needed to eat around 4,000 calories a day. I watched a few games after that but never really got into it. Might have a watch.

Handball is very popular in Poland, as is volleyball. I think that they are the sort of sports where participation is better than spectating. 

Handball is also very popular in Denmark and they think they are going to the European Championship. I listened to Peter Schmeichel on the radio the other day. He played a lot as a child and thought it had helped with his goalkeeping. 

Definitely a game to be played rather than watched! 

I don't think it's on any TV channels in the UK.

When I was in Finland we went to watch it as our hosts were big fans, my main memory was the leaping in the air when attempting to score.

The next day they took us to a Pesapallo (a bit like baseball) match, that was bizarre but to be fair we had a day watching Cricket on the TV when they visited us.

Edited by A Load of Squit

Silver medal for England in the handball prediction league 😊

I  couldn't watch a whole game, but the last 5 minutes of close games were worth a look. 

France beat Denmark in the final in overtime. If they had won in normal time, I'd have been top..

20240130_144549.thumb.jpg.8fa28e832016b14a3f88f18052c2306d.jpg