Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

From Hull - to Hallam

I thought I'd share a link to some non-league action that I watched the day after a trip to Hull last Friday for anyone who finds these things of interest. 

This was Hallam FC (the 2nd oldest surviving football club) versus Silsden FC in the 4th round of the FA Vase at Sandygate, the oldest continuously used venue for football. Despite their long history, this was Hallam's chance to get into the 5th round of this competition for the first time.

A gate of 1,015 watched Hallam win 3-1, on a pitch that has one of the steepest slopes in the country. £6 entrance, great selection of beers and good food too, it puts a lot if not most EFL grounds to shame.

Chris Wilder joined David Hirst as special guests. I had a chat with both, as well as Reverend from Reverend & The Makers and Hallam's club president Uriah Rennie (they don't feature in the video).

I hope you enjoy the video (rivals The City View for its quality and access to players), it gives a real sense of the fun had by all! 

Edited by shefcanary
  • Thanks 2

Looks fun. Just checked and their season has finished before I go to Sheffield in April. Otherwise I may well have ventured there myself. 

A great video.

Loved that wavy touch line down the left side. Couldn’t tell if that brick building at the back was their clubhouse but quite a few lower league clubs seems to have facilities that might seem above their status.

Certainly a lot more genuine passion and everyone seems to know everyone else. A couple of years ago I went to see a local team and spotted a pitch side memorial for one of the long serving back room staff. A woman started chatting about the memorial and I discovered she was the manager’s wife.

A different world.

Before anyone goes on about sloping pitches, the old Horwich RMI had a famously severe slope at their Grundy Hill home. I guess there's a clue in the ground name, but that was a diagonal slope if ever I saw one.

It looked really bad if you were near the old leisure centre. That said, we don't have particularly flat pitches in Bolton anyway. Ainsworth's pitch needs skis in winter and they spent loads on bloody levelling it!

EDIT: Not sure if this link will work, but here's that Ainsworth pitch I was on about.

28 Ainsworth Hall Rd - Google Maps

Edited by TheGunnShow

30 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Couldn’t tell if that brick building at the back was their clubhouse but quite a few lower league clubs seems to have facilities that might seem above their status.

Yes it is the clubhouse. And, it is now the only reliable drinking venue within a couple of miles of the ground, so given it is a residential area it is open much more than it used to be. A great facility.

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Before anyone goes on about sloping pitches, the old Horwich RMI had a famously severe slope at their Grundy Hill home. I guess there's a clue in the ground name, but that was a diagonal slope if ever I saw one.

It looked really bad if you were near the old leisure centre. That said, we don't have particularly flat pitches in Bolton anyway. Ainsworth's pitch needs skis in winter and they spent loads on bloody levelling it!

EDIT: Not sure if this link will work, but here's that Ainsworth pitch I was on about.

28 Ainsworth Hall Rd - Google Maps

The club have been informed that because of the slope, even if they gained promotion to the next tier, they would not pass their minimum test because of the slope and also because a third covered stand is required,so would have to stay where they are. Hence the focus on the cup run. 

The pitch is shared with a cricket club, which probably causes the wavy touchline (Hallam CC). It is difficult to level the pitch because of this without evicting the cricket team. But that cricket team can trace its roots back to the 18th century on this pitch as well, so a real dilemma. 

image.png.b2828fff3a3846d75c7ec8b9cb783b93.png

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I thought I'd share a link to some non-league action that I watched the day after a trip to Hull last Friday for anyone who finds these things of interest. 

This was Hallam FC (the 2nd oldest surviving football club) versus Silsden FC in the 4th round of the FA Vase at Sandygate, the oldest continuously used venue for football. Despite their long history, this was Hallam's chance to get into the 5th round of this competition for the first time.

A gate of 1,015 watched Hallam win 3-1, on a pitch that has one of the steepest slopes in the country. £6 entrance, great selection of beers and good food too, it puts a lot if not most EFL grounds to shame.

Chris Wilder joined David Hirst as special guests. I had a chat with both, as well as Reverend from Reverend & The Makers and Hallam's club president Uriah Rennie (they don't feature in the video).

I hope you enjoy the video (rivals The City View for its quality and access to players), it gives a real sense of the fun had by all! 

A good watch, that. No doubt about the red card 😆 

I'd encourage anyone who enjoyed that to have a look at  local football. Plenty of good football at Wroxham, Gorleston, Mulbarton, Harleston, Thetford, Fakenham and Mildenhall.  We are blessed in Norfolk at the moment. 

You'll be pleasantly surprised at the standard but avoid Gorleston home and away if you are irritated by a tw*t with a drum. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'd encourage anyone who enjoyed that to have a look at  local football. Plenty of good football at Wroxham, Gorleston, Mulbarton, Harleston, Thetford, Fakenham and Mildenhall.  We are blessed in Norfolk at the moment. 

You'll be pleasantly surprised at the standard but avoid Gorleston home and away if you are irritated by a tw*t with a drum. 

It's been well over 20 years since I moved out of Gorleston, do they still play at the same ground?

1 minute ago, Satriales said:

It's been well over 20 years since I moved out of Gorleston, do they still play at the same ground?

Sold to developers. They were intending to share with a nearby college but that fell through and they now play at the Wellesley in Yarmouth. The shame of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sold to developers. They were intending to share with a nearby college but that fell through and they now play at the Wellesley in Yarmouth. The shame of it. 

They flogged Emerald Park? I never knew that. Disgraceful. They should list long-established venues like they do old buildings.

8 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

They flogged Emerald Park? I never knew that. Disgraceful. They should list long-established venues like they do old buildings.

The ground where my local team plays has a sports covenant and I assume others are the same. But local councils are prepared to scrap those if better facilities are provided as part of a land deal. 

Emerald Park was a wonderful place but it was falling apart. I don't know enough about it to be able to say how that was allowed to happen. However, the financial management of Thurlow Nunn clubs has been poor historically and Norwich United bit the dust earlier this season.