Sign in to follow this  
benchwarmer

Ryder Cup thread

First round (foursomes) Europe 4-0 USA in Rome.  After getting stuffed last time in the US, Europe are SO up for it.  You don't have to be a big golf afficianado to enjoy this.

Edited by benchwarmer

Was playing golf this morning and kept having to check my phone, sounds like we totally outplayed them. I cannot believe that the Americans have taken 5 weeks off and then come straight into the Ryder Cup, I appreciate these guys are professionals but if I don't touch a club every couple of days everything falls apart, I cant imagine being away from competitive golf for 5 weeks can be good for mentality etc.

• Like 1

Absolutely superb morning. The Americans looked shell shocked. Highlight was Rahm hitting the flag from the tee and ending up a metre away. The Americans had hit a superb tee shot and looked stunned. 

Getting a bit tired of the Ryder Cup. The hype is huge and getting bigger and worse each year. I am an avid golfer and play 2-3 times a week but just don't get the noise and hullabaloo. In a week's time the members will be telling you to shut up if you sneeze. Its false. I'm not being miserable, I just prefer my golf  differently.

But it is a competition so for those who revel in it a good start by our lads. But so did the US women and look what happened.

Edited by keelansgrandad

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

But it is a competition so for those who revel in it a good start by our lads. But so did the US women and look what happened.

Exactly.  The 5Live commentators are wetting themselves with excitement but it's far too soon to get carried away.

But for the US team to take the last three or four weeks off from competitive golf and think they can just turn up and win smacks of disrespect.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

First round (foursomes) Europe 4-0 USA in Rome.  After getting stuffed last time in the US, Europe are SO up for it.  You don't have to be a big golf afficianado to enjoy this.

100% this. I'm not much of a golf fan but I love watching the Ryder cup, have done for many years now. It's fantastic sporting theatre. Always enjoyable getting one over on the Americans as well!

51 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

In a week's time the members will be telling you to shut up if you sneeze. Its false. I'm not being miserable, I just prefer my golf  differently.

Depends where you play, Im sure the traditional clubs could be like that but golf is changing and they'll have to change too or their membership will die off and they'll be wondering why their tee sheets are empty. 

Not a huge golf fan, I occasionally have to play for work events without humiliating myself, but I love the Ryder Cup. Good day to be working from home with that in the background. 

5 points up at the end of the first day! 

My joy was slightly dampened when I heard Justin Rose is the oldest player on either side. I could have sworn he was a teenager 4 or 5 years ago..... 

24 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

That was absolutely incredible. Unbelievable. I don't know what else to say.

Jon Rahm sinks an eagle putt on 18 to halve his match.  How important that could be for Europe.

Edited by benchwarmer

22 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

Jon Rahm sinks an eagle putt on 18 to halve his match.  How important that could be for Europe.

And then Justin Rose making the US the ONLY side in Ryder Cup history to not win a single match in a day.

Incredible.

After a day 1 massacre, this morning felt pretty even, the US seem to be having the better of the afternoon though. Probably something to do with Scheffler and Koepa being benched.

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

After a day 1 massacre, this morning felt pretty even, the US seem to be having the better of the afternoon though. Probably something to do with Scheffler and Koepa being benched.

I wonder if Zach Johnson regrets picking Koepka, the only LIV player in either squad.  Not only can it undermine team spirit because of the divisive nature of the breakaway, but LIV golf is nowhere near as competitive and is therefore not the best preparation, to put it mildly, for the Ryder Cup.  I feel a bit sorry for Scheffler though.

Edited by benchwarmer

36 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

I wonder if Zach Johnson regrets picking Koepka, the only LIV player in either squad.  Not only can it undermine team spirit because of the divisive nature of the breakaway, but LIV golf is nowhere near as competitive and is therefore not the best preparation, to put it mildly, for the Ryder Cup.  I feel a bit sorry for Scheffler though.

Scheffler and Harman do not sit with the rest apparently. They believe they should be paid for playing. Never occured to them not to accept the invitation instead they create a division.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Scheffler and Harman do not sit with the rest apparently. They believe they should be paid for playing. Never occured to them not to accept the invitation instead they create a division.

They all do.  There's a rumour circulating that it's the reason why Cantlay refuses to wear a cap.  The golf=money equation is the underlying reason why the USA can't really be bothered with the Ryder Cup - unless it's on home soil, when toxic nationalism more or less compensates for lack of remuneration.

Edited by benchwarmer

Anger spilled out onto the car park afterwards. Cantlay's caddie stamped all over McIlroy's line after Cantlay sunk his putt. Mcilroy, Rose and Lowry objected but obviously weren't satisfied as it carried on later.

I said at the start I don't like the Ryder Cup for its hype and sportsmanship. The commentators make me sick when they crack on about the spirit of it. Read Billy Foster's book where he reveals some of the cheating and nasty aspects of the event especially from the US players.

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Anger spilled out onto the car park afterwards. Cantlay's caddie stamped all over McIlroy's line after Cantlay sunk his putt. Mcilroy, Rose and Lowry objected but obviously weren't satisfied as it carried on later.

I heard McIlroy was so angry that Lowry had to physically restrain him.  Cantlay was loudly booed at the end of the match and it sounded more than just a bunch of drunken yobs. Obviously they knew what had gone on.

Edited by benchwarmer