Sign in to follow this  
Sufyellow

Why do we play backwards so much .

6 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Thanks for that, very interesting. I should've put a question mark after the comment because it was really a question, which you've answered. In the light of which I suspect lack of confidence - the fear factor - is driving our play, because it does seem other teams cut through us with ease too many times once we've lost the ball, resulting in our self belief evaporating. I can't believe Wagner isn't aware of that, but for whatever reason he obviously can't fix it

Totally agree , but not sure if it is all about confidence,  Sara has brilliant vision and a great pass, but even he now seems to just go backwards when in space rather than look for the killer pass. 

6 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's a cunning ruse to get the opposing team to get confused which way they're supposed to be playing and to score lots of own goals.

I some times wonder if Sara,  Nunez or Kenny may score a worldie into their own net. I think that's more likely to happen.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BigGrantsTash said:

Playing the ball forwards is just so Dean Smith.

You know things are getting bad when statements like this can stay up for six hours with no argument.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

I agree to a certain extent,  but sitting top of  the Barclay alot of great runs are totally missed and alot of the time they are more happy to go backwards than look for it. I was happy for Wagner to stay the rest of this season and maybe change in the summer,  with Knapper adding a couple of signings . But watching the 2nd half today I think the coaching is killing some attack minded players , Sara especially.  

You make two points - both correct:

1. Sitting on top tier of Barclay (or Riverend I’d guess) gives a really good perspective on movement of the forwards - either no movement, or runs that are ignored/not seen. I’ve said before that the coaching staff would benefit from watching the game from the Barclay upper, different perspective … although 

2. The coaching staff are the problem. If it were me I’d be working on different movement tactics that the players could employ mid game, and encourage getting the ball forward in fewer passes (not long ball, just less fannying around).

• Like 1

On 06/01/2024 at 19:21, Fen Canary said:

Lack of confidence would be my guess.

In all my years watching the club whenever we’ve been on a bad run and the crowd are getting restless players are reluctant to play the risky balls that have more chance of being intercepted. They retreat to a safety first mode and play the much less risky pass sideways to a teammate, even though it’s often the wrong decision and gives the opposition chance to regroup, thus making the situation worse in the long run

Or perhaps the way they are coached,told to do things

• Like 1

From the way Wagner's back-up team spend the match hunched over their computer screens, my guess is that this is stats based. Someone somewhere has produced stats which 'prove' that this type of play leads to more goals for and fewer against. This use of stats is why most teams now play out from the back, for instance.

People must make up their own minds whether this is good science or commercially-driven voodoo.

28 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

From the way Wagner's back-up team spend the match hunched over their computer screens, my guess is that this is stats based. Someone somewhere has produced stats which 'prove' that this type of play leads to more goals for and fewer against. This use of stats is why most teams now play out from the back, for instance.

People must make up their own minds whether this is good science or commercially-driven voodoo.

Think this probably says a lot. I'm in favour of the use of stats and clearly they have a huge role to play in tactics, player selection and recruitment.

But during the game it might be a bit better if the coaching team actually spent their time looking at what's going on in the moment on the pitch!

It also explains Wagners often ridiculous and predictable subs.  Presumably the stats suggest that Rowe only has the energy to last 65/70 minutes and therefore HAS to be subbed even when he is clearly the only one of our players actually doing something on the pitch!

• Like 1

I have no particular problem with the way we and nearly every club in the land play backwards and sidewards,some are just better at it than us but I must say that on Saturday I think Fisher,having advanced to a reasonable position, passed the ball backwards (apart from one very unfortunate forward pass) so many times it was painful to watch

• Like 1

When a Non-League club near me got second hand floodlights they kept blowing until the sparky noticed he had the wiring diagram upside down. Could it be our traynun diagram is upside down?

Disclaimer: This is a joke. Please don’t get angry. I know we’re in deep doo and this is a serious thread. Just looking to lighten up a miserable footballing new year. 

Btw belated New Year greetings to all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grumpy said:

I have no particular problem with the way we and nearly every club in the land play backwards and sidewards,some are just better at it than us but I must say that on Saturday I think Fisher,having advanced to a reasonable position, passed the ball backwards (apart from one very unfortunate forward pass) so many times it was painful to watch

All the full backs do it , when in space . That's what frustrates the fans , we take huge risk beating the press , then alot of the time when we do , we still go backwards and start again.