Yobocop

Yobocop's Big Post of the Week: Norwich City's Pop Culture

In John King's Football Factory there is a chapter called Norwich At Home and the main protagonists claim to shame is getting a hoofing off the Norwich boys. (I haven't read it for a long time so this maybe a bit hazy.)

On 04/10/2023 at 09:18, FenwayFrank said:

Whats-this-for.jpg

That’s my profile picture, and this is a picture I took of it the last time I was in Norwich.

77CD0B6D-4E3B-4436-976F-590338C8F43B.jpeg

• Like 4

Not quite Norwich, but in the Bear season 2 Carmie Berzatto mentions sketching trousers made of Worstead Wool. It’s pretty niche Norfolk reference but I liked it.  

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say that Clive wasn't a fan of the team we had in the 70's😊

Not safe for work or family.

If anyone is offended by Clive's opinion of us, I suggest they turn off before the bit about what the gorilla does with his wife 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Herman said:

In John King's Football Factory there is a chapter called Norwich At Home and the main protagonists claim to shame is getting a hoofing off the Norwich boys. (I haven't read it for a long time so this maybe a bit hazy.)

That's right, the author is extremely complimentary about Norwich as a team (this was early 90s, when we would regularly beat his team Chelsea and were renowned as an attractive passing side).

He also gets a beating off the Norwich Hit Squad I seem to recall, but they rather pale in comparison when he makes a trip to Millwall away!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

How did I forget to mention this? Seen them many times-two slightly different sets of lyrics, can’t remember if they both mention the Barclay Stand?

• Like 1

On 04/10/2023 at 11:05, Segura said:

I may have completely imagined this, but I'm sure there was an episode of Eastenders in the late 90s where the characters (Bepe and Gianni) were discussing a forthcoming game between Italy and Wales. One of them mentioned Iwan Roberts as a threat for the Italians and said something along the lines of 'You know the big guy who plays for Norwich". Think the incident made the Evening News.

As I said it could all have a been a bad dream.

On the subject of Eastenders I seem to remember the character played by Michelle Gayle (Hattie?) moved to Norwich to live with her parents who had moved there from Walford. In the deep recesses of my addled brain cell I recalled reading about an Eastenders writer who lived in Norfolk so I Googled it and it turns out she was responsible for creating the Di Marco family...........

• Like 1

On 05/10/2023 at 18:00, Herman said:

Reminds me of Away Days by Kevin Sampson. Had a chapter called Norwich Away and made it into the film adaptation too.

• Thanks 1

On 06/10/2023 at 15:58, Mr Angry said:

How did I forget to mention this? Seen them many times-two slightly different sets of lyrics, can’t remember if they both mention the Barclay Stand?

I was surprised Love on the Terraces hadn't been mentioned earlier 

According to the internet, the lyrics are as follows, though I think you are right, there are some different versions. I recall a reference to the Barclay stand in the song I know and love...

Her name is Sharon,
She came from Clover,
Her sister Karen,
A little skinhead,
She liked football,
She liked snooker,
She liked A Certain Ratio,
She liked the Monochrome Set,
Love, love, love on the terraces,

At the stadium,
By the river,
Buying her programme,
And a silk scarf,
She had a nice face,
And blonde hair,
She wore a tracksuit,
She was beautiful!

A goal at halftime,
The same as last week,
The crowd erupted,
As the goal went in,
The match got lively,
And the fight broke out,
I ran for cover,
And then I saw Sharon.

(spoken)
Yeah, I'll always remember the day I met Sharon.
There was chaos all around.
We looked over.
Our eyes met.
We fell in love.
It's as simple as that.

Love, love, love on the terraces (x3)
Me and Sharon,
Love... (x3),
She'll never walk alone,
Love... (x3),
She bought me a bovril,
She stole my heart,
Love... (x3)
She nabbed my programme,
She broke my heart.

EDIT - I'm sure those lyrics are not right. I'll give the song a listen and update 

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I was surprised Love on the Terraces hadn't been mentioned earlier 

According to the internet, the lyrics are as follows, though I think you are right, there are some different versions. I recall a reference to the Barclay stand in the song I know and love...

Her name is Sharon,
She came from Clover,
Her sister Karen,
A little skinhead,
She liked football,
She liked snooker,
She liked A Certain Ratio,
She liked the Monochrome Set,

At the stadium,
By the river,
Buying her programme,
And a silk scarf,
She had a nice face,
And blonde hair,
She wore a tracksuit,
She was beautiful!

A goal at halftime,
The same as last week,
The crowd erupted,
As the goal went in,
The match got lively,
And the fight broke out,
I ran for cover,
And then I saw Sharon.

(spoken)
Yeah, I'll always remember the day I met Sharon.
There was chaos all around.
We looked over.
Our eyes met.
We fell in love.
It's as simple as that.

Love, love, love on the terraces (x3)
Me and Sharon,
Love... (x3),
She'll never walk alone,
Love... (x3),
She bought me a bovril,
She stole my heart,
Love... (x3)
She nabbed my programme,
She broke my heart.

EDIT - I'm sure those lyrics are not right. I'll give the song a listen and update 

I think that is the album version-partial lyrics are on the back of the single.

In that version she comes from Southend (it's probably supposed to be Cromer on the album version?), she likes scooters instead of snooker and she likes the Cockney Rejects instead of The Monochrome Set.

The Barclay Stand reference is in the spoken part, I think it goes something like-

"Yeah, I'll never forget the day I found it, As the Barclay Stans was reduced to total silence and my mates indulged in mindless violence"

Then you get the lines "It was love at first sight as the gangs began to fight, but I couldn't give a toss as this match would be no loss" sung twice before going into the "Love On The Terraces" chorus.

The Peel Session version was probably different again!

image.png.b65906c2cdc03fc25e4579e25a1dcff2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So here's a tenuous one:

On Carter USM's seminal album101 Damnations there is a track "24 minutes from Tulsa Hill" where they mention "The Bostik Boys playing chicken in the box". The Bostik boys were Ruel Fox and Chris Sutton so called for their closeness on and off the pitch.

It's about 1.12 in.

8 hours ago, NWC said:

So here's a tenuous one:

On Carter USM's seminal album101 Damnations there is a track "24 minutes from Tulsa Hill" where they mention "The Bostik Boys playing chicken in the box". The Bostik boys were Ruel Fox and Chris Sutton so called for their closeness on and off the pitch.

It's about 1.12 in.

Brilliant this, thanks for sharing 

• Like 1